• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need Housing Help ASAP

Meg362

New Kit
• It's important that I find a hutch by the end of the week, as that's when it will get very cold. If no one can help or I can't find a hutch that meets the minimum size requirements, I will have to settle for a small hutch temporarily for the Winter. •

So originally we were going to keep my first rabbit Junebug outside this winter, but as it's starting to be winter we are realizing it might be best to bring her inside. It can get very cold where I am (USA) and we are already expected to be getting our first front of arctic air at the end of the week. Not only am I worried about her being cold, but we are also worried about actually getting to spend time with her. It's too cold for us to sit outside with her, and even going to feed her can be hard with the wind and cold. I feel bad because she isn't getting as much attention as usual. So my parents have told me she can come inside. However, they want a hutch without runs. Junebug uses her litter box but has a habit of kicking the liter out, and they don't want it getting on the floor. We also have a cat and even though they get along, I don't want to take any chances of him getting into the cage so a hutch is the best option. We are also limited on space and can't get a super big hutch, but I still want it to meet the minimum size requirements. Are there any hutches on Amazon or petsmart/petco that would work? If the hutch is on the smaller size we could always just give her lots of outside the cage time. :)

Last edited:
The minimum size hutch recommended by RWAF is 6ft X 2ft X 2ft with a permanently attached run of 8ft X 6ft. Rabbits should never be confined to the hutch, hence the motto 'A hutch is not enough' - it is meant to provide shelter and somewhere cosy to sleep, not be a prison.

Sorry - I meant to reply to this a couple days ago but got distracted at work and forgot :oops:

As Babsie has said, they recommend a 6ft x 2ft hutch with a 6ft x 8ft run. This totals 60sqft and the same amount of space should also be available inside.

You can get puppy play pens for around $60 and they would be the best to corner off part of a room for your bun to live in while indoors. Using something like a 32l underbed storage box as a litter tray should prevent litter from being kicked around and should make your parents happy that she'll be tidy.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thank you! I will be getting a 12 square foot hutch and attaching the playpen she already has to it. My parents are ok with this because I found out that I can buy a bottom for it so litter won't get on the floor. Would it be ok to confine her to the hutch at night, but let her have access to the playpen all day? The hutch will arrive this weekend.

Last edited:
I would just rather her be in her hutch during the night, when I can't keep an eye on her. She has adjusted to our routine and sleeps at night anyway.

It's unlikely she is actually sleeping at night. It's a bunnies nature to be most active at dusk and dawn (when we are sleeping) so at night is when she'll need the access to her pen.

The fact she's confined to a pen should mean you don't need to monitor her as she can't get to anything to cause damage. If you're worried maybe make a little roof for the pen.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I agree with Babsie and DaphnePhoebe, she should never be confined to her hutch as they are so active, even or especially at night and need space at all times

I agree with the above. When I first got rabbits I had a big cage in a run and I used to shut them up at night because I was worried about them getting up to mischief...this lasted all of a week when I saw how desperate they were to be let out in a morning. They have constant access to the run now and have been fine, just make sure your playpen is nice and secure.

Back