• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introducing

Pablo2013

Warren Scout
Smokey. Pablos new wife. She is a 5yr old mini rex doe and already has bought Pablo out of his shell after him loosing his Lexi. They bonded instantly. She is so outgoing, confident and friendly. It is like she has been here forever. Any specific info about rexes greatly appriciated We are in love.
38c8d046e9a67e63a2be89868413ae60.jpg
392cc11e5abb1d09e73c0f88119eb54d.jpg
741e22906a63e8bb22265896cba270df.jpg
c1295392e248a48eab467b79459b4cf7.jpg

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

I have three Standard Rexes :love:

They are prone to sore hocks, due to a lack of fur offering protection on their hocks. Some suffer more than others with this. I have been quite lucky. I use a covering of thick hay on the floor of their shed, but their outside accommodation is on concrete, which can be a problem for Rexes with sore hocks. Making sure that the rabbit's nails are cut regularly helps as it means that the weight is evenly distributed on all four feet. Also making sure that the rabbit is not overweight obviously helps.

Based on my experience I find them to be intelligent and without any form of aggression.

Lastly, Rexes are incredibly greedy :love: I have never experienced such enormous appetites in rabbits :love:

I have three Standard Rexes :love:

They are prone to sore hocks, due to a lack of fur offering protection on their hocks. Some suffer more than others with this. I have been quite lucky. I use a covering of thick hay on the floor of their shed, but their outside accommodation is on concrete, which can be a problem for Rexes with sore hocks. Making sure that the rabbit's nails are cut regularly helps as it means that the weight is evenly distributed on all four feet. Also making sure that the rabbit is not overweight obviously helps.

Based on my experience I find them to be intelligent and without any form of aggression.

Lastly, Rexes are incredibly greedy :love: I have never experienced such enormous appetites in rabbits :love:

Rexes are wonderful Rabbits !! As Omi says, they are prone to sore hocks so it is essential that they are kept on a suitable substrate. They dont tend to do well on carpet/concrete/wood/laminate floors. Deep soft hay is usually the best substrate. Another option is rubber stable matting.

Omi has already mentioned making sure that the nails are always kept short (Smokey's look to be a bit long)

And yes, Rexes are almost always exceptionally greedy. So being very strict with their diet is also essential. Being over-weight will exacerbate sore hock problems.

One thing Rexes seem very UNLIKELY to have trouble with is Dental Disease. IME it is very rare to have a 'Dental' Rex.

I am sure that you already do so, but I'd pay particular attention to grooming Pablo to try to minimise the amount of his fur Smokey injests. I have found that the GI tract of Rexes bonded with a very fluffy Rabbit may not cope too well if they ingest a lot of fluffy fur.

Is Smokey spayed ?

She is a lovely lady :love:

Oh how beautiful! I'm glad she's helping Pablo out so much.

I also have a Lionhead/Mini Rex pair; I call them my odd couple. However, I can't really add more than has already been said regarding Rexes. Except my Mini is very people oriented, more so than my standards.

Smokey. Pablos new wife. She is a 5yr old mini rex doe and already has bought Pablo out of his shell after him loosing his Lexi. They bonded instantly. She is so outgoing, confident and friendly. It is like she has been here forever. Any specific info about rexes greatly appriciated We are in love.
38c8d046e9a67e63a2be89868413ae60.jpg
392cc11e5abb1d09e73c0f88119eb54d.jpg
741e22906a63e8bb22265896cba270df.jpg
c1295392e248a48eab467b79459b4cf7.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous :love:

I'm so glad she's doing Pablo so much good already. Do you know anything about her background?

