• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not sure what is wrong with bunny.

sarah bart

New Kit
Sunday 11/12/16
Hello my name is sarah I am new to forum and I have a large long haired breed bunny called Sweep who is neutred, female about 3 and a half years old. She stays in conservatory in the day or the large run and in the evening she comes in the house then sleeps back in the conservatory at night. I am bit unsure what is wrong with my bunny so i have come on the forum to see if anyone else knows what could be wrong with her. She has been a bit quieter for past week but noticed she was alot quieter on the Wednesday my mom told me she had spent most of the day in her hay box. She looks alright in herself but lies down alot she doesn't sit up right that much and isn't that interested or as bossy as she usually is. I took her to vets on Thursday she checked her said she couldn't see anything wrong, teeth fine(front and back), temperature fine, ears fine, stomach fine, poops(normal size) and pee fine. She gave me some zantac and said see how it goes in 5 days. On Friday Sweep still seemed the same sometimes she comes out the box but doesn't interact that much. I took her to vets again on saturday as I thought id get her checked again, the vets was fully booked so i went to a different vets, I told vet all information he checked everything it was fine again but she had little bit of temperature so he prescribed baytril and bio-lapis, he said not to keep her in conservatory over night as it might be too cold. she was quiet saturday but later seemed to interact little bit more. On sunday morning i noticed little bit of a wet diahorrea stain on her blanket(maybe from anti-biotic) poops like fine, one or two round but look little wet, she went outside for little bit did bit of grazing then came in, ate some dandelions but still seems to lye down alot. i forgot to say she eats her food, nuggets, kale, hay she doesn't completley eat all her spring greens usually she does and drinks. Sorry i probably sound like a hyperchondrac but I know my bunny and her normal bossy behaviour isn't there she seems to lie down on her side alot but I have no symptoms of whats wrong and she is never like this, im confused if anyone has any ideas i would be very grateful.

Sunday 11/12/16
Hello my name is sarah I am new to forum and I have a large long haired breed bunny called Sweep who is neutred, female about 3 and a half years old. She stays in conservatory in the day or the large run and in the evening she comes in the house then sleeps back in the conservatory at night. I am bit unsure what is wrong with my bunny so i have come on the forum to see if anyone else knows what could be wrong with her. She has been a bit quieter for past week but noticed she was alot quieter on the Wednesday my mom told me she had spent most of the day in her hay box. She looks alright in herself but lies down alot she doesn't sit up right that much and isn't that interested or as bossy as she usually is. I took her to vets on Thursday she checked her said she couldn't see anything wrong, teeth fine(front and back), temperature fine, ears fine, stomach fine, poops(normal size) and pee fine. She gave me some zantac and said see how it goes in 5 days. On Friday Sweep still seemed the same sometimes she comes out the box but doesn't interact that much. I took her to vets again on saturday as I thought id get her checked again, the vets was fully booked so i went to a different vets, I told vet all information he checked everything it was fine again but she had little bit of temperature so he prescribed baytril and bio-lapis, he said not to keep her in conservatory over night as it might be too cold. she was quiet saturday but later seemed to interact little bit more. On sunday morning i noticed little bit of a wet diahorrea stain on her blanket(maybe from anti-biotic) poops like fine, one or two round but look little wet, she went outside for little bit did bit of grazing then came in, ate some dandelions but still seems to lye down alot. i forgot to say she eats her food, nuggets, kale, hay she doesn't completley eat all her spring greens usually she does and drinks. Sorry i probably sound like a hyperchondrac but I know my bunny and her normal bossy behaviour isn't there she seems to lie down on her side alot but I have no symptoms of whats wrong and she is never like this, im confused if anyone has any ideas i would be very grateful.

Hello

I am sorry that Sweep is causing you concern. You are right in that you know your Rabbit and you know that something is not right. Is Sweep fully vaccinated ?

How rabbit savvy are your vets? Are you in the u.k?
I think you are right to be worried about her. Does she come inside in the warm and go out in the cold every day? This could be a problem as it can cause respiratory problems, however, the problems don't sound resp related but it does sound like she needs further tests to find out what is going on. It could be anything but it needs investigating further by a rabbit savvy vet.

Sunday 11/12/16

Hi Sarah and welcome to the forum :wave:

You sound like you know Sweep very well, and she is not right. It's always very difficult when the vet doesn't have a lot to go on and she just seems a bit 'off'

You could ask the vet about maybe testing her urine to see whether there's any bladder infection. Also, vets who are not confident about doing 'conscious dentals' can only see partly into a rabbit's mouth. The rest is invisible without a proper look (not just with an otoscope)

What you have described sounds to me like a rabbit in pain, and I would want a good vet to do further investigations.

Good luck xx

Welcome to the forum and as others have said you are right, you know your rabbit.
They become like children so you notice the little changes.
It does sound like she is not quite right and you are right to be a bit concerned, rabbits go downhill very quickly when they are not well as they are great at hiding illness so by the time they are showing symptoms they have probably been unwell for some time so yes I think you should find a rabbit savvy vet and ask them to maybe do a urinalysis and possibly a full blood work up to check kidney and liver function.

