• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

They Are Soooo Frustrating

Christine662

Warren Scout
Hi. Frankie & Lilah who we adopted in July and bonded have a lovely 6 x 4 two tier hutch with 8 x 4 run attached. 3 weeks ago we added a 6 x 4 shiplap shed to their accommodation, access 24/7 via catflaps, and converted it with shelves a bedroom etc. To encourage them to use it I've been feeding them in the shed. They come in for that play for a while then disappear back into the run. It's been really cold here last couple of days. Water bowl in the run froze last night. Am worried as they only like to sit on a little mat in the run. I even tried removing the mat but they still stayed out. They don't use the bedroom upstairs in the hutch or in the shed. Will they be ok? Meant to get down to minus 7 tonight. Are they just not feeling the cold or are they daft. ☺ thanks

Christine

Could you provide them with some cardboard boxes stuffed with straw in the run? Its likely they're going into the shed or hutch in the middle of the night when its at its coldest and you're asleep.
Maybe you could hide food around their shed so they explore it thoroughly?

I would tempt them into the shed and can you close the cat flap so they have to stay inside? They will get used to this pretty soon then they will be more protected from the weather.

Hi. Thanks for replies. I've been out and put their pet carriers full of straw in the run. Also put an old quilt over the run under the usual tarp. I did think of shutting them in the shed but am in 2 minds as have read that it's best they have full access if possible. Never know what to do for the best. I bet they are totally oblivious to the cold and I'm fretting for nothing. It's my first winter as a bun mum☺🐰

Back