• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I need some urgent help !!!!!

Dollymix

Young Bun
I'm new so excuse anything I've done wrong 😀
I'm moving house in less than 3 days I need to know if my rabbit can live in my garage . There are no cars it will be scrubbed before my 12 week old Rex can go in but I need to know ?
It has 2 windows and it's not attached to my house , it's more like a brick shed , I was going to make him a rather large enclosures with a pen and inside I am putting in this hutch
https://m.petplanet.co.uk/p16995/rabbit_shelter_by_petplanet.aspx
And until we get turf in the summer I was thinking of putting his pen out in the morning for home until I get home.
Please help !!!!!!:lol:
I really have no other choice and I think he would benefit as he will have loads of room in his pen 😀

Last edited:
Hello and welcome.

I don't see why your rabbit cannot live in your garage providing there are no draughts - rabbits don't mind cold but they don't do well in draughts. So long as there's nothing it can nibble on like cables, or left over oil to lick etc to make him ill, then I don't see why not. It has windows so will have natural light, but it depends on how big these windows are really, you may still need to leave a light on maybe. And of course it has to be secure - garages are notorious for being broken into.

The "hutch" you link is not a hutch, it says so in the description. If the ramp is to be left open so he can hop in and out at will then I see nothing wrong with it at all, but please don't shut him in - that would be cruel as it has no windows and looks to be a bit small.

But apart from that, I don't see why he can't live in the garage, no :)

Other members on here house their rabbits in garages (and sheds) it sounds like he will have natural light so as long as he has sufficient room to move around (recommended 10'x6') everything should be fine.
I am assuming he won't be shut in the "den" which is in the link

Edit
Is the garage attached to the house? How cold does it get out there compared to the room he has been living in? Rabbits are not supposed to be subjected to extreme temperature changes

Last edited:
I'm not wholly confident about answering this (i've always had house bunnies & never had very young rabbits).
I think I'd be a little worried if he is used to living inside & his only being 12 weeks. Moving rabbits outside should really be done with plenty of time to develop a winter coat. Does he have a bunny friend?

I think it's too cold now for such a young rabbit who has lived indoors to go outside. Also I believe Rexes need more warmth than normal coated rabbits.

Hi welcome to the forum, if bunny is only 12 weeks old and been indoors, it's too cold now for him to go outside. It's true that rex's have a much thinner coat and need more warmth. Is there any particular reason why he can't stay indoors? Bunnies will use litter trays and as long as you make your room bunny proof, they can be quite safe and happy indoors.

I'm also looking to invest in heat pads als there would be those foam interlocking mats for the floor so he wouldn't be on the hard floor and also he would have mats on top of that xx

Hi welcome to the forum, if bunny is only 12 weeks old and been indoors, it's too cold now for him to go outside. It's true that rex's have a much thinner coat and need more warmth. Is there any particular reason why he can't stay indoors? Bunnies will use litter trays and as long as you make your room bunny proof, they can be quite safe and happy indoors.

I'm moving house and have no other choice ��

It's too old for any 12wk old bunny who is used to living inside to go out. They build up thick winter coats and he won't have that protection. Sorry I know it's not what you want to hear, but he really needs to stay inside. It might be better if he wasn't a) so young b) a Rex and 3) on his own

It's too old for any 12wk old bunny who is used to living inside to go out. They build up thick winter coats and he won't have that protection. Sorry I know it's not what you want to hear, but he really needs to stay inside. It might be better if he wasn't a) so young b) a Rex and 3) on his own

He wouldn't be exactly outdoors he would be in the garage which is classed as a our house if I'm correct �� He was an outdoor rabbit. Efirei got him thoug

I have my bunnies in the garage, sounds like a very similar set-up - brick building with windows and although mine is attached to the house. It works really well as they have loads of space and stops our rented house from getting damaged. However I too would be really worried about the cold, it's always warmer than outside in there (hasn't dropped below 3.5 degrees so far even though it's been in minus temps outside) but nowehere near the warmth of the house. My bunnies have their thick winter coats on now.

You also mention putting a run outside...we have one and they love it! You'll need to make sure it's really secure because foxes can be about even in the day, there's loads of tips on here for predator-proofing runs. Good luck with the move!

Would you be able to get an electricity supply to the brick shed? If you can get heating out there like an oil filled radiator or heat lamps then I don't see a problem (no naked flames of course). I understand you have no option. Ideally he would stay indoors all winter and go out next Spring but life is never that straightforwards. With some form of constant heat source and good amounts of thick, dry bedding, he should be fine. But he may struggle a bit if there is no heating. A friend would be someone to snuggle up to for warmth if you could consider it ;).

I have my bunnies in the garage, sounds like a very similar set-up - brick building with windows and although mine is attached to the house. It works really well as they have loads of space and stops our rented house from getting damaged. However I too would be really worried about the cold, it's always warmer than outside in there (hasn't dropped below 3.5 degrees so far even though it's been in minus temps outside) but nowehere near the warmth of the house. My bunnies have their thick winter coats on now.

You also mention putting a run outside...we have one and they love it! You'll need to make sure it's really secure because foxes can be about even in the day, there's loads of tips on here for predator-proofing runs. Good luck with the move!

Have you got a pic , I was planing on putting interlocking mats at the bottom then his mats and towels over , he will have a hide but as we are renting I can't give him enough space inside and I want him to be able to run and play while I'm out
The heat will be sorted as I will find away to keep him warm xxxxx

Back