• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Christmas Dilemma

bunnymum85

Warren Scout
Hello,

I've got a real dilemma on my hands, which is stressing me out and I feel awful for potentially being a bad bunny mum!

Dilemma:
We are going to my parents for Christmas this year, Christmas Day & Boxing Day at least, hopefully the week.
BUT Foxy the rabbit, I'm worried will get stressed and not be happy being away from her comfort zone.
She would be in a temporary cage, a savic Nero 4 (biggest I can find) with a separate pen (again biggest I can get, and fits in the areas she will be in).

The cage would be indoors, in the hall so bit in the warmest of places (she is currently living outdoors in a spacious hutch).
I'm worried about causing her stress by change if water, and being inside.

Also, as it stands she is in metacam twice a day.

Resolution:

A) do I take her down with us anyway, hoping she'll be okay, that way I can properly look after her.
I need to buy large pen, cage stand also.

B) leave her at home, and ask Father in law to come and feed, for 2 days but not medicate for 2 days (wouldn't be able to, not easy!!)
Leaving her as is, but not the same level of care I give (no one could)

C) Cancel travel, stay home and nurse as I am. Every morning and evening I go out, have a snuggle, sweep the hay off her quilts, tidy up, refresh water bowl, nuggets & hay and change top quilt if mucky.
Heat four snuggle sages, prep veg basket.

Last thing I want to do is stress her out, and being older it isn't ideal.

What do other people do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't really know what to suggest but would be worried about the change of temperature: outside now, indoors at your parents and then back outside.
Have you already tried rabbit boarding

Maybe someone on the forum would look after her, if you say whereabouts you are. I would certainly have her if you lived near. Our RSPCA do boarding and are very well looked after.

i'd do C if those are the only options. just because i'd be worried about the change of temperature with option A, and the metacam being missed for option B.

all i can think is maybe ask if your vets could look after her? or whether the metacam could be given by injection once a day instead and your father in law take her in?

hope you can work something out :wave:

What is she on Metacam for if you don't mind me asking?

I have a similar ish issue, I'd like to travel home over Christmas but unsure whether to take the bunnies. The journey involves two busses (around 1 hour in total) and one train (1 hour), I did it last year as had Gordon who needed injections daily only I could give and found they were stressed on the journey and were quiet over the several night I stayed and were quite nervous, they had free run of my bedroom but my house is very quiet compared to my parents especially with all the visitors over christmas. This year I think I will leave Beano and Jake at home where they are settled, my friend is popping in twice a day to feed and although they will just be quick visits I know she will pick up on anything if one of them were to be off or ill and let me know so I can tell her what to do. So, in your situation I'd say leave her at home depending on why she has the metacam and if it would really bother her missing out on some doses if your father in law would be able to spot any issues and inform you just in case.

Thank you everyone for your advice/help.

Foxy is on a 0.2ml dose of metacam twice a day, for sore hocks which due to my intensive nursing, diligence and care are much better. This is being reviewed every few weeks by the vet, next review next Wed where we will see what the vets says and if we can reduce/stop Metacam all together, even though there are no problems giving it apart from a few grunts and nips when trying to pick up bun!

Even without metacam needing to be given, I'm not happy to travel with her and have her in a cage when she is used to a spacious hutch, toys etc as there is a routine, so worst case we will go down on Christmas Day, back Boxing Day!

I really struggle to trust anyone to look after her, or Toffee (cat) as too many times we've gone away, come back and they haven't been right, my anal notes haven't been followed etc lol!

This is the only downside with pets, but I wouldn't not have them.

Really appreciate all the help, I'm going to do what's right for bunny, and no one else.

I wouldn't like to cancel the trip as it is a time for family (but then I'm at my home Christmas day and we visit my parents on boxing day only (only a hour and half drive)). If you could do it so you're only away the evening & morning I'd ask your FIL to go in and feed her and make sure she has water etc.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

That's what I'm thinking of doing, as my parents are the same distance as yours, hour and a half away so if we head down on Christmas Day (I'm cooking the dinner also, only four of us) morning and back Boxing Day afternoon-ish. It's my hubby driving, as I don't drive and gets tired driving so couldn't do same day. FIL is going to come in and feed/water so that's good.

Save travels to us all x

Back