• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Doing my homework to prepare. .

Tamwill

Young Bun
Looking for advice in advanced preparation for a possible 2nd litter after my pair of sisters decided to surprise me with a litter of 4 12 days ago. I separated the parents as soon as I could after the surprise but I suspect Mildred has another litter on the way cos she's fattening back up at a surprising rate for a nursing mum (I'm no expert but I would imagine she'd stay pretty slim whilst meeting the demands of a litter?) anyway, currently mum and babies are in a two tier cage with a barrier round the ramp to prevent babies falling but still allowing Mildred the freedom of the whole cage and adjoining run. If/when another litter arrive I assume Mildred will need space to attend the new arrivals but the older ones will be very young to leave her. Is putting the 4 week old babies in the bottom tier and having a barrier at the bottom of the ramp to prevent them going up but so Mildred can still come down an option? I'm just thinking that gives Mildred space to tend to new babies but allowing older babies to remain with access to mum for a while longer. Anyone offer words of wisdom?

Although I haven't experienced this personally I beleive the babies will be near on weaned by the time the second litter arrives. I would suggest you contact your local vets andsee what they suggest, they might be able to find out if she is expecting again.
What have you done with the brother? It's just if she does have a second litter will he be on his own? If so now is a good time to take some steps to prevent more babies and get him neutered, however be careful as reintroduction after a litter can be stressful for the pair if they have little contact during the raising of the babies.
In terms if the babies they can be weaned at 4 weeks, it's obviously no ones first choice but it may be the best option as you wouldn't want one accidently harming a kit. I have had a litter successfully raised and at 4 weeks they are extremely adventurous, I had one climb his way out of a 4 foot run, we still don't know how :D So when the 4 week mark is nearing keep an eye out, if the 1st litter does need to be seperated use some of the old hutch straw and keep the babies together to make the process smoother.
I wish you and Mildred the best of luck. Nothig cuter then a baby bun :love:

Looking for advice in advanced preparation for a possible 2nd litter after my pair of sisters decided to surprise me with a litter of 4 12 days ago. I separated the parents as soon as I could after the surprise but I suspect Mildred has another litter on the way cos she's fattening back up at a surprising rate for a nursing mum (I'm no expert but I would imagine she'd stay pretty slim whilst meeting the demands of a litter?) anyway, currently mum and babies are in a two tier cage with a barrier round the ramp to prevent babies falling but still allowing Mildred the freedom of the whole cage and adjoining run. If/when another litter arrive I assume Mildred will need space to attend the new arrivals but the older ones will be very young to leave her. Is putting the 4 week old babies in the bottom tier and having a barrier at the bottom of the ramp to prevent them going up but so Mildred can still come down an option? I'm just thinking that gives Mildred space to tend to new babies but allowing older babies to remain with access to mum for a while longer. Anyone offer words of wisdom?

The first litter should be eating for themselves at 4 weeks of age (ie eating hay, hard feed and any veg Mum eats) and although it is not ideal to wean kits at 4 weeks in a situation whereby a very young Doe kindles a second litter 4 weeks after the first it is best to remove the first litter. A very young Doe will be exhausted and nutrient depleted if she is continuing to feed two litters. She may also become aggressive toward litter 1 if they keep trying to suckle. She will know that litter 2 need her milk more.

I would organise new accommodation for litter 1 to transfer them to if a second litter arrives. You can put some of the bedding from the hutch litter 1 has been living in into the new set-up so that it smells familiar. They should then be feed exactly the same food types that they were having when still with their Mum. I would not introduce any new food types to litter 1 at all until they are at least 10 weeks of age. If they had been nibbling veg when still with Mum they can continue to have a small amount, but if they have not had any Veg whilst with Mum dont introduce it to them until the 10 week stage.

Good luck :)

Thanks for replies, that's really helpful. Dad is currently in a separate cage by himself (with a shared run attached so they see each other on a daily basis but can't get to each other) I planned ahead and he was neutered on Thursday, mum is being spayed as soon as babies are 6weeks old then they can go back to living together as intended. I can close off dad's 2 story cage to give the babies top tier if necessary and dad can still access the run

Back