• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Harry's just a bit....quiet

HannahB

Young Bun
Morning lovelies

Honestly, in my 8 years of having houserabbits I've never had such a hard year with them as this one. We lost Missy, Harry has had some major bouts of stasis that have seen him hospitalised, and we rescued Molly and took on all of her problems. I long for the days when we just used to let our bunnies binky freely round the house together and not have to give it much more thought!

So I posted a couple of weeks ago because Harry was a bit off his food. He's been prone to stasis all his life and we've never got to the bottom of it. Last time he was poorly a couple of weeks ago, he'd got to the point of refusing food so we medicated with metacam and cisipride under the direction of Richard at Trinity Vets in Maidstone. After all we went through with Missy, I was keen to get him checked so we took him in and I felt entirely daft when Richard commented on how it's lovely to see such a healthy bunny because they only ever see sick ones :lol: He got examined by Allie a few days later as we had to take Molly in for a check up and she was really happy with his condition too.

Anyway, we treated Harry for a few days after his symptoms subsided just to make sure he was totally ok. He was back to bunkying, playing and throwing himself around. You know how sometimes it's not until they're better that you realise they must have been feeling under the weather?

So Harry's generally fine. He's suddenly showing an almost manic interest in his hay - more than he ever has done in all his life - and he's pooping great. However he's developed a slightly weird habit of not quite clearing all of his food when given veggies and pellets (not normal for him, he'd normally barely leave a speck of food in his bowl). He'll eat all of his veggies and herbage, some of his pellets but then go back for the rest later. You certainly couldn't say that he's not eating, but he's just a bit off. He's also a bit quieter in himself. A bit more keen to go and lie down, a bit less interested in being playful. He can be coaxed into it if you badger him.

Am I being a hyperchondriac bunny mummy? I don't want to take him to the vets if there's nothing wrong, and after all he is eating and pooing. I'm nervous because we lost Missy after it turned out she had pneumonia - she'd had it for months and we dismissed the slight changes in her behaviour (it didn't help she was also on metacam for arthiritis which probably helped mask her symptoms).

If your bun was just a little quieter than normal but showing no real signs of ill health, what would you do?

I wonder if there's something seasonal going on?

One of our rabbits has been eating her pellets a bit slower too, no obvious health issues either. she has had a big shake up in routine though - her husbun had stasis last week and we had to separate them. We pit the eating down to that, but I do wonder if the weather has changed her priorities!

Hmmm. Funny enough we've had a change of routine too as Harry lost his partner fairly recently and the house is yet to really settle into a new routine with his new soon-to-be partner. So hard to know at what point to involve the vet.

Is the new Bun with you already ? If so could Harry be reacting to the presence of a new Rabbit in his environment ?

Morning lovelies

Honestly, in my 8 years of having houserabbits I've never had such a hard year with them as this one. We lost Missy, Harry has had some major bouts of stasis that have seen him hospitalised, and we rescued Molly and took on all of her problems. I long for the days when we just used to let our bunnies binky freely round the house together and not have to give it much more thought!

So I posted a couple of weeks ago because Harry was a bit off his food. He's been prone to stasis all his life and we've never got to the bottom of it. Last time he was poorly a couple of weeks ago, he'd got to the point of refusing food so we medicated with metacam and cisipride under the direction of Richard at Trinity Vets in Maidstone. After all we went through with Missy, I was keen to get him checked so we took him in and I felt entirely daft when Richard commented on how it's lovely to see such a healthy bunny because they only ever see sick ones :lol: He got examined by Allie a few days later as we had to take Molly in for a check up and she was really happy with his condition too.

Anyway, we treated Harry for a few days after his symptoms subsided just to make sure he was totally ok. He was back to bunkying, playing and throwing himself around. You know how sometimes it's not until they're better that you realise they must have been feeling under the weather?

So Harry's generally fine. He's suddenly showing an almost manic interest in his hay - more than he ever has done in all his life - and he's pooping great. However he's developed a slightly weird habit of not quite clearing all of his food when given veggies and pellets (not normal for him, he'd normally barely leave a speck of food in his bowl). He'll eat all of his veggies and herbage, some of his pellets but then go back for the rest later. You certainly couldn't say that he's not eating, but he's just a bit off. He's also a bit quieter in himself. A bit more keen to go and lie down, a bit less interested in being playful. He can be coaxed into it if you badger him.

Am I being a hyperchondriac bunny mummy? I don't want to take him to the vets if there's nothing wrong, and after all he is eating and pooing. I'm nervous because we lost Missy after it turned out she had pneumonia - she'd had it for months and we dismissed the slight changes in her behaviour (it didn't help she was also on metacam for arthiritis which probably helped mask her symptoms).

If your bun was just a little quieter than normal but showing no real signs of ill health, what would you do?

It's really difficult as you know, because when a vet sees what they think is a healthy rabbit, they don't appreciate the other times they don't get to see them behaving just off colour or quiet.

If my bun was quiet but there was nothing else to go on, I would take him to the vet - but *only* if I had one of those intuitive vets who can really notice what's going on at a deeper level. I hope you understand what I mean. The sort that will have a feel of them and notice that something inside is a bit more swollen, or that the eye looks different - things we might not spot. I find this sort of vet quite rare on the ground, but they do exist.

