• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Amy's Funny Tummy

SJ_R

Mama Doe
So last night I noticed that Amy hadn't touched her pellets. Sometimes she doesn't eat them immediately, and she took a treat from me eagerly. She still hadn't eaten pellets by the time I went to bed, and refused another treat. She hadn't eaten much hay or drunk much water, either. I gave her some kale last night, and she had eaten that by this morning, but refused breakfast. She seems sort of vaguely uncomfortable, but is moving mostly normal. I think she's still pooing, but they seem smaller and darker. Vet appointment, of course, in about half an hour. I'm not sure if this is stasis; she ate some food and pooped, so I wonder if it's a different kind of funny tummy. She had an episode last year, and another earlier this year; prone but not chronic? She'll probably get a couple of jabs and hopefully be normal by tonight. Update to come after appointment. I've been up half the night worried sick she'd get worse by the morning.

ETA: Back from the vet. Said that she's not quite in stasis, but might have been by tomorrow (and they're only open in the morning then) so she got a couple of jabs; painkillers/gut stimulant. I've to give her Critical Care in a while and call if she doesn't improve. She's done a few poos, but they're still a little abnormal. Currently in her playpen so I can keep an eye on her.

Last edited:
I guess she is in stasis as that just means her intestinal tract is slowing down, as it would with less food intake. As to the cause? We often don't find out but I hope it is resolved quickly for your girl. 2 of my 3 bunnies went through this 2 weeks ago - we couldn't establish a reason which is frustrating but ultimately getting better is the main thing.

Vibes for Amy

Thank you. She's normally pretty healthy; a bit fat and lazy, but healthy. I guess some buns just randomly decide to be sick to scare the bejeesus out of us!

So last night I noticed that Amy hadn't touched her pellets. Sometimes she doesn't eat them immediately, and she took a treat from me eagerly. She still hadn't eaten pellets by the time I went to bed, and refused another treat. She hadn't eaten much hay or drunk much water, either. I gave her some kale last night, and she had eaten that by this morning, but refused breakfast. She seems sort of vaguely uncomfortable, but is moving mostly normal. I think she's still pooing, but they seem smaller and darker. Vet appointment, of course, in about half an hour. I'm not sure if this is stasis; she ate some food and pooped, so I wonder if it's a different kind of funny tummy. She had an episode last year, and another earlier this year; prone but not chronic? She'll probably get a couple of jabs and hopefully be normal by tonight. Update to come after appointment. I've been up half the night worried sick she'd get worse by the morning.

ETA: Back from the vet. Said that she's not quite in stasis, but might have been by tomorrow (and they're only open in the morning then) so she got a couple of jabs; painkillers/gut stimulant. I've to give her Critical Care in a while and call if she doesn't improve. She's done a few poos, but they're still a little abnormal. Currently in her playpen so I can keep an eye on her.

Glad to hear you've caught the dreaded stasis in time!

Have you any meds to give at home, or is it a matter of calling back if there's no improvement?

I hope Amy will feel much better soon. Encouraging her to drink will help (water, not her usual G+T ;))

She just loves to go out with my gran on the tequila slammers... :lol:

Had her hopping about for a while with a water bowl. I think she drunk a little, and did a few more poos. She did not enjoy being syringe fed, but I got some in her. She's back in her cage to see if she'll nibble her pellets, and will be out her usual time after our dinner. I'll see if I can interest her in some greens. We didn't get shopping today because of this, so Lidl's tomorrow for fresher food.

Glad to hear you've caught the dreaded stasis in time!

Have you any meds to give at home, or is it a matter of calling back if there's no improvement?

Calling back with no improvement. I'll say one thing, she's being a bit naughty, so her attitude is normal. I got some syringe food in her, so if she's not eating normally by the evening, we'll be in tomorrow morning.

Glad you caught it early. Her behaviour certainly sounds positive. Fingers crossed she is back to full health very soon

Calling back with no improvement. I'll say one thing, she's being a bit naughty, so her attitude is normal. I got some syringe food in her, so if she's not eating normally by the evening, we'll be in tomorrow morning.

Naughty attinide is good - that's one positive. Really hope she picks up overnight x

Well, she's done some poos, still not normal looking, and left her pellets alone, but took a couple of treats. Which is very typical for Amy :roll:

Well, she's done some poos, still not normal looking, and left her pellets alone, but took a couple of treats. Which is very typical for Amy :roll:

Personally I would want to keep her on prokinetics until her output is back to normal. Perhaps you could call the Vet this morning to discuss this if Amy is still not 100% ?

As I mentioned before fluids are really important when gut motility is reduced. This is because during gut stasis the gut contents become very dehydrated and consequently it is more difficult for it all to pass through. I tend to give SQ fluids straight away, aswell as oral fluids, (under guidance from my Vet) along with the prokinetics and pain relief prescribed.

Hopefully Amy is actually doing much better now ?

Back