• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! Perspex Shutters from Welfare Hutch Co

bunnymum85

Warren Scout
Hello,

Has anybody else made or purchased perspex shutters for the fronts of their hutches?
I'm thinking about it, as it was so cold this morning I'm thinking I can't really do without them now.

I'm purposing the same coverage, hutch snuggle, hutch cover, 13.5 tog duvet down the front but with shutters to try and keep the cold out.
Also going to move the hutch next to the house, in the hope that will help.

I really can't bring madam in, that's the worst part :(

I made my own DIY shutter using wood, screws, tarpaulin and staples. I made a wooden frame that fits inside the door recess and stapled tarpaulin around it. I used the old door catches to hold it in place and in winter I insulate with a scrap of silver bubblewrap insulation. You could always use clear PVC if you wanted to be able to see through it. The wood cost a few pounds from Wickes and I cut up an old torn tarpaulin so it was very cheap to make.

It stops the wind and rain blowing in and the rabbits have more space to hide. I leave the middle one open as that's where I hang their water bottle but I cover it over with tarpaulin at night and in bad weather.

4874c539f035d64bce8be55987f15e55.jpg

This is Foxy during the day, full cover and plastic down, across the front.
At night she has a 13.5 tog duvet, under the cover, behind the plastic and a rope tightly pulled to stop draughts.

Still worth getting shutters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to have kind made by scratch & newton, as it's an unusual size and they didn't do one off the shelf. They are okay, don't always seem the most robust but do the job :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a quick note to add - I ordered these shutters and after a few delays I received them this week and would recommend them. I did get a phone call apologising for the delay and a mysterious extra set of shutters in my delivery... 😊
They're so much smarter than my homemade attempts and are a great fit. Doris and Pepper seem to be enjoying being able to see out properly and still being warm and dry. Worth the money I would say!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Back