• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Diarrhoea

Slc

New Kit
I have an 8 week old rabbit, I got him a few days ago.
I totally forgot to ask what type of pellets he was on, so I emailed and asked and didn't receive an answer.
I decided to give him the pellets I had gotten him ( I know it should be done gradually) , as I didn't want to leave him without any.

I think this has upset his stomach, should I stop the pellets?
It could be that he is just peeing where he is pooping he's getting litter trained, I'm not sure yet though!

Any advice is appreciated :)

Last edited:
I totally forgot to ask what type of pellets he was on, so I emailed and asked and didn't receive an answer.
I decided to give him the pellets I had gotten him ( I know it should be done gradually) , as I didn't want to leave him without any.

It could be that he is just peeing where he is pooping he's getting litter trained, I'm not sure yet though!

Hello

It may be a combination of the stress of being in unfamiliar surroundings and eating a different type of food BUT diarrhoea in an 8 week old kit always requires prompt Veterinary attention.

http://www.netvet.co.uk/rabbits/diarrhoea.htm

I would not feed him any more pellets but make sure he has access to fresh hay and fresh water and get him seen by a Vet ASAP

Welcome the Forum Slc :wave:

Sorry to hear about your rabbit. There are many causes for diarrhoea in rabbits. If it's possible, I should take a photo of it and along with your rabbit, visit the vet to see what's going on. With true diarrhoea a rabbit can quickly become dehydrated and your vet should be able to help.

Good luck xx

Thanks guys! I think it was a false alarm, I think he's pooped and pee'd in the same spot. I changed out his hay tray and when he went I checked and his poops are fine but I'll still keep an eye out and if anything changes I'll get him to the vet.

I haven't been giving him many pellets only a few at a time as it's a sudden change of food and I've given him a tiny amount of readigrass(is this okay?) and plenty hay, will I still give him any pellets or leave it a few days?

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I think it was a false alarm, I think he's pooped and pee'd in the same spot. I changed out his hay tray and when he went I checked and his poops are fine but I'll still keep an eye out and if anything changes I'll get him to the vet.

I haven't been giving him many pellets only a few at a time as it's a sudden change of food and I've given him a tiny amount of readigrass(is this okay?) and plenty hay, will I still give him any pellets or leave it a few days?

As he's a young one, he really needs his food, so please ring (or write again) to the person you got him from and find out what he's been used to eating.

Hay and readigrass should be absolutely fine.

I'm glad he seems OK now. True diarrhoea is uncommon in rabbits, but needs prompt treatment if it happens

As he's a young one, he really needs his food, so please ring (or write again) to the person you got him from and find out what he's been used to eating.

Hay and readigrass should be absolutely fine.

I'm glad he seems OK now. True diarrhoea is uncommon in rabbits, but needs prompt treatment if it happens

Thanks for all your help!
I managed to get a hold of the person but I have to order the pellets in.
Should I just keep him off the pellets I've been giving him?

Is it possible to let us know which pellets he was on and the ones you have. We may be able to put your mind at ease as some of these pellets are similar.., but If he has already been eating your pellets with no problem then he should be ok.

Thanks for all your help!
I managed to get a hold of the person but I have to order the pellets in.
Should I just keep him off the pellets I've been giving him?

You're very welcome :thumb:

I would feed a little, or he may stop eating and you'll have another problem on your hands. I hope the pellets you need will arrive before Christmas? Or would it be possible for you to get some either sent from where he came from, or can you get over there to collect some? Ideally change over food is provided, unless it's readily available in the shop or wherever.

Is it possible to let us know which pellets he was on and the ones you have. We may be able to put your mind at ease as some of these pellets are similar.., but If he has already been eating your pellets with no problem then he should be ok.

He was on a pets at home own brand(sadly I don't live close and have to order). When my mum went her shop at Asda which is still a bit away, she picked up Asda nuggets that's all they had. I'm not happy with him being on them(although he seems to love them, I would have preferred a junior pellet) but by the time I have found out what food he was fed before, I'm struggling to get anything delivered before Christmas! I didn't want him going a few weeks without anything.

He was on a pets at home own brand(sadly I don't live close and have to order). When my mum went her shop at Asda which is still a bit away, she picked up Asda nuggets that's all they had. I'm not happy with him being on them(although he seems to love them, I would have preferred a junior pellet) but by the time I have found out what food he was fed before, I'm struggling to get anything delivered before Christmas! I didn't want him going a few weeks without anything.

You're right. Whatever you do, don't let him go a few weeks without anything!

Are his poops looking better now?

You're right. Whatever you do, don't let him go a few weeks without anything!

Are his poops looking better now?

Yeah they are absolutely normal, do you think I should just continue him on the pellets I've got him and just stick too that?

As by the time the pellets arrive, he would have been on the pellets I have him about 2 weeks!

Yeah they are absolutely normal, do you think I should just continue him on the pellets I've got him and just stick too that?

As by the time the pellets arrive, he would have been on the pellets I have him about 2 weeks!

If all seems well, then yes I would continue :thumb: Keep an eye and feed lots of hay (and readigrass if you have it). Then when the new pellets arrive, you can mix the two together and phase in the new ones you want him to be on.

Have you any photos? Love to see him :love:

If all seems well, then yes I would continue :thumb: Keep an eye and feed lots of hay (and readigrass if you have it). Then when the new pellets arrive, you can mix the two together and phase in the new ones you want him to be on.

Have you any photos? Love to see him :love:

How many pellets do you recommend I give him or will I just gradually give him more?:D
I have loads of him on my iPad, but I can't seem to upload any from it! :(

Back