• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

We've taken our buns hutch away today

jojosmum

Young Bun
Since we lost our 3 precious buns last month (we think they all died from rhd2) , their big hutch has been sitting empty at the top of our garden. Today, we decided to take it apart and are going to burn it along with our garden rubbish in case it has any traces of virus in it. We disposed of all of their cages and feeding equipment too. Too risky to hang onto anything we think. Feels really sad, like the end of an era. They were so much part of the family and the hutch took pride of place in the garden,so we could see them mooching in and out of it.

We will definitely rehome some more rescue buns in the future, but want to waIt about a year or so before we do this. Am I right in thinking that the virus can hang about for that long? I couldn't beat to bring any more buns into our family, only to lose them to this cruel disease.

Since we lost our 3 precious buns last month (we think they all died from rhd2) , their big hutch has been sitting empty at the top of our garden. Today, we decided to take it apart and are going to burn it along with our garden rubbish in case it has any traces of virus in it. We disposed of all of their cages and feeding equipment too. Too risky to hang onto anything we think. Feels really sad, like the end of an era. They were so much part of the family and the hutch took pride of place in the garden,so we could see them mooching in and out of it.

We will definitely rehome some more rescue buns in the future, but want to waIt about a year or so before we do this. Am I right in thinking that the virus can hang about for that long? I couldn't beat to bring any more buns into our family, only to lose them to this cruel disease.

I am sure that it must be very distressing to be disposing of the hutch etc, but you are doing absolutely the right thing by burning it all. I really am so sorry that the dreadful virus took all three of your Rabbits :cry:

I don't think there is conclusive evidence as to how long the RHD2 Virus can survive in the environment. Perhaps if/when you adopt more Rabbits you could arrange for them to be vaccinated before they come to you. If nothing else it would give you peace of mind x

I'm so sorry you're having to do this. It must be very distressing for you. :(

Although you don't know for sure if they died of VHD2, it's a good precaution to take.

The previous VHD is a very hardy virus, remaining viable in the environment for 105 days at 68F (i.e. remains stable for 105 days at room temperature) and for 225 days at 39F. It resists freezing. If it were me, I would take these as guidelines in the absence of any other info.

(((( hugs ))))

If you can rehome from a rescue they may have already have the RHD2 vaccination, the rescue near us is (or was) vaccinating the buns against RHD2

Thanks everyone. It was a hard thing to do, but for the best. The garden looks so empty now :cry:.

When we feel able to offer other bunnies a new home, we will definitely look into having them vaccinated before bringing them home. That's good advice, so thanks for that. If I remember correctly, when we rehomed from the rescue centre, Teeny and Weeny had already been given their jabs for VHD1 and Myxomatosis. Maybe now that there is RHD2 around, other buns being rehomed would get this jab too. I hope so.

Back