• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House bunnies at night

clarebear

Mama Doe
How do you keep your housebuns warm at night, once the heating has gone off?
We give Bungee a heat pad, but I don't think she uses it and I'm worried she's cold.

That's true! :) I just worry that the heating is on in the evening and then we turn it off when we go to bed. The radiator in her room is turned down very low, but she must feel the difference. Her ears were cold when I got up this morning too.

I never bother, they have their fur coat and each other to snuggle with. I can't have my heating on overnight as the boiler is in the cupboard next to my bedroom and the noise would keep me awake.

How do you keep your housebuns warm at night, once the heating has gone off?
We give Bungee a heat pad, but I don't think she uses it and I'm worried she's cold.

For young and middle aged buns I doubt this is a problem. However for elderlies it is a concern (or can be).

I use a 24/7 electric heated pad. Someone here said this wasn't safe, but it's the same heated bed my vet uses all the time for recuperating sick animals, and it's incredibly gentle and good on old bones.

I also put an electric heater on a thermostat very low, all night. It just takes the edge off the room, which can be very cold.

I guess it depends on how much meat there is on them there bones :D

we have about 30 rabbits over 8 living outside. their hutches are well insulated and they have plenty of hay but no heating. they do really well, even when there is ice on the water bowls. rabbit fur is really warm, especially next to another warm body. cold ears aren't a problem, the rabbit will actually constrict the blood vessels in the ears to keep most of the blood deeper in the body to conserve heat. to see if they are warm enough feel underneath a foreleg.

Not to say I don't worry about them out there in the cold at their ages, we have done lots of extra insulating this year to help them cope. Poor Caroline's fingers nearly froze off today while she draft proofed shed doors and bubble wrapped shed roofs! But indoors, with the heating off for just a few hours, there is no need to worry. Just give them a cozy place to sleep if they choose to, although as often as not they will sleep out in the open as they are fine in thier warm coats. Unlike guinea pigs who always use the warm boxes.

They have their fur coats and each other to cuddle up to. Heating in the house automatically clicks on gently if it goes below 17/18degc so tend not to worry.

You could offer litter trays of hay to snuggle into :)

They have their fur coats and each other to cuddle up to. Heating in the house automatically clicks on gently if it goes below 17/18degc so tend not to worry.

You could offer litter trays of hay to snuggle into :)

My home heating only comes on if it's below 16 degrees, and I never have it on overnight, just in the evenings :lol:

Hi,

I've also started a tread recently as I feel my house bunnies get cold too... But everyone has assured me that they must be warm. Mine also had freezing cold ears and were cold to touch! :( they have numerous beds, but my bun prefers to sleep on the carpet. We brought a cheap sofa throw last weekend, fold it up and he has started lieing on that.. And they also have plenty of space so they can run around to keep warm! Xx

I've also done a thread about my cold inside bunnies ...house bunnies are wusses

4ffaf50a-4053-4704-be6a-85a0986a2684_zpspljmelhi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] (little Joey is under there being kept warm by his wives)

When I put a blanket over them they just lie there, poor babies

Yes complete wusses!!! Mine literally lie under the radiator & when the heating knocks off, gives me the look to say 'erm... Why is the heating off... Did I say it could be turned off!!??' :lol: :lol:

Robins a house bunny but his home is in the conservatory which does still drop cold.
I have a cover over his water bottle .
he has a water bottle because he throws bowls around and gets soaked

He has blankets and a cat bed which he also just throws about and doesn't use

I was thinking to get him a waterbottle but no idea what type I need

We only have the down stairs radiators on so it's always a bit colder upstairs - about 18 degrees. It gets colder at night as we have a window open at night in our bedroom (hubby and I LOVE cold :shock::lol:). The buns are absolutely fine - they have lovely thick coats and each other to snuggle with. Holly chooses to sleep on her tile which is even colder than the floor :shock:

Cookie in the conservatory has a plug in radiator always on and I just adjust the temp as and when it needs it (she can't get to the wires) it mostly just takes the chill out of the air, but she enjoys sitting near the heat coming from it so I don't let it get too warm (she is more like a cat than a bunny!) Our boiler broke years ago so Lola in the house is pretty used to it being cold, although I've started switching on plug in heaters and she has just started drinking more so I think I've made it too warm now rather than having problems with her being cold :oops:

Pepper is in a hutch (indoors) over night. In the bedroom compartment, she has two fleecy blankets (under a wooden arch for extra coziness) and a soft toy rabbit (occasionally gets chucked out).

Teddy is very well behaved and allowed to roam free. He has recently taken a liking to the treadmill (!), so we've put a soft blanket on it for him. This seems to be enough for him.

We have no heating on over night.

Once madam behaves, they'll be bonded and can snuggle together. :D

Pepper is in a hutch (indoors) over night. In the bedroom compartment, she has two fleecy blankets (under a wooden arch for extra coziness) and a soft toy rabbit (occasionally gets chucked out).

Teddy is very well behaved and allowed to roam free. He has recently taken a liking to the treadmill (!), so we've put a soft blanket on it for him. This seems to be enough for him.

We have no heating on over night.

Once madam behaves, they'll be bonded and can snuggle together. :D

not gutted & beheaded like she did to your toy then :lol:

Back