• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Miscarriage???

Tamwill

Young Bun
Long story short... Surprise litter born late Tuesday 29th Nov/early Wed 30th Nov. Father moved to separate cage Thur 1st Dec so may have already impregnated again. Both mum and dad seem miserable to be separated but healthy and well, 4 babies all thriving and active. Just cleaned out female litter box and found what I think are possibly 3 foetuses. Taken pics to see what others think http://s1352.photobucket.com/user/Fibrofriendskirklees/library/?sort=3&page=1
Not sure how this works so forgive me if I've not uploaded correctly!

Not heard of a rabbit miscarriage before - but this definitely warrants a trip to the vet to get her checked out as it isn't a 'normal' discharge.

I think that looks more like bloody mucus rather than foetuses but that is just a laypersons opinions. I would want vet advice with that I think.

Long story short... Surprise litter born late Tuesday 29th Nov/early Wed 30th Nov. Father moved to separate cage Thur 1st Dec so may have already impregnated again. Both mum and dad seem miserable to be separated but healthy and well, 4 babies all thriving and active. Just cleaned out female litter box and found what I think are possibly 3 foetuses. Taken pics to see what others think http://s1352.photobucket.com/user/Fibrofriendskirklees/library/?sort=3&page=1
Not sure how this works so forgive me if I've not uploaded correctly!

I think you may be right

This is 3 miscarried foetuses at about 2.5 weeks gestation

*Warning graphic image, dont scroll down page if squeamish*

Tricky one, if you've still got it I'd be tempted to refrigerate and pop it to your vet if open tomorrow - presuming the mums not showing any signs of illness now. They should be able to confirm if it is miscarried foetus. That might be the best compromise to avoid upsetting the bond with the two week olds by taking her in.

I couldn't really make it out on my iPad but now on my desktop computer it is clearer and to me they do look like aborted foetuses. I think Tamsin's advice about asking the vet to look sounds good.

I couldn't really make it out on my iPad but now on my desktop computer it is clearer and to me they do look like aborted foetuses. I think Tamsin's advice about asking the vet to look sounds good.

Definitely

How is your Doe doing Tamwill ?

Doe and babies fine - had a dog PTS today so not feeling up to being on here but will reply properly tomorrow

Really sorry about having your dog pts. That must have been very sad for you.

Hope the rabbits are all well and that the vet was able to give you some useful information/advice.

Sorry about the loss of your dog but how did you have a "surprise" miscarried litter if you had a doe and buck together?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Sorry about the loss of your dog but how did you have a "surprise" miscarried litter if you had a doe and buck together?
The surprise litter was the first litter (I bought a pair of sisters that turned out to be brother and sister) the Misscarried litter wasn't a surprise as I knew he may have already impregnated her again by the time I got them separated.

Thanks for all condolences on dog - I think the shock has settled now

Update on Doe, vet advised that if there had been nothing before the "blobs" and nothing since then it was unlikely to be discharge and more likely to be spontaneous abortion. He also advised that unless she seemed unwell/not her normal self I should consider risks associated with taking her into the surgery - they keep all areas as sterile as possible but ultimately as sick animals pass through every day there is a chance of her picking up illness and passing it to the kits. On that advice I will be keeping a close eye on her and consulting with him again if I'm worried.
Little ones all seem healthy and happy 😊
Buck seems a tad miserable on his own so I'm interacting with him as much as I can

The surprise litter was the first litter (I bought a pair of sisters that turned out to be brother and sister) the Misscarried litter wasn't a surprise as I knew he may have already impregnated her again by the time I got them separated.

Update on Doe, vet advised that if there had been nothing before the "blobs" and nothing since then it was unlikely to be discharge and more likely to be spontaneous abortion. He also advised that unless she seemed unwell/not her normal self I should consider risks associated with taking her into the surgery - they keep all areas as sterile as possible but ultimately as sick animals pass through every day there is a chance of her picking up illness and passing it to the kits. On that advice I will be keeping a close eye on her and consulting with him again if I'm worried.
Little ones all seem healthy and happy ��
Buck seems a tad miserable on his own so I'm interacting with him as much as I can

Sadly I thought so :cry: Perhaps it is for the best though as the Doe is so young and she'd really struggle to nurse a second litter immediately after her first. I hope the Doe and her first litter of Kits continue to do well.

Again, I really am very sorry about your dog :cry:

Yes I feel if she has misscarried then it's a blessing really. She's very young to have a litter at all never mind two litters back to back 😱 I know it's what happens in the wild but as a domestic pet she deserves a better life than that.
Again thanks for condolences on dog, at the minute I'm consoling myself with the fact that he was an old boy who had a good life and he didn't suffer

Little ones all seem healthy and happy 😊

I am glad the little ones are all healthy and happy, and that the Doe is doing well. That's a blessing.
Sorry for the miscarriage, but I guess it's for the best.

I hope you and your Buck are OK :)

Back