• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lump On Female Rabbit Help

Nerual1318

New Kit
Hi All,

I've just noticed a rather large lump on my 6 year old bunny :(

She doesn't like to be picked up so I normally just let her roam around upstairs and do her own thing, however, she laid on her side today and i noticed something weird so picked her up and she has a lump the size of a grape on where her nipple is. It's a horrible colour and looks very sore :( She has been acting normally eating drinking and humping the poor male all week.

Anyone have any ideas what this could be? She isn't spayed as I've had her from being around 14 so by the time I actually knew things about rabbits i thought it was too late to spay her.

I'm going to take her to the vets tomorrow as we have one open near by 11-1 as I don't think there's any point taking her to out of hours to get charged an arm and a leg for them to basically cant do anything tonight.

I am fully prepared for the worst and although it will break my heart if I lose her I think I've given her a good 6 almost 7 years of life.

iukYM1

I know how your concern feels for her to be young. Its best to not consider the worst until diagnosed. I lost my rabbit aged one, to a week heart and now I'm left with just one. I would not wait for advice, because it sounds like whatever it is, it could be infected. My best advice would be to take her to the vets as soon as you can. Please do not worry, as it won't help, I know people say that all the time and you probably think 'How am I not going to worry', but try not to.

:)

Mia is correct that you want to wait for the diagnosis before thinking the worst. She could have mastitis, abscess, or a tumor. Many years ago I even had an unspayed female who would produce milk and become engourged without pregnancy/giving birth.

Hi All,

I've just noticed a rather large lump on my 6 year old bunny :(

She doesn't like to be picked up so I normally just let her roam around upstairs and do her own thing, however, she laid on her side today and i noticed something weird so picked her up and she has a lump the size of a grape on where her nipple is. It's a horrible colour and looks very sore :( She has been acting normally eating drinking and humping the poor male all week.

Anyone have any ideas what this could be? She isn't spayed as I've had her from being around 14 so by the time I actually knew things about rabbits i thought it was too late to spay her.

I'm going to take her to the vets tomorrow as we have one open near by 11-1 as I don't think there's any point taking her to out of hours to get charged an arm and a leg for them to basically cant do anything tonight.

I am fully prepared for the worst and although it will break my heart if I lose her I think I've given her a good 6 almost 7 years of life.

iukYM1

Hi Neural

I'm sorry to hear about your bunny, I can understand why you are so worried.

It could be a tumour, which is I guess what you fear, but it could also be an infected mammary gland. Your vet will know (are you happy they are knowledgeable with rabbits?). If there is any suspicion of anything untoward, they can take a biopsy and send it off, so you will know for sure what you're dealing with.

I'm glad you have a vet open on Sunday - I don't so that's a bonus :)

She has had a really good life with you, and it sounds like she has a lot of freedom as well.

Try not to worry - easy to say, I know. And good luck xx

Sending loads of vibes for your rabbit. I hope that the vet visit goes well this morning.

Back