Sarah and sweep

Thanks alot for all your advice its a big help been racking my head wondering whats wrong with her. She had a combined myxomotosis and vhd jab in july. When she comes in the house i turn of the fire or turn it very low and keep the door open to keep room cool. I live in uk Wolverhampton and go to st georges bushbury vets not sure if there rabbit savvy(il do research on it). She is eating but has lost weight she feels more boney on her back, sometimes she seems bit more normal in herself. Thanks for advice about tests il get her booked in on thursday after work and get them investigating, its a pain when you work full time getting vet visits in is hard.

Thanks alot for all your advice its a big help been racking my head wondering whats wrong with her. She had a combined myxomotosis and vhd jab in july. When she comes in the house i turn of the fire or turn it very low and keep the door open to keep room cool. I live in uk Wolverhampton and go to st georges bushbury vets not sure if there rabbit savvy(il do research on it). She is eating but has lost weight she feels more boney on her back, sometimes she seems bit more normal in herself. Thanks for advice about tests il get her booked in on thursday after work and get them investigating, its a pain when you work full time getting vet visits in is hard.

Yes I know what you mean about getting vet visits to fit in with work!

If you want us here to recommend you a vet, just start another thread with the title : "Rabbit savvy vet needed in (your location)" and we'll do our best to help you find a good one.

Alternatively, look here: https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/vetfinder/copy_of_county-or-city/england :D

Thanks again for all advice I went to vets again today, sweeps put nearly all her weight back on good news temperature normal. Ive got her booked in for examination and blood tests tomorrow(as ive got day of work) see if everything is good internally. Thanks for help sometimes you think its just you but when other people on here think the same you know your not mad.

Thanks again for all advice I went to vets again today, sweeps put nearly all her weight back on good news temperature normal. Ive got her booked in for examination and blood tests tomorrow(as ive got day of work) see if everything is good internally. Thanks for help sometimes you think its just you but when other people on here think the same you know your not mad.

Definitely not mad. Just a caring owner :D

I hope all goes well for Sweep at the appointment today x

Good luck for today.

I hope Sweep gives up her blood for the vet :)

Sarah and sweep

Hello thanks for your support took sweep for check on Friday morning she had blood test results were fine she had internal scan results were fine but vet couldn't get good view of bladder. Vet phoned me later and asked if i want her to come home with painkiller or stay over night and have bladder checked i said best have all checks done. So she stayed overnight and on saturday morning vet said no scan done yet she will phone later when its all done i said fine. At 5:30 vet phoned and said done few scans on bladder and looks like might have kidney stone but xray needed to check for sure, i said fine, vet said she will have to stay overnight again as to late for xray now will be done on sunday. I said fine i did ask for xray on Friday but vet said she didnt do it because of risks on anaesthetic with buns which is fair enough but she will be having it on sunday.

Seems weird no bunny for two nights shes usually guarding the fridge and door ways and bossing anybody around who dares to go to these places. Vet says shes eating and pooping loads which is good. I will have to see what xray shows and take things from there.

Seems weird no bunny for two nights shes usually guarding the fridge and door ways and bossing anybody around who dares to go to these places. Vet says shes eating and pooping loads which is good. I will have to see what xray shows and take things from there.

I hope that all will go well for her procedure today xx

Hello thanks for your support took sweep for check on Friday morning she had blood test results were fine she had internal scan results were fine but vet couldn't get good view of bladder. Vet phoned me later and asked if i want her to come home with painkiller or stay over night and have bladder checked i said best have all checks done. So she stayed overnight and on saturday morning vet said no scan done yet she will phone later when its all done i said fine. At 5:30 vet phoned and said done few scans on bladder and looks like might have kidney stone but xray needed to check for sure, i said fine, vet said she will have to stay overnight again as to late for xray now will be done on sunday. I said fine i did ask for xray on Friday but vet said she didnt do it because of risks on anaesthetic with buns which is fair enough but she will be having it on sunday.

I hope all goes well for Sweep today. Thinking of you x

Hello sweeps vet just phoned shes had all xrays done checked bladder fine no calcium stones she seems to have all clear im pleased. Vet noticed one thing with her bones on scan they look more white then normal she needs more calcium so lots of broccoli turnip and kale so good news. Thanks for all your help and suggestions rabbit's arent easy pets ecespecially when you suspect illness.

Hello sweeps vet just phoned shes had all xrays done checked bladder fine no calcium stones she seems to have all clear im pleased. Vet noticed one thing with her bones on scan they look more white then normal she needs more calcium so lots of broccoli turnip and kale so good news. Thanks for all your help and suggestions rabbit's arent easy pets ecespecially when you suspect illness.

I'm really glad you've got some answers Sarah :D

Rabbits are not easy pets at all. They hide their stuff so well it's difficult to get a handle on what's going on.

Well done to you and your vet :thumb:

Good news that there are no kidney stones. Rabbits certainly aren't easy Pets are they !! Just when I think I understand how they work a Bunny will prove me wrong x

Back