• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Recovery post neutering

LauraB

Young Bun
Billy has gone to have his nether regions 'done'. He's about 4 1/2 months now, outdoor bunny and it's -7 here at night. Previously post op I've kept them inside for a few days to monitor I'm worried I'll risk him getting used to the heating. No other options apart from out in hutch or indoors. And the what should I do with his wifebun whilst he's recovering?

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

This is what I would do. Put them both in the coolest part of the house for one night then return to outdoors. This will enable you to monitor him and ensure his wifebun doesn't attack him. She shouldn't but you never know. Tomorrow late morning you will have to return them to their hutch. He shouldn't be allowed to jump for a few days. Have some greens ready to tempt him but boys usually eat fairly quickly after their op. Hope he recovers well x

You'll probbaly find that his partner is ok without him if they're both very young? Definitely give him a few days to recover before putting them back together. A trip to the vets means they smell funny and the bunny partner generally doesn't like that and may take offence in the form of agression. My Harry managed to pull out one of his stiches the night of his neuter but bounced back from the whole ordeal really fast. A spay is much more traumatic - the boys get an easier ride! ;-) Best of luck with his recovery and hope he's happy and hopping very soon

I agree with Tonibun :)

Bring them both into the house, the coolest room you can together. (Ideally, she should go with him to the vets for his surgery as being separated even for a short period of time can cause issues - mainly as he'll come home smelling different etc).
After the night, put them both back outside during the late morning provided your boy is eating & acting normally. Just monitor closely but he should be back to eating fairly normally the next day.

Thanks :) his wifebun is just over a year now, she was spayed back in March. She went with him for his pre op check but I didn't leave her with him. Should I take her when I pick him up or just reintroduce back at home?

I would leave your female at home, this is what I always do. Most rabbits are fine when you bring their mate back.

Thanks :) his wifebun is just over a year now, she was spayed back in March. She went with him for his pre op check but I didn't leave her with him. Should I take her when I pick him up or just reintroduce back at home?

I think either would be fine :)

I hope he recovers well. Please update when he's home :wave:

Help.... he's obviously done too much as he has developed a big haematoma in his left scrotum... Where he's testicle has been cut out. What is the treatment? Leaving for vets in 20 mins, they said he probably won't need to stay so what will they do? Ahhh

e2ebd21d451855b4f389235960962921.jpg

Awh bless him. They look sore.
They'll probably put him onto antibiotics & pain killers. Will check stitches & maybe give you cream to apply to help sooth "them"

Post vets- she just gave 1ml metacam and a bottle to go home with which is a bit pants as I've already got a bottle at home. She said the wound is still closed, looks like a blood vessel has bled but it feels solid so shouldn't get any bigger.

It does look sore, poor boy. I expect the Metacam will come in useful! I hope he heals very soon.

Post vets- she just gave 1ml metacam and a bottle to go home with which is a bit pants as I've already got a bottle at home. She said the wound is still closed, looks like a blood vessel has bled but it feels solid so shouldn't get any bigger.

It's not a matter of him having done too much. I have had rabbits develop haematoma even when on cage rest.

Hopefully the vet can sort it. I use alternative medicine for this, which works quickly and well. See what the vet will suggest for that. It needs something, to be sure :)

How rabbits are with pain I can't advise you. But after having my hernias done I had a pretty impressive scrotal haematoma, it wasnt painful at all just heavy for want of a better description. Every wound bleeds slightly, it is just a bit more obvious in his scrotum as the fluid follows gravity.
So your bunny should be fine unless he knocks them against something.
Just keep an eye on its size, its colour will follow all the rainbow from deep deep red to yellow as the days go on, and keep a check on the stitches.

How are things looking now Laura? x

869bb1f02c69c45670b1586df4ac984a.jpg

His wifey is looking after him :)
Scrotum looks slightly smaller, still bright purple but he doesn't seem bothered at all. Wound still looks clean and dry

19d6cd351227c20087d7f036b71e39be.jpg

Hello from my trio, Rosie, Roger and Bella. Have to be kept separate from the pair as they will fight badly

Back