• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Winston has suspected liver or stomach torsion

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
My mom noticed yesterday morning that Winston wasn't very interested in food. She monitored him for a bit under my guidance (I was stuck at work, but would've come home if necessary) and realised he was definitely in pain. She took him to the vet and he was admitted with suspected liver or stomach torsion.

He's not eating and is only being syringe fed, and is still in a lot of pain.

He's in the best place and they seem to think that the torsion is resolving but I am a little sad for him. He spent the first 4 years of his life stuck in a tiny hutch and has muscle wastage because of it, and he's only just in the last week worked up the bravery to go into their run and explore the garden (while supervised).

I'm sure he will be fine but I hoped not to have any problems with him for a little while after everything with Nena. And the last few weeks I've really gotten attached to his big fluffy marshmallow face ❤️

My mom noticed yesterday morning that Winston wasn't very interested in food. She monitored him for a bit under my guidance (I was stuck at work, but would've come home if necessary) and realised he was definitely in pain. She took him to the vet and he was admitted with suspected liver or stomach torsion.

He's in the best place and they seem to think that the torsion is resolving but I am a little sad for him. He spent the first 4 years of his life stuck in a tiny hutch and has muscle wastage because of it, and he's only just in the last week worked up the bravery to go into their run and explore the garden (while supervised).

I'm sure he will be fine but I hoped not to have any problems with him for a little while after everything with Nena. And the last few weeks I've really gotten attached to his big fluffy marshmallow face ❤️

Oh yaretzi I am so sorry :(

Sending loads of vibes for the brave little solider. I hope he'll be back home soon xx

Oh no :cry: I assume they've run bloods to obtain a preliminary diagnosis ? If it's in the early stages then abdominal Xrays/U/S are unlikely to be helpful. I guess he will need surgery :cry:

Sending millions of vibes for him xx

Thanks everyone, luckily not long after I spoke to the vet he perked up quite a bit so it seems that it was either some kind of torsion which has resolved (totally or at least somewhat) or perhaps it was a blockage, or some combination of both. He's been eating well at the vets and hasn't needed syringe feeding/fluids since about 1-2pm, so I collected him at 7pm. He's had his medication (metacam, metaclop, zantac and cisapride) this evening and is not amused and won't talk to me now :oops: Three more days of medication and then I have to check back in with the vet to see if he's still in pain, and if so we'll do x-rays etc then if the vet is still concerned.

So pleased that he's perked up :love:

I'm so pleased to see this update. I hope that Winston recovers quickly at home and soon forgives you.

Sending get well wishes for Winston. What you said about his story and how he had just became braver melted my heart, he sounds a real sweetie :love: I hope his improvement continues xxx

Thanks everyone, luckily not long after I spoke to the vet he perked up quite a bit so it seems that it was either some kind of torsion which has resolved (totally or at least somewhat) or perhaps it was a blockage, or some combination of both. He's been eating well at the vets and hasn't needed syringe feeding/fluids since about 1-2pm, so I collected him at 7pm. He's had his medication (metacam, metaclop, zantac and cisapride) this evening and is not amused and won't talk to me now :oops: Three more days of medication and then I have to check back in with the vet to see if he's still in pain, and if so we'll do x-rays etc then if the vet is still concerned.

I'm so glad to hear this!

Long may Winston stay perked up :love:

I really hope that he will now go on to make a full recovery xx

I didn't want to comment for fear of jinxing it but Winston has been picking at his food which was good (eating little and regularly), however his last medication was last night and this afternoon he went down hill and was in pain again :( I've spoken to the vet who said to syringe feed and medicate until tomorrow morning/midday, and if no improvement he'll be back to the vets again. Poor little poppet. He really doesn't like me now :( He hasn't bitten or anything but every time I go in the shed he hides even more than he already was :cry:

Hi, I don't want to scare you but when my Harvey had a liver torsion. He first had a case of statis, went to the vets and had the usual meds. He was back eating within 24 Hours and came home. A further 48 hours later, he went down hill very quickly. I came home from work and he was very floppy and dehydrated. I rushed him to the vets where he had a number of tests which showed something wasn't right with his kidneys/liver and was booked in for a ultrasound. This then showed he had a liver torsion and was again rushed into surgery to have it removed.

Please the last thing I want to do is scare you but if they really do think it is a possibility, then maybe he may need to go back to the vets much sooner? Xx

I didn't want to comment for fear of jinxing it but Winston has been picking at his food which was good (eating little and regularly), however his last medication was last night and this afternoon he went down hill and was in pain again :( I've spoken to the vet who said to syringe feed and medicate until tomorrow morning/midday, and if no improvement he'll be back to the vets again. Poor little poppet. He really doesn't like me now :( He hasn't bitten or anything but every time I go in the shed he hides even more than he already was :cry:

Oh I'm sorry :cry:

Mega vibes for Winston x

Poor Winston :(
Sending vibes for you both. I hope he will rally, but if he has to return to the vets I hope they can help the poor little mite. xxxx

Back