• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worming medicine for a really scared rabbit

NewStreetPhoto

Warren Scout
Hi,

I recently bonded my little Lionhead [Ghibli] with a female rabbit [Twinkle ✨] who's been rehomed multiple times.

It's wormming medicine time [Panacur - first wormming], but picking her up and giving her the stuff is completely destroying any kind of trust I've managed to [incredibly painfully, and over a long time] build up with her.

I've been told by her vet that putting it in food isn't a great idea as she might not eat it, and that it's better to give it to her directly, orally!

She hates being picked up so much that she runs away, and when I do finally manage to pick her up she struggles so much I'm worried that she could injure herself.

I'm also concerned that this is causing a massive rift between us, messing up Ghibli, and that in the long run isn't worth it?

Any thoughts or advice would be great, thanks. .

Barry
9df36d01e977da9b91755cc26cccad1f.jpg

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Most of us don't routinely worm our rabbits, it's only if you have evidence of them having worms. If you really must worm them the best way is to hide it on a Spring Green leaf or something else they enjoy. Are you sure your Vet is knowledgeable with rabbits as if they get ill you need to know they are in good hands.

Mine have been taking their panacur on a slice of banana without any trouble, tried the syringe once and was too distressing all round.
Thin slice of banana, i have given it on a flat slice and with a slice folded in half to make a panacur banana butty, both worked.

Their a small animal vet! But I've never been that convinced that money doesn't play a large part in a lot of their advice.

I was told that it's important to worm them four times a year [I've never kept rabbits before, but I've kept rats, and some of their advice seems a bit financially oriented] which I think is excessive given that even the animal shelter only worm their animals twice a year!

The problem is that she's a very fussy rabbit, and if she tasted something she didn't like she'd just not eat it.

Would their really be any harm in just not doing this given that neither of them ever leave a flat on ten 7th floor of a tower block?

Hello Barry

Are you using the oral paste or a liquid ? The active ingredient in the 'wormer' is called Fenbendazole. One option is to obtain it in liquid form (Panacur 10% oral liquid). The dose as prescribed by your Vet (usually 20mg/kg which is 0.2ml/kg of Panacur 10% liquid) could then be put onto a malted shreddie which you can hand feed to your Bunny. Most Rabbits love Malted Shreddies and whilst they should not normally be a part of a Rabbit's dietr in situations where-by giving oral medication is very problematic they can be extremely useful. The Panacur liquid soaks into the shreddie and the malted flavour of the shreddie disguises the taste..

Failing that have you tried the 'Bunny Buritto' method

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmZ4qprSY_A

Or the sitting on the floor method

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfROVhKTMxI&t=12s

I would be concerned about a vet promoting routine 4 times a year worming - (a) because it is not needed and (b) through this over-use it may not be effective when (if) it is needed for illness.

A small animal vet is just that, so not an expert in, or particularly knowledgeable about, rabbits (exotics). If you start another thread 'Rabbit-savvy vet needed in ......, someone on here may be able to recommend a vet.

If I have ever needed to give medication I've found that something tasty, such as a tiny bit of banana or a basil leaf, can be used to hide. I didn't know about the malted shreddies, but that sounds good!

Thanks everyone, this has been really helpful. I'll try feeding it to her on something tasty, and if it's not actually needed then it's not going to matter all that much if she only eats some of it.

I'm also going to start looking for a better vet!

You've been really really helpful...

Merry Christmas everyone 🎄

I would be concerned about a vet promoting routine 4 times a year worming - (a) because it is not needed and (b) through this over-use it may not be effective when (if) it is needed for illness.

A small animal vet is just that, so not an expert in, or particularly knowledgeable about, rabbits (exotics). If you start another thread 'Rabbit-savvy vet needed in ......, someone on here may be able to recommend a vet.

If I have ever needed to give medication I've found that something tasty, such as a tiny bit of banana or a basil leaf, can be used to hide. I didn't know about the malted shreddies, but that sounds good!

I would agree with Babsie :D

I should begin another thread and find another vet (at least to have a second opinion if you ever need it!) or perhaps look here ..

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/vetfinder/vets-owners-recommendations

Good luck xx

Actually the vets I go to are on that list, so probably not really worth changing.

TBF it was the receptionist who told me I needed to worm them 4 times a year, but it was the vet who told me that it's better to administer it orally.

Maybe she just didn't realise exactly how shy Twinkle actually is given that she was already in a carrier with Ghibli when she saw her.

They've been pretty good [the vets] so far, but I think the risk of Twinkle hurting herself [she HATES being picked up] is just far greater than the risk of her actually having worms, which I think is pretty remote given that she never comes into contact with any other animals.

I'll try the food thing, but at the moment she won't even take treats off me, so I think she's pretty annoyed with me!

Actually the vets I go to are on that list, so probably not really worth changing.

TBF it was the receptionist who told me I needed to worm them 4 times a year, but it was the vet who told me that it's better to administer it orally.

Maybe she just didn't realise exactly how shy Twinkle actually is given that she was already in a carrier with Ghibli when she saw her.

They've been pretty good [the vets] so far, but I think the risk of Twinkle hurting herself [she HATES being picked up] is just far greater than the risk of her actually having worms, which I think is pretty remote given that she never comes into contact with any other animals.

I'll try the food thing, but at the moment she won't even take treats off me, so I think she's pretty annoyed with me!

I suspect that the Vet suggested the 4 x yearly Panacur treatment as a means of controlling EC (Encephalitozoon Cuniculi) as opposed to treating intestinal worms. There is a wide range of opinions amongst Vets on whether using Panacur 2-4 times a year is beneficial or not.Personally I do not do so, I give every new intake Rabbit a one off 28 day course of Panacur and then I do not repeat it again unless clinical symptoms of EC present.

There is some information about EC here :

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/Ecuniculi_Lft.pdf

I am glad that you are happy with your Vet. There are some very good Rabbit Savvy Vets about, despite what you may read in some posts on here at times !

Really glad to hear you're happy with your vet - a big plus :thumb:

The thought of having to give Panacur four times a year would have my buns running for the hills :lol: Good luck to you if you decide to do it!

Thank you! I'll check out the info [which is greatly appreciated].

I actually lost [and found this morning] the origional tube/syringe thing I got from the vet, so I've got enough now to try just giving it to her in food.

If that doesn't work though I think I'm just going to postpone it until she's more accustomed to human contact, which could be never!

I will however investigate the liquid [which sounds like a much better option]

Thanks again...

Thank you! I'll check out the info [which is greatly appreciated].

I actually lost [and found this morning] the origional tube/syringe thing I got from the vet, so I've got enough now to try just giving it to her in food.

If that doesn't work though I think I'm just going to postpone it until she's more accustomed to human contact, which could be never!

I will however investigate the liquid [which sounds like a much better option]

Thanks again...

You're welcome :This is a good site to get the Panacur liquid from:

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/panac...00ml-10.html?gclid=CLv6wsLE39ACFcyd7QodRNwFmg

No prescription required. Registration is just giving name and D.O.B. of the rabbit.

Well that's that one resolved [for Twinkle ✨ anyway]. Just rolled it up into some Kale and she just ear it ☺️ There you have it. Vets are sometimes massively over precautions!

Thanks for the Panacur liquid place. I'll definitely check that out, but I don't think I'm going need it for a while. I thought she might spit it out when she tasted it, bur she clearly can't or it doesn't bother her ☺️

Back