• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Septrin dose

Lady Logamorph

Mama Doe
Hi Guys, does anyone have an idea of the Septrin(40mg/200mg per 5ml) dose per Kg for a rabbit with an eye infections that hasn't responded to abx eye drops (he also has some different eye drops but I can't pick these up until monday)

He weighs 3.5 kg and the reason I'm confused is the vet told me to give the dose 1.6ml once a day. I said that I'm sure the last time he had septrin it was more and twice a day? She then printed off a new label to say 1.6 ml twice a day just on my suggestion??? So I've just checked the last time he had septrin (the same strength) and it was in 2012 but his weight is pretty much the same as then and it says 2.44ml twice a day?

I looked at an old thread on here from 2005 and from Jane's response I worked out the 2.44ml twice a day seems the correct dose but it's a very old thread so wanted to double check if anything has changed with septrin dosage in that time.

So can anyone clarify the dose per kg.

Thanks

Hi. I haven't personally gave this medication to my rabbit, however if I were you I would feed 1.6 a day until you pick the other drops up in case it becomes dangerous. Or contact your vet tomorrow. :)

I gave him the 2.44ml dose in the end! But he had that dose last time so I figured it might be worse to under dose him on abx.
I am going to ring the vet in the morning though but they are emergency only appointments so you can't always get a response from a vet but will hopefully get an answer.

Alfie's on Septrin for ear base abscesses. He's about 1.6kg and the vet prescribed 1ml twice per day. The dose sounds low but I'd definitely check with the vet before changing it.

I am pretty sure I have used it on Cassie before but can't remember the dosage.

Is it the one that smells of banana as my vet said he thought they had stopped making it now.

Bunny babe, septrin is the banana one. They've stopped making it under that name I believe as my vet can no longer get it & neither could any of the local pharmacies. We're now using Co-Trimoxazole ..... it's exactly the same stuff/flavour, from the same pharmaceutical company, just much harder to spell lol. And more expensive!

Thanks for your responses guys. I got through to the vet the next morning and they gave me the correct dose which was 2.2ml twice a day. His eye is much improved whilst being on the septrin so just hope it completely clears it up.

Thanks for your responses guys. I got through to the vet the next morning and they gave me the correct dose which was 2.2ml twice a day. His eye is much improved whilst being on the septrin so just hope it completely clears it up.

Good luck :)

I haven't seen you posting in a while, I hope all is well with you and yours?

Thanks for the PM and I hope that Bun's eye will soon be 100% better x

Back