• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbitproofing. advice

Hc1

Mama Doe
Have moved house and need to rabbitproof garden. If I attach wire mesh to fence how deep would I need to make it. I am planning to provide a "diggy patch" to hopefully keep them from digging elsewhere. But how deep will a rabbit dig if they are determined?

My wire is about a foot deep, try to attach it on the outside of the fence if you can. My gardener used U shaped things which you hammer in. Rabbits can dig quite deep, long tunnels, maybe about a foot deep or more. It depends on why they are digging and how big the rabbit is.

I tend to go as deep as possible (although we have no wire for our garden as the girls aren't big diggers when they are out).

For their digging area, I'd probably try to go around 5ft... its unlikely they'll get that deep but you never know.

To stop them digging just under the fence you can go for a L shape so it covers the foot of so next to the fence. They can go long an deep if they start elsewhere though.

Thanks for the advice. This will really help me to stop any escape bid. I think she digs just because she really seems to enjoy it, rather than to escape, although if there was the slightest gap under a fence, she'd be off :lol:

We covered the whole of our run with mesh - and then turfed over it. It doesnt have to be the best mesh in the world - unlike the mesh on the actual urights - just good enough that they wont dig through it. When I say we did the whole run i am taking about 36ft by 30ft - and also a metere outside all round to stop foxes - that was a stronger mesh. its aong as much as down that counts. They tunnel deep - but need to get a starter . .

Back