• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do Rabbits hold grudges?

Hi all, we walk in our house doing the "bunny shuffle". Well, Alfie darted out in front of me and got a foot in the bum, slid a few feet and scampers off. Not hard enough to hurt anything but his pride. Now he went off under his home and when I tried to say sorry I got grunted at, twice. Now he won't 't come for a scratch (but he has come back in my room)

How do I say sorry and make peace with him?

Rod

Well my bunny seemed to have got the monk on with me for going away for a few days .. so I think they do for a short while

Yeah treats are always good, but doesn't always work. Bunbuns is always fine when stuff like that happens, not that it happens a lot of course, but she will sulk for a few mins, then come for a cuddle, even without treats needed. Fluffy on the other hand will hold a grudge. When I cut his claws for example, he will sulk for the rest of the day. If I give him treats he will come, grab them, then give me the bunny butt again. lol

As said... Food.

The girls get grumpy with me when I don't do things a specific way or they get a little knock etc so I give them a while to calm down (mainly to avoid nips) then bribe with treats lol

Lopsy does this: no idea why most of the time, we've not done anything! Which I think might be the reason! No treats = no cuddles! Aboleth likes cuddles too much ;P But then she is the fatty! :lol:

They come around eventually. Petra likes a good strop every now and again but a bit of parsley always does the trick [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

They really do have "strops" don't they. They are a lot like us humans.

Rod

Ohhhhh yes they do. You never quite realise until they start stropping how much like us they are. My dad always laughs saying that animals are like their humans and that Petty's temper tantrums are a lot like mine [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Persephone has been seriously stroppy with me for a few months. I tried to medicate her about twice! She's only just becoming to come around now after several months of sulking. :lol:

My Max has full blown tantrums when I go away. OH says he is in a rage most of the time, throwing stuff around his pen, grunting and lunging at everything :shock: He carries on for a day or 2 when Im back then is OK again, he's such a control freak :roll:

I woulnd't call it "holding a grudge", it's more like that they get cautious very fast. Had to medicate a doe (eyedrops) which absolutly hates being picked up, on the second day it was already a bloody (my blood) fight to get her out of the hutch, after the 2 weeks it needed half a year for her to forget about it and demand noserubs again.

Accidents didn't matter that much, they really do resent it when they know you do it on purpose, and have kind of second sight when you're up to it again.

Another thing is when they provoke an action, like refusing to go into the hutch at nightfall, first I try to bribe them, then I shoo them, and after running around the garden with flashlight and a long stick, cursing like hell (yes, I do think my neighbours somewhat worry..), for an hour I finally lose my temper and catch them. They don't really hold a grudge for that, they know they had it comming.

It's true, we are just mammals like rabbits, since I have them I can cope better with upsetting behaviour of some people.

Back