• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is carpet offcut safe to insulate bunny house?

hyic

Young Bun
Hi all, my pair of buns always stay in the outdoor greenhouse. I only put them to the playpen whenever it is nice weather or need to clean the greenhouse. But it is so cold these few days so I'm wondering if I get some carpet offcut to put on the floor. Obviously, it won't be able to tuck in the sides so I want to know if buns will flip it up and chew it?

Sent from my CUBOT MAX using Tapatalk

Our greenhouse floor is paving slabs so quite cold, so what is the best way to insulate it then if buns will chew carpet? Don't wanna end up trip to Vet!

Our greenhouse floor is paving slabs so quite cold, so what is the best way to insulate it then if buns will chew carpet? Don't wanna end up trip to Vet!

You can get rubber matting like horses have in stables, I think that is very sturdy, I'm not sure of the name of it.... If you take a look in the housing section you may find ideas there xx

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?58-Housing

https://www.horsematshop.co.uk/product-category/equine/stable-floors/

Last edited:
surprisingly slabs are warmer than a shed floor as the ground doesn't freeze but the air under a shed can be below freezing. which is why the water in the sheds and hutches with wooden floors was frozen this morning but not the bowls sitting on the slabs in the hutches with runs under them. it seems counterintuitive until you think about it properly. of course if it gets cold enough for the ground to freeze and stay frozen this won't be the case any longer.

I would bed the floor of the green house like a stable. that is what we do with our concrete floored stables and our sheds. a nice layer of chopped straw all over then lots of hay where they will sit and sleep. carpet or laminate floors are not a good idea for rabbits as they will eat them and could get a blockage. you can buy chopped straw in a big bale from a horse supplies place. it composts really well too.

Mine thought the carpet was an extra big comfy litter tray :lol: Ive now got straw down and like tulsi suggested i raised wooden area with a doormat on that i can easily throw into the washer, but funnily enough they havnt used that as a litter tray.

Back