Regarding Rexes, they can be prone to having sore hocks, but if she hasn't had them so far then the prognosis may be very good! x

Goodness, what a dreamboat! :love:
Aw, she's like a silver cloud. So soft looking. I also have a mini rex and he's been the most inquisitive and personable of my three bunnies. He was returned to the pet store we adopted him from at least twice due to being housed with obnoxious little boys who pulled his ears, or kept locked in a dark basement, so he has always been a bit headshy and easily startled. But his personality really bloomed after a few weeks with me, as I pretty much let him do what he liked the most, which was being curious about stuff. :)
She looks very gentle and sweet. Congratulations to both you and Pablo! :) xxxx

Thank you everyone. Regards to sore hocks in the bunny base they have 3 thick hay lined trays plus fleeces for bedding down on. Not much history on her background except she has a ring on with her D.O.B. she is going to vets for health check/claw clips in new year. Were not sure if shes spayed or not but highly unlikley but at 5 year old im a bit scared to enquire incase they open her up unessaceraily but on the same hand i dont want her getting overian cancer ect. We are already in love with her i have never met such an inquisitive bunny and so laid back too. Jacks Jane thank you so much for bringing it to my attention re Pablo been long haired and mutual grooming may cause issues. Is there anything i could do to prevent this?

Thank you everyone. Regards to sore hocks in the bunny base they have 3 thick hay lined trays plus fleeces for bedding down on. Not much history on her background except she has a ring on with her D.O.B. she is going to vets for health check/claw clips in new year. Were not sure if shes spayed or not but highly unlikley but at 5 year old im a bit scared to enquire incase they open her up unessaceraily but on the same hand i dont want her getting overian cancer ect. We are already in love with her i have never met such an inquisitive bunny and so laid back too. Jacks Jane thank you so much for bringing it to my attention re Pablo been long haired and mutual grooming may cause issues. Is there anything i could do to prevent this?

You can groom/comb the partner when they are that fluffy, and probably every day would be a good idea if you feel that's manageable for you??

Lots of hay and readigrasss eating for both also helps tremendously :)

That's OK :)

As I mentioned, regular grooming of Pablo will help. Feeding a 80%-90% hay diet, a good water intake and lots of exercise will also promote good gut motility.

It sounds as though Smokey may be an Ex Breeding Doe, details on the Ring should identify her Breeder aswell as the DOB of the Rabbit. If you contact the British Rabbit Council they should hold details of all Rings they have issued to Breeders.

http://www.thebrc.org/

That way you could possibly contact her Breeder. Depending on when the Breeder sold Smokey you may get some clues as to whether she's spayed. I doubt she is tbh and I would urge you to consider doing so. As you probably know, entire Does have an 80% risk of developing Uterine Cancer by the age of 5. Spaying her ASAP could double her life expectancy. A Rabbit Savvy Vet should be able to carry out an abdominal ultrasound to check if she still has a Uterus.

I dont know where you obtained her from, but if she is entire and her recent history is unknown there is always a chance that she was recently mated up and is now pregnant. Hopefully this is not the case, a Breeding Doe should be retired at 3 years of age. But it is something to bare in mind just incase.

Regarding your spaying concern .. You could get her an ultrasound (expensive and not always conclusive).

What I might consider in your position is to have the op anyway, as the risk of uterine cancer as I'm sure you know is really great as they get older. 5 years is not too old for the op, but I wouldn't want to leave it until she's much older.

Wow i didnt know they could do ultrasounds to check for spaying. How amazing. As regards to pablo he is groomed almost daily anyway but his coat is so dense its unreal he sheds hard pretty much all year round, they have farm hay in there litter boxes then in the hay rack they have tempting nommy timothy hay with forage and leaves ect avail 24/7. I will defiantly speak to my vet regards to spaying if it could double her life expetancy then i definatly want it doing..i am just so scared x

Wow i didnt know they could do ultrasounds to check for spaying. How amazing. As regards to pablo he is groomed almost daily anyway but his coat is so dense its unreal he sheds hard pretty much all year round, they have farm hay in there litter boxes then in the hay rack they have tempting nommy timothy hay with forage and leaves ect avail 24/7. I will defiantly speak to my vet regards to spaying if it could double her life expetancy then i definatly want it doing..i am just so scared x

Yes I know, it is scary. I can't pretend I wasn't scared earlier this year when I had to have a little young un spayed. It doesn't get easier, but thankfully the vets get better and more experienced as they see more rabbits :D

I had no qualms about getting any of my dogs spayed/neutered or pablo and his first wife but 5 going on 6 seems SO dodgy BUT if it can double her life we are going to bite the bullet and get her done in the new year, after a full blood work to look for nasties and pray they find nothing untowards . ***scared**** lol x

Back