• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I halt the bond?

Lozzibear

Warren Scout
I have three rabbits. Luna and Arnold are a bonded pair, and I have Ludo on his own. Ludo was neutered a few weeks ago, so I decided to start bonding them on Sunday night. It went pretty well. Arnold gave Ludo a few nips, but they ended up settled and I was quite pleased with how it went. Yesterday, it went brilliantly. They were all calm, no problems and it was pretty perfect. Today, has not been so good. I increased the space they were in slightly and it started off well, but then Ludo and Arnold started to circle and chase each other. Ludo's tail was up (I didn't notice whether Arnold's was but I don't think so), and he peed/sprayed. I couldn't say for definite whether it was just a pee or a spray in all commotion. I stepped in and stopped it, but after a few minutes they did it again so I ended the session. Before that happened, Ludo had also been chin rubbing the other two, which I stopped him from doing.

I have kind of decided to leave it another few weeks, just in case Ludo's hormones haven't died down quite enough. I thought they would since he is still young, and the vet commented on his being the smallest bits she has ever seen. I wouldn't want to continue for a proper fight to kick off and then make the eventual bond more difficult, or even impossible. But, just thought I would get other opinions on it... do you think it best to wait, which would be after New Year? Or do you think I should continue but go back to the smaller space?

Here are some photos of them from yesterday...

Do what you feel happy with. Part of successful bonding is being relaxed (well, as un tense as possible) when you do it.

Sounds promising. It wont do any harm to give his hormones a chance to ease off.

Yep, a few extra weeks certainly won't hurt... just make sure you don't try over Christmas/new year when the vets are closed in case they do have a fight that needs treatment - not trying to scare you just it costs a fortune to get even a little wound treated on a bank holiday.

Do what you feel happy with. Part of successful bonding is being relaxed (well, as un tense as possible) when you do it.

Sounds promising. It wont do any harm to give his hormones a chance to ease off.

I was a bit anxious at the start, but they have been getting on so well that I was getting much more relaxed. I never used to get nervous or anything when bonding, but I attempted to re-bond my sisters rabbits and it didn't go well, so I am more anxious now... I have never had that type of behaviour though. Although, watching some videos I can see that it can be normal to a degree.

Yep, a few extra weeks certainly won't hurt... just make sure you don't try over Christmas/new year when the vets are closed in case they do have a fight that needs treatment - not trying to scare you just it costs a fortune to get even a little wound treated on a bank holiday.

I would wait until after New Year as my OH will be around, so it is easier to wait until he is away for work so I am not trying to juggle him and the rabbits.

Back