• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bedding - Rabbits that like to remove it

Good evening,

I have two rabbits that love to remove straw and shavings from their hutches as soon as I clean them out. This was not an issue in the summer as I just did not put straw in and kept shavings to a bare minimum.

Now it is winter, I just worry about the cold. I put a fair amount of straw in to keep them warm and they just drag it all out straight away. I have hutch covers but still concerned they will get too cold? Surely if they were cold though they would stop dragging the straw out.

One of the rabbits also like to move the litter tray and flip it. Bit of a troublesome lad when he wants to be.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

You could put something heavy in the litter tray like a brick or two to stop them flipping it. I'm afraid I can't advise on them remodelling their bedding, one of my bridge buns used to grab the vetbed and drag it down the runaround pipe into their run before humping it :lol:

He is strong, there is already a flat rock in the bottom of it!!!!

He has always been destructive!:lol:

Just seen some advice on another thread, I put a smaller box in so it did not take up as much room in the hutch but maybe I need to put a bigger one back in.

As usual it is down to "bunny knows best" or "human wants a neat hutch". We have to assume that just because they arent using the stuff we provide in the way it says on the packet that harm is coming to them. If i put down straw for bedding they eat it and ignore the hay, we get it drummed into us that they should eat hay and not straw...so out comes the straw.
Bunnies like to create their own space, tough if we hate their decorating skills.
The top floor of my hutch is divided into 3 with one section fairly open with wire on 2 sides, do they sleepinside in tge relative wind free warm part? Nope it's out in the frosty bit all scrunched up into little fur balls.

Back