• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Watery eye

Sophiemm

New Kit
My bunny (aged 8 1/2 years) has developed a water left eye. He has a deformed tear duct in his right eye which causes him no bother and gets cleaned on a regular basis. I noticed his left eye this morning. I have cleaned his hutch out yesterday so thinking it might be the hay dust? The only thing to have changed in the past few days is that his adoptive brother of 6 1/2 years passed away on Thursday (he was 10 so the vet put it down the old age rather than myxo & RHD). I'm worried if it is a dental problem the stress is too much for him to have an operation at the moment. I have a saline solution cooling down at the moment to wash his eye.

Any advice?? I tried to pop into a local vet today to ask their advice but the receptionist wasn't available.

My bunny (aged 8 1/2 years) has developed a water left eye. He has a deformed tear duct in his right eye which causes him no bother and gets cleaned on a regular basis. I noticed his left eye this morning. I have cleaned his hutch out yesterday so thinking it might be the hay dust? The only thing to have changed in the past few days is that his adoptive brother of 6 1/2 years passed away on Thursday (he was 10 so the vet put it down the old age rather than myxo & RHD). I'm worried if it is a dental problem the stress is too much for him to have an operation at the moment. I have a saline solution cooling down at the moment to wash his eye.

Any advice?? I tried to pop into a local vet today to ask their advice but the receptionist wasn't available.

I am sorry for your recent loss :cry:

It may be that your remaining Bunny is a bit stressed by the bereavement and this has impacted on his immune system. Consequently he may have developed a minor infection in his eye. Or as you say, it could be that he got some hay dust in his eye and this has caused some inflammation/infection.

Dental problems are a possibility, but not a certainty. I would get your Rabbit examined by a Vet today so that he can be checked for any corneal damage/ulceration and if any infection is present then appropriate treatment can be given. In the meantime bathing the eye with a sterile saline solution is fine :)

I'm so sorry you lost your bun, but he sounds to have had a good long life with you :)

I hope it isn't a dental problem and it's just the dust that's made it worse. Was he sneezing as well?

Otherwise it could be a depressed immune system which has brought this to the surface. I would bathe the eye in cooled boiled water twice daily with soft cotton pads and see how he goes. If it begins to look red and sore, or doesn't clear up, you may need drops from the vet.

Good luck xx

Bathed his eye last night and it's cleared up this morning. Will bathe it a couple of times today just to be sure and keep an eye on it. Very strange.

Back