• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

kazmac

New Kit
Hi, heard about this site on the web and thought just the thing. My son and his partnet have just had a rabbit. both had them when they were little but at 35 and 19 said thay was years ago. anyway, can anyone tell me how they can housetrain the bunny. He lives in a hutch outside but they have him in the house lots but at the moment spend time following him round.

Hi and welcome :wave:

How old is the bun, is it a baby or an adult? Has it been neutered? Is the area it's allowed access to bunnyproofed? Is it litter training they are having problems with?

Hello
it may be quite hard to litter train him for the hours he is in. As he isn't inside all the time, everytime he is put inside he will need to remark his territory so it smells familiar to him. This will then be cleaned after he has gone so next time he is in he will do it again. You can try putting a litter tray down in the area he is allowed with some of the bedding from his hutch and see if that encourages him to go in one place, but I am not sure it is his need to go, just him territory marking.

Does he wee at all when inside?

annie

Does he have a litter tray outside? Is not put one in his toilet corner and he'll soon start using it, then when he comes inside you can bring his litter tray in too and he should recognise what it is. Rabbits tend to favour corners so put it in a corner when you bring it in. My bunnies have always tended to cross their legs when they come in :D

Tam

house training

oh dear , my son 35 with his partner 19? my son is 25!! anyway back to bunny. not sure how old he is just a youngster I think. Have been away for the weekend so will let him know what you have all said when I see him this afternoon. I don't think he wee's inside just lots of poo!! Off shopping this morning so will get him a litter tray for them to try. thanks for the help

Back