• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Runaround tunnels, winter and foxes

Toffs and Pebbs

Warren Scout
Hi all, haven't been on in a while

I am going to get a tunnel to join my hutch to my run and I would like you guys to pick one and some accessories if necessary, I would prefer something thats safe from foxes, flexible so I can move my run and for two bunnies about 2 years old.

I need some help for winter because I'm very confused, I've looked and many people have said that rabbits are hardy and they will survive but some also say that they need a whole list of things(that I dont have) I dont want my rabbits being ill or cold this winter but I can't take them in. Whats your advice?

And foxes, we have seen fixes ever since we moved here and generally they havent seemed interested in my rabbits, but I always see the things that I dread to hear, my bunnies have died because of a fox. I would 100% love to keep my rabbits safe and i worry sometimes, I really need your advice to keep safe but give my rabbits at least day-night outside in a run, please help and by the way I live in Rushmere in Ipswich.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

People tend to over pamper their bunnies so you probably don't need everything you've read about - you need to be more careful if you live in an area that's particularly cold e.g. Scottish highland etc. or we have a bad winter, or if your rabbits are elderly or have health issues.

You want your hutch to be water proof, so check the roof is good and doesn't need any repairs. They need a snug around in the hutch (e.g. bed area) and should have extra bedding in winter eg straw. You want that area to stay above freezing. Covering the hutch may help with that - depends on the hutch, location in your garden and outside temp. If you find the wind blows the rain in, then a cover over the mesh area (living some ventilation) can help keep it dryer too.

People tend to over pamper their bunnies so you probably don't need everything you've read about - you need to be more careful if you live in an area that's particularly cold e.g. Scottish highland etc. or we have a bad winter, or if your rabbits are elderly or have health issues.

You want your hutch to be water proof, so check the roof is good and doesn't need any repairs. They need a snug around in the hutch (e.g. bed area) and should have extra bedding in winter eg straw. You want that area to stay above freezing. Covering the hutch may help with that - depends on the hutch, location in your garden and outside temp. If you find the wind blows the rain in, then a cover over the mesh area (living some ventilation) can help keep it dryer too.

Thanks Tamsin

I have a cover over the back top and sides in day and over front at night, I always give them extra straw and plenty of it in the bed room and the hutch is sheltered by two apple trees and near the hedge, the attached run gets wet and windy yet they still spend time there but it doesnt have a cover, hope that helps a bit.

Tarpaulin is great for sheltering from bitterly cold winds and rain, and for protecting against frost! As Tamsin says, it just keeps the hutch a wee bit higher temp than outside, which is what you need. Tons of bedding so they can be super comfortable. You can use the tarpaulin on the sides and back of the hutch too as extra protection.

If you know foxes visit the area please, please be super careful. We didn't have any foxes visiting at all, and yet my gorgeous bun was taken by a fox very recently - when the weather started to turn, as it happens. If they are visiting - it will be because they are interested in the rabbits. Bare in mind as the weather gets colder, they'll be more inclined to make use of 'easy prey' near human habitation as they get more desperate to find enough food. Cold weather = less prey for them. A fox nearby is a fox interested in rabbits etc and oh yes they will take them if they can, especially in winter months. xx

If you are wanting to move your run around, then you need to ensure that nothing can dig in or out of the run, either put it on concrete, slabs, or weldmesh under the turf if it is on grass. Also it will need to be level, and bolted down securely.

I use the clear tarpaulin with the white mesh thread through it to cover the run, that way they can still keep dry and warm when they go in the run. Like zoobec says if the run is on grass you need to be extra careful about foxes digging in and buns digging out, my run is on concrete flagstones. The runaround tunnels and connectors i have heard are brilliant and long lasting too.

I've seen everything and i will look into tarpaulin, but the problem is: I want to give them grass almost all the time yet I dont want foxes digging in so its either slabs or risk it with mesh. Is there a way that we can deter the foxes or maybe give them a substitute to the rabbits and where can I look for help as putting it up and finding it?? All help appreciated thanks xx

We have a fox prowling, its not been in our garden to my knowledge but it wouldnt have any difficulty getting in. Yesterday it took one of the cockerels from the free ranging chickens that are on the adjacent land, obviously I am hoping that free ranging food with be more attractive than my bunnies.

That sounds fine weather wise. Fox wise - make sure the mesh is well attached, the roof is fixed on and the sides are nice and heavy duty, also that you have bolts not twist catches.

For the run, staple the mesh to the bottom of it, then it moves with it :) Mesh is fine and you can go a bit wider spacing on the bottom as long as it's sturdy weld mesh still not chicken wire it should be just as secure as the sides.. more so as the ground helps. Make sure there is a hiding box in there too, as a fox prowling even if it can't get in can be scary.

Ok going to sort that and, has anyone got an opinion on what tunnel I should have, safeness is the priority and if its the mesh ones i will put a bottem to them????

When I had outdoor rabbits I used the black runaround tunnels and they are very sturdy, the connectors are strong too. After the rabbits had moved into a shed and I no longer used the hutch/runaround, my goats had a good go at jumping on the tunnels and trying to smash them off with their horns. They didn't cause any damage to it :)

If you have foxes, I wouldn't use the mesh tunnels. I personally don't think they are safe enough from a fox / dog / cat. The rabbit is essentially trapped in a small mesh box there if a predator comes and spooks them or tries to get them. The black tunnels give more physical protection from predators if they are properly secured.

Would it be helpful if i got some pictures of what protection they already have and stuff guys?????

Yes, a picture of your setup is always handy for ideas then we can see what you are working with :)

Sorry in advance the ground is dirt because they were digging so much that is why I'm really desperate to get them access to grass thanks.

9163dfa93397c3dfc6984b82b50cf284.jpg
e08cf4daf4cd32df8774cbc82ddf9868.jpg
e9a1b1a470ea0ea8925b5be3fb134323.jpg
https://vimeo.com/193723128 They have a blanket over the top sides and back of the hutch and a cover over all it, the locks are stiff even for me! And the wire bends in and out(dont know why that happens and dont know whether it is a problem or not) The rabbit you see mostly is Toffee she is sweet, she is the brown and white one and Pebbles is the Black and white one.
4f01bd3efccc99f9fff3a6bb72a05df6.jpg
bb60cc4b7962e8255918d0d167af5f7d.jpg
f880317bbb0db8277e1477981779f8de.jpg

Last edited:
Aww, they are very cute! So you've got another separate run you want to attach? How close do you it and do you move it around or keep it in one place?

The bend in the mesh is probably just it wasn't pulled tight enough when fitted - it's weld mesh though so that's good. How well is it attached on the inside? Some of the commercial ones don't have many staples. If you tug does it feel well attached to the wood? Also check the wood all around the base is still good as that can rot where it touches the ground - poke it with a pen or screwdriver and check it's not soft/breaking apart.

I've got a separate run and its a bit run down but planning to double weld mesh the thing and fix the weathered roof and i would prefer to move it around but it doesnt matter to me where it is really as long as there is grass there.

The cheapest way to link two runs is to put them next to each other and take the mesh out from the two adjacent sides - you might have to do a little adjusting if they are different heights. Then screw the two together. If you want them as separate runs so you can move one then a flexible tunnel works better - runaround or welfare hutch. They both offer 'doors' so you can close the tunnel off - some people shut them in the main hutch at night.

Back