• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Changes to Living Arrangements

rowan.godfrey

Alpha Buck
Hi All,

Depending on job interviews next week, it is possible I will be moving back in with my parents for a time while I look for a new property. Thus there will potentially be some lifestyle changes for my rabbits.

Alexandra (Currently single Conti's) - will be housed in a shed as she is now, possibly with a partner if I can get her bonded when her nose injury has healed. I'm happy with this.

Nicholas (Currently single Nethie) - I am hoping to find a girlfriend for him shortly. He is an indoor rabbit which is where it gets a bit more tricky. My folks house is freshly decorated & recarpeted. Thus they are understandably slightly reluctant to have a full time free range rabbit which he is currently. A compromise would be something like a 140cm Ferplast cage or similar that he would be kept in (hopefully with new partner) and be allowed to free range at certain points (most likely Morning & evening). This would only be temporary (max likely to be 6 months).

Does this sound anything like appropriate? I don't want to give Nicholas up, but I will need to make some compromises to achieve that.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Personally I would ask my parents if I could set him up a pen instead of just a cage. I'd get an offcut of carpet or lino and put the pen on top of that so the new carpets don't get ruined.
Do you think that is something they would go along with? :)
Xx

Last edited:
As Roxy has suggested, I would try and negotiate a (meshed) puppy pen as it would give Nicholas more room 24 hours a day.
Good luck with your job interview[emoji106]

Thanks both! I have proposed a pen. Part of the problem is despite the fact my parents house is big, it's also stuffed with mostly antique furniture [emoji52]

To add to the cuteness factor of this thread, here's the little booger himself, taken just now, chilling in his litter tray:

f2779095e0177db9f40c42e8b14104f2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is so cute :love: I would propose a pen, with plywood underneath topped with non slip vynil to stop any damage to the carpet :thumb:

Thanks both! I have proposed a pen. Part of the problem is despite the fact my parents house is big, it's also stuffed with mostly antique furniture [emoji52]

To add to the cuteness factor of this thread, here's the little booger himself, taken just now, chilling in his litter tray:

f2779095e0177db9f40c42e8b14104f2.jpg

He looks tinier than his 1.35kg! My nethies are/were smaller than that - so cute :love:

I think, as others have suggested, a pen for Nicholas with some protection underneath would be fine. Are you going to take your lovely shed and aviary with you for Alexandra?

I really hope your interviews go well next week and you are offered something you are happy with :) What a lot of exciting changes for you and the rabbits :love:

I think, as others have suggested, a pen for Nicholas with some protection underneath would be fine. Are you going to take your lovely shed and aviary with you for Alexandra?

I really hope your interviews go well next week and you are offered something you are happy with :) What a lot of exciting changes for you and the rabbits :love:

To be honest Omi, the possibility of a move is a bit of a blindside. I had initially considered it & then discounted it. It is still a question mark because most jobs I am applying for mean staying where I am & one means moving home. Should I move I think the aviary will stay behind, to be replaced. The location I would be moving to is much more prone to foxes & I would need a more robust solution (at least 16 Gauge mesh). Initially Alexandra will live in a new potting shed, then when I find a new property a new shed & new aviary.

All went well I think thank you! I'm currently now staying with my folks potentially until Christmas. I have a second interview up here next week and then will drive up and down for other interviews as required. Suffice to say life isn't simple at the moment Omi. The rabbits are both happy enough here, & that's important to me [emoji4]

Oooh I hope Nicholas is on his best behaviour :) Hope also that the other interviews go well.

All went well I think thank you! I'm currently now staying with my folks potentially until Christmas. I have a second interview up here next week and then will drive up and down for other interviews as required. Suffice to say life isn't simple at the moment Omi. The rabbits are both happy enough here, & that's important to me [emoji4]

I am sure life isn't simple. Interviews, travelling, living with folks and *rabbits*!!

Hope all goes well at your next interview. Well done for getting a second one!

I should add, my life is vastly simpler than a lot of peoples, which I feel eternally thankful for, I'm just having a whinge [emoji3] I will have covered something in the region of a thousand miles of driving by the end of the coming week though lol. Nicholas is doing wonderfully thanks a Omi. Thanks MM, I reckon it's a 50:50 at this point. It would be so bad if my interviews on Wednesday & Thursday of the coming week weren't 100 miles or so apart [emoji19]

Back