• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed for two rascal buns

loobers25

Warren Veteran
Hi everyone,

I would like some ideas to keep my two buns safe while playing. Toby is six months and milly is 3 months old.

I have provided many activities including tunnels, digging box, forage boxes and bags, many toys and houses. However, they are both so naughty and destroy everything. I'm running out of things I feel can be safe for them to chew. I even went to pah to collect a hay tunnel just so we could get some sleep. They are keeping me awake every night, digging and chewing on things.

Whatever they have, they eat the whole lot. So what can I give them that's safe for their tummy and ages. They used to love Apple twigs and pine cones but now more focused on skirting boards and stuff they shouldn't be. They are getting naughtier everyday. I have always had single male elder buns who never gave me this much naughtiness! I get them out every night in the lounge to burn of steam for several hours. They even have their own Christmas Dec's on the tree. They are worrying me to death. I really don't want them eating something they should be. Please help!

df7fa254734001b8fe9e70852b5e5624.jpg

da9bd2dc718672f375cc010b21aa0951.jpg

1f2769dd2d125872d60a604ef5d0aace.jpg

52196ec7798d050afb6af4d8a8e23540.jpg

d886d09bae48aae10954ad894a73a864.jpg

ee13bb3196437af66557496b0129a05e.jpg

74a9ebccb3b258d55889f1ba449a9343.jpg

2857e6795a0dcc0ccdbf3ee6ceff7f99.jpg

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Awwww - they're still babies really bless them - they will calm down as they mature - especially once they've been neutered.

I have no advice against nibble skirting boards I'm afraid - mine have grown out of the habit but we haven't replace the 'art' they produced when younger yet :D

Hopefully someone can help !

Tobys neuterd and milly will be neuterd in the new year. I hope so they are so restless!

Well, if they're anything like my bunnies nothing will prevent them being naughty. Mine are all neutered and still drive me mad. All my skirting boards in my room are chewed, all my furniture, carpets, bed and my wall has been chewed. They've even chewed my door. The only thing to stop them is putting plastic skirting on all the wooden edges. This has stopped them. The only thing I can suggest is to provide them with lots of tasty hay and forage to keep them occupied. Also things like the sea grass tunnels, cardboard boxes filled with hay and other yummy things and toys will help to divert their attention. Ultimately rabbits chew and dig and it's just something you have to deal with lol.

For troublesom little terrors the trick is to do away with food bowls completely and feed a small ration of dry food in toys/enrichment devices. Just use dry food for things that require most effort so wrapped in paper, inside a box that's sealed up and needs shredding for access. Aim for about 10g of dry food per 1kg of rabbit per day. Reducing dry food means they need to spend more time eating hay/forage/veggies to replace the same calories which means less time eating skirting. It's a healthier diet and all the toys you are giving will have much more incentive when they are actively foraging for dinner not just for fun.

As they get smarter at working things out, make them harder e.g. layering boxes or hanging them up, burying them in hay or making it so they have to hop on a box to pull down a box they then have to break into etc.

My two were very destructive and showed no interest in playing with any expensive toys. What they did like is cardboard boxes, especially the thick ones that had been used by the supermarket for fruit. Other than that, it was just a case of protecting anything I didn't want them to eat.

For troublesom little terrors the trick is to do away with food bowls completely and feed a small ration of dry food in toys/enrichment devices. Just use dry food for things that require most effort so wrapped in paper, inside a box that's sealed up and needs shredding for access. Aim for about 10g of dry food per 1kg of rabbit per day. Reducing dry food means they need to spend more time eating hay/forage/veggies to replace the same calories which means less time eating skirting. It's a healthier diet and all the toys you are giving will have much more incentive when they are actively foraging for dinner not just for fun.

As they get smarter at working things out, make them harder e.g. layering boxes or hanging them up, burying them in hay or making it so they have to hop on a box to pull down a box they then have to break into etc.
I don't know why I didn't take a way the bowls before. I have had sleep the past two nights-wahoo. Thank you very much for your help

Back