• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When should i worry about outdoor tempurature?

Bicceh

New Kit
Hi There!

I'm getting a little worried about the outdoor temperature for my rabbits so am seeking advice.

A little bit of info. They're currently both two years old. Two males who are inseparable and have spent their entire lives as outdoor bunnies. Their winter coat is coming through, and have never had any issues with the cold (i could just be worrying too much) however i see next week is showing signs of numbers as low as -5, so i was wondering if there's a 'warning level' where i should think about bringing them in for the night.

They currently in a 2 tier hutch (the one here: http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/bluebell-hideaway-(in-store)) and have their house full of hay so they can use that if needed. They're not using it at the moment, and prefer to sit right against the outdoor wire downstairs in the cold! But i guess that's their choice. The hutch is down the side of the house, so not susceptible to wind

I don't have heat pads or anything as i've read some bad stuff, just lots of hay and we've stapled down a full duvet + bubblewrap around the whole of the outside just to try and keep it a bit insulated.

Any advice greatly appreciated....and here's a pic of them (they're big!)

11062919_10156322602530657_9112073378843413983_n.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, I'm new to the forum much like you. Welcome! I'm having the same sort of issue with my rabbit. She has a heat pad for outside, and an insulated shed, but its still cold for her. May I ask, what bad things did you read about heat pads? I heard that bringing rabbits in at night can give them respiratory troubles as there's an extreme change in temperature, but I've been bringing mine in at night until I can find a solution as I feel its just cruel to leave her out. I also think that if I leave her out in the cold then it might do more damage. However, I might just be paranoid as I lost a rabbit a few weeks ago, she was only one and I found her outside of her bed by the wire (Still inside the hutch of course though).

I hope this sorta helped. :) -Great picture!

Hi, I'm new to the forum much like you. Welcome! I'm having the same sort of issue with my rabbit. She has a heat pad for outside, and an insulated shed, but its still cold for her. May I ask, what bad things did you read about heat pads? I heard that bringing rabbits in at night can give them respiratory troubles as there's an extreme change in temperature, but I've been bringing mine in at night until I can find a solution as I feel its just cruel to leave her out. I also think that if I leave her out in the cold then it might do more damage. However, I might just be paranoid as I lost a rabbit a few weeks ago, she was only one and I found her outside of her bed by the wire (Still inside the hutch of course though).

I hope this sorta helped. :) -Great picture!

I've heard several things about them possibly leaking and or going wrong - but there's no proof just reviews. Still, enough to put me off them!

Yes bringing them in / out repeatedly is dangerous as they lack the ability to adjust their body temperature. So constant changes can be fatal. Their first winter (when they were 6 months) they survived just in the hutch in a worse location, but i'm worried about this winter

Lovely bunnies! Very jealous of that cuddle :lol:

Where about are you? We're in Yorkshire and I've had a few rabbits over the years, all of which have been outside through the whole of winter. I'm sure one winter temperatures got down to about -10 overnight and Sonic was fine, always has been. He even likes to sit in the snow instead of snuggling in his hay! I give him more straw and hay over winter, but he always kicks it out, obviously he's adamant he's warm enough!

I wouldn't worry too much, but I know a lot of people on here use snugglesafe heat pads amongst other things, so they might be able to provide you with options rather than reassurance :wave:

Ah. Our rabbits seem to be of the same age. I'm considering just keeping mine in up till Jan/Feb. My brother is In all day so ill leave him to bunny-sit! Lol!

Lovely bunnies! Very jealous of that cuddle :lol:

Where about are you? We're in Yorkshire and I've had a few rabbits over the years, all of which have been outside through the whole of winter. I'm sure one winter temperatures got down to about -10 overnight and Sonic was fine, always has been. He even likes to sit in the snow instead of snuggling in his hay! I give him more straw and hay over winter, but he always kicks it out, obviously he's adamant he's warm enough!

I wouldn't worry too much, but I know a lot of people on here use snugglesafe heat pads amongst other things, so they might be able to provide you with options rather than reassurance :wave:

I'm down in Reading so a bit warmer than up there! Mine are the same as yours, no matter how i try to help them they just lounge downstairs not caring about how how cold it is!

It's because we love them we worry. I do every winter I want to bring them all in! But the truth is they are really fine outside and if you do bring them in, you are possibly looking at May before they can go back outside. The only thing I wouldn't like is if the rabbit chooses to sit on cold damp ground 24/7. I would insist on them being in the warmer part of the hutch overnight. :thumb:

We put big furry blankets in Bertie & Bella's hutch (dog blankets, I think, bought in Wilkos), smaller pet blankets (which gets thrown out every night) and two snugglesafes. They are *very* furry so should be nice and snug, but I still worry x

I make sure mine have plenty of straw and that their hutch isnt wet. They eat more hay etc when its cold so we go out late at night to top them up. Their water was frozen this morning. My pair were in their hutch even though had the option of being in their run too and my single bun was still in her bedroom and she normally is sat by the mesh. I opened the door to check she was ok and she ran straight down wanting to be let into the garden.

As a child we brought my rabbit into the garage in her hutch and she died (think there must have been a draft :( ) so mine are staying out but I am strict on checking bedding,food etc x

Rabbits are a lot hardier than we give them credit for. Two rabbits will snuggle together and stay quite warm and with the cover and extra bedding they should be fine so I wouldn't worry, especially as they're in good health. My rabbits are getting older now and are still outside and they also prefer to sit in the run rather than in the nice warm hutch!

Thanks for the replies - Makes me feel a little better about leaving them out.

I usually check them during the night to be safe, so i'll be doing it again this week!

Would you give them more food as its colder..... My two have unlimited hay so it would be extra pellets???

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Back