• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jack (1/08/2006 - 1/12/2016)

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
My sister brought Jack home as an 8 week old puppy, he had a tough beginning after being born via C-section and being the only puppy to survive after the loss of his mother too. He was my sisters first dog and doted on, I used to love visiting him and every time I would visit her house I would take him for a walk, I've always been very fond of Jack. He began to develop some issues and my sister worked with a dog behaviourist and psychologist, but they didn't think it was badly affecting him, he was just a grumpy dog but to me it added to his charm! He went to lots of places with my sister and her husband, he's been on lots of holidays, been on trains, a yacht and canoe and loved everything. Sadly, Jack didn't take to family life very well and as soon as I was in a position to take over his care he came to live with me in July this year and I loved every second of having him. He got to enjoy racing around the public fields opposite my house and his daily visits to the park at the end of the road, where he was a hit with lots of people and became friends with several dogs who it was lovely to meet up with and walk with. When it snowed he spent ages racing round in it and we had great fun, I was always looking forward to come home as I knew he was waiting for me. He was very loyal, playful, cuddly and my best friend. I've always adored Jack and I always will. I'm devastated we didn't get more time together, I never would have thought he wouldn't be here with me now. I came home after Uni to find he wasn't quite right, he began to collapse and had no energy. I tried to tempt him for a walk but he was very slow, I am glad I took him however as we saw one of his favourite doggy friends, another Bedlington, and he really perked up around her. He began to be sick and after I had to carry him to the vets, it was heartbreaking seeing him so weak and like a different dog. I got a call around an hour later to say Jack's results were back and he had chronic kidney failure, I never saw it coming and it was at such a stage there was no treatment. I asked the vets to try and bring some function back to his kidneys through fluids while he was being kept comfortable, my sister was very upset by the news and set off on the 2 hour journey to come and visit him. He was not responding so we had to let him go, my partner, sister and I were put in a room with him and spent an hour stroking and talking to him. He was looking at my sister and I could tell in his eyes he was happy to see her, he hadn't seen her since she brought him to me in July. He managed a wag for the vet as he was always keen to impress ladies! We buried him on my dads paddock where he can watch over the fields he would have loved to run in. I can't believe he is gone and I will treasure the memories of him, but I still think about all the things we didn't get to do. I will forever miss you Jack, enjoy being at the bridge where you can doze in the sun all day long and run in the fields.

I am sorry you lost Jack, especially so soon after you became his main caregiver. He sounds like he was truly a member of the family and meant so much to you and all your family.

Run free, Jack.

Jack looks to have been a wonderful dog and the pictures show how lovely he was. I am so sorry that you and your family have lost him :cry:

Thank you every one. I miss him terribly but am able to smile at his pictures and think of his cheeky antics :love:

Back