• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

*update* thank you - URGENT - I think Winston is going into stasis

ImoT

Mama Doe
So i'm off work ill with the sickness bug and Winston has decided this is fantastic timing for an episode of stasis. He is belly pressing/can't get comfy and refusing all food. I've phoned the vets and my rabbit vet isn't available until 4.40pm. Another vet is back at 2pm but booked up with appointments but is going to try and give me a call.

I have Zantac and Metacam open from his last stasis episode, probably over a year ago now. Will they be okay to administer even though they have been open for so long?

Last edited:
I'm afraid I have no idea whether the medication is OK when It's been open for so long. Hopefully the other vet will phone you around 2pm and then you could ask. It might also be that they would want to examine him before you give anything, expecially pain relief as it could compromise their examination.

Has Winston had any output? I would try getting him to move around until you can discuss him swith the vet.

Sending him loads of vibes. I'm sorry also that you're unwell. No, not very good timing :(

I have Zantac and Metacam open from his last stasis episode, probably over a year ago now. Will they be okay to administer even though they have been open for so long?[/QUOTE]

Personally, I would give him the medication, as the Metacam may help with the pain in the meantime. I don't usually worry about how long medication has been opened for if bunny is in pain and I have nothing else to give. I think the urgency is to try and get the pain under control and to get eating going again. I hope Winston is soon feeling better and your sickness bug is short lived! Sending you both vibes. xxx

I don't think Winston has poo'd or wee'd since this morning. As i've been off work they've had the run of the house and Winston hasn't been back into the kitchen (where the litter tray is) at all. I've brought some hay and water into the living room in the hope he will munch on something/drink something. No luck so far.

Ninny whilst I do agree I want him out of pain I am a little concerned about out of date medicine making him worse or hinder the vet's examination. I think I will have to hold off a while on the medication and hope one of the practice vets phones soon.

I'm trying to encourage him to move around, all I get is a few hops and then he sits down again.

I don't know about the medication I'm afraid, but we had some success earlier in the year with wrapping our Peter in a blanket and giving him a gentle tummy massage, and giving him water through a dropper to make sure he didn't get dehydrated. He wasn't a massive fan of being held but a few hours later he was back to normal! Of course, there are different things that can cause stasis so we may have just been lucky. I'm sure your main concern will be to get him to the vets when you can.

If you have any Infacol you could try giving him some of this, if it's gas pains. Sometimes this will do the trick, but I usually give pain relief too, as I find the longer my bun is in pain the longer it takes with stasis to start recovering again. I try and nip it in the bud as soon as I discover the tummy pressing and refusing of food. I hope you can get a vet's appointment this afternoon and that Winston is soon on the mend.

Both Winston and his partner Edith have been admitted. The less rabbit savvy vet phoned and suggested I take both rabbits to the animal hospital where my rabbit vet was (animal hospital is part of the same practice) and my vet would see Winston in between surgeries. He said he could give him gut stimulant and painkillers and I could bring him home, but this happened last year and I just ended up taking him back the next day and he was admitted. I thought it would be less stressful for the bunnies and less faff for them to be admitted then and there, where they can both be monitored 24/7 even overnight.

Thank you everyone for your advice, I will keep you updated :)

I hope you get some positive news about Winston soon and that you also feel better yourself.

We have all had a horrid stomach bug this week, whilst nursing our poorly bun Sydney, a challenge to say the least x

Both Winston and his partner Edith have been admitted. The less rabbit savvy vet phoned and suggested I take both rabbits to the animal hospital where my rabbit vet was (animal hospital is part of the same practice) and my vet would see Winston in between surgeries. He said he could give him gut stimulant and painkillers and I could bring him home, but this happened last year and I just ended up taking him back the next day and he was admitted. I thought it would be less stressful for the bunnies and less faff for them to be admitted then and there, where they can both be monitored 24/7 even overnight.

Thank you everyone for your advice, I will keep you updated :)

Sorry ImoT I have only just seen this ..

Sending loads of vibes for your bunnies to be OK. They are in the best place :) xx Good luck xx

Sending lots more vibes for Winston. I hope the vet can make him feel a lot better very soon.

Thank you everyone for your kind words. Update from the vet...he's taken syringe food well and Edith is eating which is good.

For those of you who manage early stasis at home....what do you do about having metacam? Also what syringe foods do you use?

Thank you everyone for your kind words. Update from the vet...he's taken syringe food well and Edith is eating which is good.

For those of you who manage early stasis at home....what do you do about having metacam? Also what syringe foods do you use?

If the vet prescribes Metacam - then yes (I ring and check I can use what I have at home).

Syringe feeds - I use Ella's Kitchen organic baby foods and ground up pellets on the whole.

I have had great success with Infacol and gentle tummy rubs. There's lots of tips here:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

If the vet prescribes Metacam - then yes (I ring and check I can use what I have at home).

Syringe feeds - I use Ella's Kitchen organic baby foods and ground up pellets on the whole.

I have had great success with Infacol and gentle tummy rubs. There's lots of tips here:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Thank you MightyMax. The problem i had with my Metacam at home is it had been open for over a year so I couldn't really use it. How do you go about having an unopened in date bottle?

I think I will get some infacol and Ella's kitchen baby food.

I'm not sure I have the confidence to manage stasis on my own as I wouldn't have enough confidence to know that it definitely wasn't a blockage, if that makes sense! However it's good to have some syringe food and things on hand.

Thank you MightyMax. The problem i had with my Metacam at home is it had been open for over a year so I couldn't really use it. How do you go about having an unopened in date bottle?

I think I will get some infacol and Ella's kitchen baby food.

I'm not sure I have the confidence to manage stasis on my own as I wouldn't have enough confidence to know that it definitely wasn't a blockage, if that makes sense! However it's good to have some syringe food and things on hand.

Regards Metacam - my vet tells me that she has known people have opened bottles of Metacam for over 18 months that they use and are still effective! Sshhh ...

Yes you need a vet to diagnose it's not a blockage :)

Regards Metacam - my vet tells me that she has known people have opened bottles of Metacam for over 18 months that they use and are still effective! Sshhh ...

Yes you need a vet to diagnose it's not a blockage :)

Ooo interesting!!

The vet said he would call this morning to let me know how Winston is doing. I know it's only 9.30 but I'm getting impatient!

I phoned and spoke to a vet nurse. She said that Winston has been eating a bit this morning and has done a few small poos. My vet will phone me early afternoon when he's finished consulting. I'm hoping to bring them home later this afternoon.

I phoned and spoke to a vet nurse. She said that Winston has been eating a bit this morning and has done a few small poos. My vet will phone me early afternoon when he's finished consulting. I'm hoping to bring them home later this afternoon.

Baby steps progress :D

I hoe you'll be able to bring them home. They always do so much better at home xx

Thanks for your last PM and I am pleased to hear that Winston has a bit of input and output now. Hopefully he will continue to improve throughout the day.

I hope your poorly tummy has settled down now xx

Back