• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weight loss and small poos

Rhian33

Warren Veteran
I have an appointment booked this evening with my excellent bunny vet but just wanted some opinions here first. My bunny Lola (spayed female approximately 3 years) has started to lose weight and isn't doing poos as large as I would hope. I suspect it might be teeth related but is there anything else this could be? She's up to date with vaccinations and is lively. She's still eating veg, pellets and forage but I must admit I rarely see her eat hay which also makes me suspect teeth issues. My other pair are normal weight - possibly slightly podgier than I'd like and they are doing enormous golden poos atm so I don't think this is something I'm doing wrong diet wise.

Any suggestions appreciated.

I have an appointment booked this evening with my excellent bunny vet but just wanted some opinions here first. My bunny Lola (spayed female approximately 3 years) has started to lose weight and isn't doing poos as large as I would hope. I suspect it might be teeth related but is there anything else this could be? She's up to date with vaccinations and is lively. She's still eating veg, pellets and forage but I must admit I rarely see her eat hay which also makes me suspect teeth issues. My other pair are normal weight - possibly slightly podgier than I'd like and they are doing enormous golden poos atm so I don't think this is something I'm doing wrong diet wise.

I agree, teeth would be my first thought too. I would not try to run through all the myriad of possible other causes as there are several, dental issues really are the most likely. A full examination of Lola will hopefully enable your Vet to ascertain what is going on. Good luck x

Thanks Jane. Hopefully that's all it is. She had investigations before I adopted her for drinking a lot of water but nothing came of it and her kidney function appeared to be normal. If there are no obvious teeth issues I'm guessing my vet will start on kidneys then liver etc as that's how she approached it in the past when I've had a bun with similar symptoms.

Yes Rhian it appears on first glance to look like teeth issues. It's just so difficult for a vet to diagnose without sedation (unless they do conscious dentals, which many don't)

I hope you get some answers at the vet tonight :)

My vet is pretty good when it comes to seeing teeth issues. She used to be the vet of a local rescue so saw dental issues regularly so I'm confident that if there's something there she'll spot it.

Thanks for the help I will be back later to update.

My vet is pretty good when it comes to seeing teeth issues. She used to be the vet of a local rescue so saw dental issues regularly so I'm confident that if there's something there she'll spot it.

Thanks for the help I will be back later to update.

That's reassuring! xx

Home from the vet now. There was nothing obviously wrong with her teeth so was given fluids and will be back in for further tests tomorrow. She has lost 500g since last seen in August so something clearly isn't right particularly as she's eating. Tomorrow she will have bloods done and if that shoes nothing she will be sedated for x-rays and visual teeth checks.

Home from the vet now. There was nothing obviously wrong with her teeth so was given fluids and will be back in for further tests tomorrow. She has lost 500g since last seen in August so something clearly isn't right particularly as she's eating. Tomorrow she will have bloods done and if that shoes nothing she will be sedated for x-rays and visual teeth checks.

I'm glad you have a good plan in place.

I hope the bloods go well. My rabbits really hang on to their blood and the vet has an awful time of it :)

Absolutely, fingers crossed.

Does your vet have to send the blood away or can they process it on the spot?

They can do it in house on the spot. My vet tends to have a starting point with diagnostics and moves on to the next thing once she has the results of the test.

Will post once she's called me. My OH is dropping her in with her partner and a picnic in a bit but I'm at work today unfortunately. She was bright this morning when I went out to feed them and ran in for breakfast.

They can do it in house on the spot. My vet tends to have a starting point with diagnostics and moves on to the next thing once she has the results of the test.

Will post once she's called me. My OH is dropping her in with her partner and a picnic in a bit but I'm at work today unfortunately. She was bright this morning when I went out to feed them and ran in for breakfast.

Topping up the vibes :love:

Just a quick update. Still not got to the bottom of it. Kidney function normal, liver enzyme slightly high but not hugely - no cocci found in stool sample. Protein levels low, calcium levels a little high and urea high.

Skull x-rays normal however, there are pockets of gas in the abdomen and my vet thinks that her abdomen is looking generally abnormal and thinks there is a possible blockage in her caecum. Test results and x-rays have been sent to Iain Cope for a second opinion.

Just a quick update. Still not got to the bottom of it. Kidney function normal, liver enzyme slightly high but not hugely - no cocci found in stool sample. Protein levels low, calcium levels a little high and urea high.

Skull x-rays normal however, there are pockets of gas in the abdomen and my vet thinks that her abdomen is looking generally abnormal and thinks there is a possible blockage in her caecum. Test results and x-rays have been sent to Iain Cope for a second opinion.

If you wanted a bit of info' about cecal impaction this link may be useful

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Caecal_Impaction.htm

I hope IC will be able to shed some light on what is going on x

Do you know how long you'll have to wait before Iain Cope will come back to you?

I would try not to worry about what might be going on until you have a few more facts.

Do you know how long you'll have to wait before Iain Cope will come back to you?

I would try not to worry about what might be going on until you have a few more facts.

Not sure yet. He's apparently not working Saturday and Sunday but is back in on Monday. My vet is in tomorrow and Monday so will get back to me as soon as he replies. She doesn't think Lola is in pain so has said to just make sure she has a heatpad and plenty of food and we will see what he says Monday.

If you wanted a bit of info' about cecal impaction this link may be useful

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Caecal_Impaction.htm

I hope IC will be able to shed some light on what is going on x

Jane, this doesn't quite fit. There has been no decrease in appetite. She is eating loads (we have increased both veg and dry food to try and get her through this), doesn't seem to be in pain and is producing plenty of poo although on the smaller and darker side of normal but not the sort I'd expect to see in a rabbit with reduced appetite. Thee is also no sign of pain although I'm very aware they hide it well and there is no mucous.

Jane, this doesn't quite fit. There has been no decrease in appetite. She is eating loads (we have increased both veg and dry food to try and get her through this), doesn't seem to be in pain and is producing plenty of poo although on the smaller and darker side of normal but not the sort I'd expect to see in a rabbit with reduced appetite. Thee is also no sign of pain although I'm very aware they hide it well and there is no mucous.

From the symptoms you posted on here I agree. But as your Vet mentioned it as a possibility I posted the link. I expect IC will have some useful advice as to the best way forward regarding diagnostics/treatment :)

From the symptoms you posted on here I agree. But as your Vet mentioned it as a possibility I posted the link. I expect IC will have some useful advice as to the best way forward regarding diagnostics/treatment :)

Hope so. I have a feeling my vet suspects more than she's telling me but is wanting a 2nd opinion before saying something. I may be reading far too much into this and I should stop worrying.

Back