• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mice!

Alicia

Mama Doe
I just put my hand in the guinea-pigs food bag and pulled out three dead mice. The shed where the food is kept is right by the fence and the other side of the fence is a wooded area so sometimes mice do manage to get in the shed, I have put the rabbit food in what I'm hoping is a secure place, thrown the piggy food away and put some humane traps down so the greedy little things can get back to the woods. It made me feel so weird I was holding these 3 dead mice in my hand :mrgreen:

I'm sorry hun.
We used to get this all the time when we kept chickens. Thy used to eat through the plastic containers to get at the food. They made nests in our skates so we wouldn't be able to go out on them until the mice had moved out etc.
The humane traps sound like a good idea x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Certainly you need to decant new food into an airtight tub. Keeps it fresh ... and safe from mice etc. The mice will disappear if their food source goes. I worry much more about rats than field mice.

I keep all the rabbits' food in the kitchen and I've never had a problem. Why were they dead I wonder?

That happened to us years ago. We now use those huge blue plastic barrels with black screw top lids. The ones we've got are stamped Aeroplane Pickle. Had them years, they're huge, hold at least 12 kgs of food. I think we got 3 for £10.

DSC_0239.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here's a pic of my food tubs.

I keep all the rabbits' food in the kitchen and I've never had a problem. Why were they dead I wonder?

Yes, I keep mine in the kitchen (when my rabbits are here!) in large tub.
I, too, was wondering why they are dead.

Back