• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor hot bunnies!

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
Forecast for Nottingham today: 12°C; 13 tomorrow and back 'down' to 8 over the weekend. Poor Aboleth's even started moulting :( Thankfully both buns' ears were cool this morning, so they weren't too hot overnight :( I've removed all of the perspex windows from the playhouse except the bottom two (protecting the windowsill) so they can get some more air through the house. Fully expect to get home and find them sprawled out on the concrete in the run, poor things :(

With them moulting again I'll have to keep an eye on the temperatures and introduce extra protection earlier than usual: less winter coat = less winter warmth! Poor hot bunnies!

Was it Fellie who was saying they had a lot of respect for outdoor bunny keepers? Well, this is my worst bit: not the cold, not even the wet, but the damn big changes in temperature! Can't we just have a month of certainty, please?!

The weather is a right old mess. Personally I've been freezing but I'm so nesh !!

In Mansfield we have had freezing fog and a few heavy frosts but it's definitely warmed up again .

Even though Robin is a house bunny he has his winter coat . He looks like a pillow with a head :D

The weather is ridiculous up here as well. We went from waking up to -9 yesterday, to + 15 this morning ! Poor Treacle has done a few wet pooheys, but I think it's just the change in temperature, even though she is indoors now. I've even turned the heating off, it's normally on 24/7 here :roll:
The birds seem to be enjoying it, at least the birdbath isn't frozen today :D

Aw man, poor Aboleth, she's fluffing everywhere :( Both of them had hot ears as well, and were sprawled out on the windowsill. They had weed in their 'special wall place' again though so didn't get much sympathy! :evil: Thankfully it's supposed to get cooler tomorrow, but only to 8°C :'(

Aw man, poor Aboleth, she's fluffing everywhere :( Both of them had hot ears as well, and were sprawled out on the windowsill. They had weed in their 'special wall place' again though so didn't get much sympathy! :evil: Thankfully it's supposed to get cooler tomorrow, but only to 8°C :'(

Amazed that your buns are hot at 12C.
Yes weather has been up & down here, a couple of days of "permafrost" & remarkably warm yesterday. I seem to manage with very low heating, but Benjie feels the cold - He's the nesh one of the 2 of us, but hasn't got his thick undercoat yet, & is wolfing up food to do so.
So I have to keep the bedroom radiator on 24/7 (to avoid plummeting night time temps) & with his big "hidey hole box" in front to trap some heat.

Re persisting weeing in the wrong place, does an extra litter tray over they new weeing place help?

Amazed that your buns are hot at 12C.
Runs in the family: 12°C is when I start thinking about wearing shorts (I start at 15) :S

Re persisting weeing in the wrong place, does an extra litter tray over they new weeing place help?
They're getting it next clearout if they've decided to do it for a third time... They're not usually this persistent at messing the place up with wee!

Runs in the family: 12°C is when I start thinking about wearing shorts (I start at 15) :S

They're getting it next clearout if they've decided to do it for a third time... They're not usually this persistent at messing the place up with wee!

To bear in mind if it's just wee, they may be territory scenting because cat or fox has started to spray outside. If they "miss" the litter tray, I've an arrangement which allows territory claiming with wee & pooh although in truth neither bun liked getting his feet wet. Benjie had a healing abscess on his foot! It's a plant pot tray on a bin liner with old towel in front. They sit on the towel & do everything backwards. Being boys, there's a bit of a dribble hence the towel & plastic bag. This leaves me a daily towel wash!! As for the tray - emptied daily for 1 rabbit, & rinsed with water only until it gets lime scale. Then it's cleaned with vinegar & water rinse.
As soon as I take the tray away for a clean, Benjie wees on the plastic & I know he doesn't need a wee - little monkey!!

I hope the tray does the trick.

Back