• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sneezing

roxyroller88

Mama Doe
Here we go again...

Just been sat with the boys and Hiro started sneezing. I didn't think anything of it at first and thought that it must be something irritating him but then some white gunk flew out. Absolutely gutted.

Does anyone have any idea what this might mean to him in regards to his ear infection? Is it likely to be back?

Here we go again...

Just been sat with the boys and Hiro started sneezing. I didn't think anything of it at first and thought that it must be something irritating him but then some white gunk flew out. Absolutely gutted.

Does anyone have any idea what this might mean to him in regards to his ear infection? Is it likely to be back?

Ear infections and URTI are often linked BUT just because Hiro is showing signs of a URTI it does not necessarily mean that his ear infection has relapsed. If the gunk only came out of one nostril it is possible that Hiro has managed to get a foreign body such as a bit of hay stuck in his nostril and that has triggered infection. I'd get him seen by your Vet today as I expect the sooner Hiro starts on aggressive abx therapy the better.

Getting his sinuses draining will be helpful so I'd ask the Vet about Hiro having Bisolvon. This is a mucolytic which thins out mucus secretions. Nebulising may be beneficial too and that is something else you could speak to the Vet about.

Try not to panic (easy to say, hard to do), whilst another active infection would obviously not be great news it is not necessarily a total disaster and it is possible that Hiro can be stabalised on treatment.

Sending lots of vibes for him xx

Sending lots of vibes for Hiro. I hope it turns out to be something minor or in its early stages.

Ear infections and URTI are often linked BUT just because Hiro is showing signs of a URTI it does not necessarily mean that his ear infection has relapsed. If the gunk only came out of one nostril it is possible that Hiro has managed to get a foreign body such as a bit of hay stuck in his nostril and that has triggered infection. I'd get him seen by your Vet today as I expect the sooner Hiro starts on aggressive abx therapy the better.

Getting his sinuses draining will be helpful so I'd ask the Vet about Hiro having Bisolvon. This is a mucolytic which thins out mucus secretions. Nebulising may be beneficial too and that is something else you could speak to the Vet about.

Try not to panic (easy to say, hard to do), whilst another active infection would obviously not be great news it is not necessarily a total disaster and it is possible that Hiro can be stabalised on treatment.

Sending lots of vibes for him xx

Thank you. Our vets open at 9:15am so I'm going to call as soon as they open.
It's very hard not to panic but I'm trying to look on the bright side. He's eating, drinking and pooping just fine and he had a checkup at the vets last Tuesday and nothing seemed to be wrong then so we are keeping everything crossed.
Hard to be positive considering all our bad bunny luck at the moment. When it rains it pours!

Mouse did this several times, sneeezing for a few hours - days & at some point would produce a big ball of really thick snot, then nothing for months - she has done this about 3 times within the first few months of us adopting her. Naturally we went to the vet the first time, there was no evidence of any infection. It was a good vet too. The next time she was due at the vets for vaccs anyway, discussed & examined again - no issues found. I wish the same for Hiro xx

Thank you. Our vets open at 9:15am so I'm going to call as soon as they open.
It's very hard not to panic but I'm trying to look on the bright side. He's eating, drinking and pooping just fine and he had a checkup at the vets last Tuesday and nothing seemed to be wrong then so we are keeping everything crossed.
Hard to be positive considering all our bad bunny luck at the moment. When it rains it pours!

Thinking of you Roxy :) Hope all went well at the vet.

I have used Bisolvon for my rabbits when I want to get what's 'in there' out ... xx

I rang first thing but the vet they have in today is allergic to Rabbits! She put me on hold and asked me if I could come in at 1:30pm so I haven't got a clue who I'm seeing :/

We have seen the vet and he gave him a look over. He's definitely got a snotty nose but his breathing sounds clear.
We had a chat about different antibiotics and we decided on Marbocyl because it was the antibiotic that Molly gave him after his TECABO.
We are going to see how he gets on with that and in the meantime he is going to request his notes from Molly.

We have seen the vet and he gave him a look over. He's definitely got a snotty nose but his breathing sounds clear.
We had a chat about different antibiotics and we decided on Marbocyl because it was the antibiotic that Molly gave him after his TECABO.
We are going to see how he gets on with that and in the meantime he is going to request his notes from Molly.

I'm glad he got some abx.

How are you feeling in yourself Roxy?

He also suggested that I turn my central heating down to about 16° because it might be more comfortable for him. I feel awful now, I'm very nesh and I really do crank it up.

I'm glad he got some abx.

How are you feeling in yourself Roxy?

Atrocious! Thanks for asking though :lol:
Luckily our vet was happy to give us injectable meds for Hiro so that makes life a tad easier. He really fights against anything oral so I was dreading the appointment! We saw the exotics vet though that we wanted to see last time and we liked him so thats 2 we like at the new vets!

Atrocious! Thanks for asking though :lol:
Luckily our vet was happy to give us injectable meds for Hiro so that makes life a tad easier. He really fights against anything oral so I was dreading the appointment! We saw the exotics vet though that we wanted to see last time and we liked him so thats 2 we like at the new vets!

I'm glad you've got a couple of trusty vets and great that they gave the injectables!

I didn't think you'd be feeing too good :( Really rooting for you and the buns xx

I just can't believe that something else has gone wrong to be honest! There isn't anything that we can do about it though so we've just got to get on with it and hope that they both recover well over the next few weeks. I just feel so sad for them, they are such lovely boys and I hate poking and prodding them :(

I'm pleased that you like the exotics vet and that you've got some abx for Hiro. I agree injectable is easier than oral. Sending vibes that he soon responds to the abx.

Also sending hugs for you. It does seem like one thing after another and you must be very fed up with it all. Think of all the new skills learnt and experiences in rabbit illnesses though :)

I hope that the Marbocyl kicks in quickly to get on top of Hiro's infection and that he will continue to remain bright within himself x

I just can't believe that something else has gone wrong to be honest! There isn't anything that we can do about it though so we've just got to get on with it and hope that they both recover well over the next few weeks. I just feel so sad for them, they are such lovely boys and I hate poking and prodding them :(

I really really hope you have an upturn of luck xx

Back