Otherwise, watch and wait for a bit- could the hay consumption have something to do with him not eating up all his food? Are there other stresses around that you've taken for granted maybe?

New bun is here already but has been here for around 6 weeks now. He actually doesn't seem all that bothered by her presence. He had an initial strop when she arrived, had a stasis event a couple of weeks ago which he's recovered from and has been fine since. He's just a little low and I can't put my finger on what it is. Wary of missing something if there is an underlying issue, but also keen to avoid the stress and expense of a vet visit when all I have to tell them is 'he's a bit quiet'. Does that make sense?

This morning, for example, I let him out for a play and he went to lie down rather than hopping about, but as soon as he realised he was getting fresh hay he came straight over and shoved his head in the bag to start eating. If only they could talk!!

It's really difficult as you know, because when a vet sees what they think is a healthy rabbit, they don't appreciate the other times they don't get to see them behaving just off colour or quiet.

If my bun was quiet but there was nothing else to go on, I would take him to the vet - but *only* if I had one of those intuitive vets who can really notice what's going on at a deeper level. I hope you understand what I mean. The sort that will have a feel of them and notice that something inside is a bit more swollen, or that the eye looks different - things we might not spot. I find this sort of vet quite rare on the ground, but they do exist.

Otherwise, watch and wait for a bit- could the hay consumption have something to do with him not eating up all his food? Are there other stresses around that you've taken for granted maybe?

I wondered exactly the same about hay consumption simply meaning that he's full. My gut is telling me that if I took him in at the moment, they'd send me on my way pretty quickly as there really isn't anything to report other than a slight change in behaviour. I'm sure that if I pushed it, they'd do a full health screen with bloods etc but that's both stressful and expensive if it's not really needed. I gave him metacam yesterday in case there was any pain going on (and keen to avoid a stasis episode) but have taken him off that today so we can get a feel for what's happening, with no meds interfering.

The *only* other thing going on right not is the arrival of Molly, but as I've just posted, that was a few weeks ago. I'm not sure he's terribly pleased about her arrival but it hasn't stopped him binkying around. The downside is that he's getting less play time as I'm having to exercise them seperately given that they're not bonded yet. I suppose that could be getting him down.

Could he have some arthritic pain ?

It's possible - he's over 7 now. I have a load of Oxbow joint supplements left over from Missy as she was on them and twice daily metacam for her suspected arthirits, which did seem to help. Mind you, I think the metacam also masked her pneumonia, meaning we caught it quite late. I started him on the supplements this morning but I think they take a while to take effect.

Do you know if arthiritis can be accurately diagnosed without xrays? Our last vet just hummed and ahh'd and then decided that due to Missy's age, it was probably arthiritis.

It's possible - he's over 7 now. I have a load of Oxbow joint supplements left over from Missy as she was on them and twice daily metacam for her suspected arthirits, which did seem to help. Mind you, I think the metacam also masked her pneumonia, meaning we caught it quite late. I started him on the supplements this morning but I think they take a while to take effect.

Do you know if arthiritis can be accurately diagnosed without xrays?
Our last vet just hummed and ahh'd and then decided that due to Missy's age, it was probably arthiritis.

Sometimes a Rabbit savvy Vet may be able to do so, yes.

Could he be depressed? If he's lost his buddy and feeling a bit lonely and his routine is off, it'd make sense. I know what you mean about not wanting to stress him with unnecessary vet visits - I'm much the same just now.

Try some new toys and some special herbs with dinner, see if it perks him up over a few days.

Hi MiniC, that's a good tip, thank you. He's still taking treats and he loves herbs so I'll get some delicious coriander and see what he does with that

I wondered exactly the same about hay consumption simply meaning that he's full. My gut is telling me that if I took him in at the moment, they'd send me on my way pretty quickly as there really isn't anything to report other than a slight change in behaviour. I'm sure that if I pushed it, they'd do a full health screen with bloods etc but that's both stressful and expensive if it's not really needed. I gave him metacam yesterday in case there was any pain going on (and keen to avoid a stasis episode) but have taken him off that today so we can get a feel for what's happening, with no meds interfering.

The *only* other thing going on right not is the arrival of Molly, but as I've just posted, that was a few weeks ago. I'm not sure he's terribly pleased about her arrival but it hasn't stopped him binkying around. The downside is that he's getting less play time as I'm having to exercise them seperately given that they're not bonded yet. I suppose that could be getting him down.

I would find it unusual that Molly would cause such symptoms after a few weeks of being there.

I should keep a watchful eye and hope something (or nothing?) comes to light.

Do you know if arthiritis can be accurately diagnosed without xrays? Our last vet just hummed and ahh'd and then decided that due to Missy's age, it was probably arthiritis.

Yes, a good vet can manipulate the joints (gently) and decide whether or not there is arthritis present. Far safer than a GA for X-Ray

Sparky got depressed being outside and stopped eating, this bought him a one way ticket into the house and becoming fully fledged house bun.

Based on what you've said already, I'm wondering whether there may be teeth issues.

Cleo went off her nuggets but would still munch hay & greens and turned out she had some spurs that were causing her a few issues.

So I think that Harry might know that I've been speaking about him behind his back because he's quite a bit perkier tonight. Thank you all so so much for your thoughts and for now I shall just keep a close eye on him and play it by ear. Thank you 🙏🏻

Back