• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Floyd and Family

Pendragon

Warren Scout
If these photos show up, then be warned..... they may be the first of many! I've just got my first digicam, and what better way to practise using it, than taking masses of bunny pics?!

Here is Floyd himself, at large in my (tiny) garden:
Floyd1.jpg

And this is Mrs Floyd, with one of the babies in her second litter.... a very mismarked but cute & unusual little kit. She had one like this in her first litter too... a rainbow rabbit, with blue eyes!
MrsFandbaby.jpg

They are all pure-bred Tri-colour Dutch, which are a rare breed.

They are very cute and gorgeous and sweet, we are all so proud of our buns arent we. Thanks for getting back to me about my buns funny fur colouring. It is all very fascinating, if you can think of any good books about the subject let me know as I work in a bookshop and am becoming very interested.
Your bunny has the same name as my dog, Floyd!

Well, if you are interested in learning about the coat colour genetics of small animals (cats, rabbits, rats, mice, gerbils, hamsters, guinea-pigs) there's a book called "Colour Inheritance in Small Livestock, by Roy Robinson - ISBN 0 903775 06 9

It's fairly old (1978) but it's a good introduction, and all the information on the rabbit breeds and colours still stands. No photos unfortunately!

For photos of colours & breeds, this one is really good: the Encyclopedia of Rabbits & Rodents by Esther Verhoef-Verhallen, ISBN 184053 06 77 - it may be out of print though. It's been translated from Dutch so a few of the photo captions are a bit iffy (i.e. not colour names that are used in the UK!) but it's wonderful - I call it my bunny "Mail-Order Catalogue" as in: "Ooooh... I'd like one of those and maybe one of those... and gosh, they're nice too..." :lol:

If you have trouble finding these books, they can be ordered through the Fur & Feather website, http://www.furandfeather.co.uk
You can also get other good rabbit books from there, such as Virginia Richardson's Rabbit Nutrition book, and Green Foods for Rabbits & Cavies by F R Bell.

......... a rainbow rabbit with blue eyes! beautiful description, bet you got high marks for English at school! :lol:

Mr and Mrs Floyd are stunning, but please please can we have a clearer pic of the baby, pretty please? :D

Beautiful buns. I just adore misfits - and before you say anthing Mrs. Annielops and HB and anyone else, yes it is probably because I am one!!!!! - I have Leonard with only one ear and Isabella who is almost blind, then Merlin......well, let's not talk about Merlin or he might put a magic spell on me!!!!

As an ignoramus in these matters and loving bunnies just cos they are cute whatever they look like, Pendragon, please would you explain to me why that goreous looking kit is mismarked. And what will happen to him/her in the long run :?:

Lizzie said:
I just adore misfits - and before you say anthing Mrs. Annielops and HB and anyone else, yes it is probably because I am one!!!!!

My mouth is shut, not saying a word, not a dickie, not even thinking anything! *walks away whistling, hands behind back, staring into space ..............*

Lizzie said:
As an ignoramus in these matters and loving bunnies just cos they are cute whatever they look like, Pendragon, please would you explain to me why that goreous looking kit is mismarked.

"Mismarked" is a broad term meaning only that the markings aren't what is required for show... but in Picasso's case, he is "mismarked" to excess... enough to be really unusual and striking! They very rarely turn out like him, with white patches all over the place and blue eyes too....

And what will happen to him/her in the long run :?:

He already has a pet home lined up, which he will go to at 10 weeks... After seeing Rainbow from the first litter, several people asked me to keep them in mind if I ever had another one like her :)

Awww, Picasso what a beautiful and appropriate name. How lovely. Sue, do you think you could persuade Picasso's new mum to join here so we could see his progress?

bunnyhuggger said:
Awww, Picasso what a beautiful and appropriate name. How lovely. Sue, do you think you could persuade Picasso's new mum to join here so we could see his progress?

Your rooting for more bunny pictures again aren't you!

Floyd and family are kidnap worthy, the little un nicking food out of his mums bowl is soooo cute!

Tam

Just for you Lynda, since you were curious about "mismarkings" and asked soooo nicely :wink:

Here is the beautiful Ember.... a well-marked Tri-colour - Floyd's daughter from the first litter:
Ember_left.jpg

She's my little star, and has a personality to match.

Just for you Lynda, since you asked about "mismarkings" and asked sooo nicely :wink:

Here is the lovely Ember.... a well-marked Tri-Dutch...one of Floyd's daughters from the first litter:

Ember_left.jpg

She's my little star, and has a lovely personality to match.
(I took the photo today, by the way).

Oh, and I did a couple of Picasso for you too.... :D

Here he is:
Picasso.jpg

...and one of his bottom, showing you his odd markings! When he was in the nest, his markings looked a bit like a "builder's cleavage"!!!! Thankfully he grew some fur...
Picback.jpg

More of the other babies to follow soon, if you can stand the cuteness... They are 3 weeks & 4 days old.

OOoooooooooooo
dustycouch.gif
*cough! must get that couch cleaned........* thank you Sue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aren't they beautiful, and Ember (yet ANOTHER lovely name! Where do you get these names?) she looks like she has a crisp white blouse on with a fancy skirt and matching headgear! ............... and ahhhh! would you just look a Picasso................... builders bum
1.gif
.........., oh please can you get Picasso's new mum (or dad) to let us see him as he grows up.....................

Hi Chris,

I only have a couple of pics of Rainbow, as I didn't have a digicam then, so a friend took a few.

The babies in the pics were the same age as Picasso is now - the one on the right is Ember when she was tiny!
babydoeandwhitestripes.jpg

Lynda - I don't know if the lady who is due to have Picasso has a digicam or not... and she doesn't get online much, unfortunately :( But he won't be going till at least 10 weeks, so plenty of time for me to do some "growing up" photos! :D

They are beautiful - does the little one have baby blue eyes (or is it just my laptop that makes them look like that).

Awwww! It looks like rainbow got all the black stripes and picasso all the ginger :lol: They are soo cute.

Tam

Back