• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Kidney failure - I'm so sad :-( U/D He's still going strong!!

ShivyRex

Mama Doe
Evening all

Not posted here for quite a while. My sig is hugely out of date - currently have two cats (6years) and two buns Summer (approx 7/8yrs) and Buddy (approx 4yrs).

I adopted Buddy about 8 months ago from a rescue. He'd been there 18 months as he presented so timid - I couldn't leave him there. Brought him home, bonded him with summer, got him eating hay after starting out as a fussy bun on excel and he has just turned into the most wonderful bun! Always getting under my feet - comes to me when called - he really trusts me now.

When I got him home I noticed he pee'd A LOT and instantly thought 'kidneys'. Took him to my amazing vet 6 months ago for RVHD2 vacc and she couldn't see anything obvious but noted the pee and drinking. Since that time he's lost weight rapidly despite great appetite for hay, pellets & veg. Today he went for his myxi vacc /rvhd1 booster and my vet was shocked at his weight loss and said his kidneys were tiny and that he has kidney failure. :cry:

I'm so gutted because he is such a lovely in and gets on great with Summer.

My vet has given me some kidney meds not really licensed for rabbits but it's something she suggested after consulting her dog earred copy of FHB book. Need to give this a go for two weeks, try and get wee sample to check he's not diabetic and if not she will review and give him some anabolic steroids. Will also have his RVHD2 booster as it's rife this way at the moment.

I trust her completely so not questioning the treatment but just wondering if anyone had a bun with kidney trouble treated before? This approach is somewhat experimental but it's that or nothing.

I have their new custom made bunny kennel arriving in 3 weeks and I want him to enjoy that a bit so hoping it will buy him some time :(

Thanks for reading :)

Last edited:
I'm sorry this has happened. I don't have any experience to share but I hope someone can give you advice.

I'm so sorry :cry: I don't have any experience of it in rabbits, so I can't advise but want to send vibes xx

Evening all

Not posted here for quite a while. My sig is hugely out of date - currently have two cats (6years) and two buns Summer (approx 7/8yrs) and Buddy (approx 4yrs).

I adopted Buddy about 8 months ago from a rescue. He'd been there 18 months as he presented so timid - I couldn't leave him there. Brought him home, bonded him with summer, got him eating hay after starting out as a fussy bun on excel and he has just turned into the most wonderful bun! Always getting under my feet - comes to me when called - he really trusts me now.

When I got him home I noticed he pee'd A LOT and instantly thought 'kidneys'. Took him to my amazing vet 6 months ago for RVHD2 vacc and she couldn't see anything obvious but noted the pee and drinking. Since that time he's lost weight rapidly despite great appetite for hay, pellets & veg. Today he went for his myxi vacc /rvhd1 booster and my vet was shocked at his weight loss and said his kidneys were tiny and that he has kidney failure. :cry:

I'm so gutted because he is such a lovely in and gets on great with Summer.

My vet has given me some kidney meds not really licensed for rabbits but it's something she suggested after consulting her dog earred copy of FHB book. Need to give this a go for two weeks, try and get wee sample to check he's not diabetic and if not she will review and give him some anabolic steroids. Will also have his RVHD2 booster as it's rife this way at the moment.

I trust her completely so not questioning the treatment but just wondering if anyone had a bun with kidney trouble treated before? This approach is somewhat experimental but it's that or nothing.

I have their new custom made bunny kennel arriving in 3 weeks and I want him to enjoy that a bit so hoping it will buy him some time :(

Thanks for reading :)

Hi there

I am sorry to hear about Buddy. *BUT* you don't mention if your vet actually did a full blood profile which showed the kidneys not working? I have known (often) bunnies with small kidneys but blood tested showed no kidney failure, and they never went on to develop kidney failure.

I don't know what drugs your vet is using - you suggest it's an experimental approach - Fortekor is often used, combined with anabolic steroids and vit B injections. Also, sub-Q fluids regularly (I do them at home where necessary) are indicated.

I wish Buddy a long and healthy life! :D

Thank you very much for your responses. I really appreciate it and gives me something to cnsider. It's always hard isn't it as I don't want to 'tell' my vet what to do when I have no medical understanding but it's always helpful to check practice and knowledge with the frontline experts so to speak - fellow bunny owners.

No she hasn't run any bloods. She didn't rule it out but thought it wasn't likely to change to the treatment and she's pretty convinced it's kidney failure on the basis of his rapid weight loss, the amount of water he is drinking and peeing. She has given me benazepet (which I think is similar/another name for the above drug you mention) to use over the next 2 weeks then will try a steroid if he's found not to have diabetes following provision of a pee sample (should be interesting!)

I do have confidence in my vet and her interpretation of the clicnical signs are kidney. He has not other growths and his teeth are fine so it's the only thing she atttibutes his significant weight loss, excessive drinking, peeing so I do understand when she says to me that bloods are unlikely to change the course of treatment she is considering. Not sure if bloods can indicate the extent of the damage though and whether this is palliative treatment and how long that is likely to be.

Thank you again for you experience and support. It really does help.

Shiv

Thank you very much for your responses. I really appreciate it and gives me something to cnsider. It's always hard isn't it as I don't want to 'tell' my vet what to do when I have no medical understanding but it's always helpful to check practice and knowledge with the frontline experts so to speak - fellow bunny owners.

No she hasn't run any bloods. She didn't rule it out but thought it wasn't likely to change to the treatment and she's pretty convinced it's kidney failure on the basis of his rapid weight loss, the amount of water he is drinking and peeing. She has given me benazepet (which I think is similar/another name for the above drug you mention) to use over the next 2 weeks then will try a steroid if he's found not to have diabetes following provision of a pee sample (should be interesting!)

I do have confidence in my vet and her interpretation of the clicnical signs are kidney. He has not other growths and his teeth are fine so it's the only thing she atttibutes his significant weight loss, excessive drinking, peeing so I do understand when she says to me that bloods are unlikely to change the course of treatment she is considering. Not sure if bloods can indicate the extent of the damage though and whether this is palliative treatment and how long that is likely to be.

Thank you again for you experience and support. It really does help.

Shiv

You're welcome Shiv :)

I only know from my own experience that I was worried sick about a rabbit recently with all the symptoms you describe and both myself and the vet were sure it was kidney failure. We were both delighted that it showed not to be on blood results. This may not be the same for you, but try not to worry too much and I'm pleased you have ann excellent vet who you have confidence in.

Best of luck x

My bun was like this too and we thought he had kidney failure, luckily it turned out it was a bad infection and he is fine now after weeks of antibiotics. Plus his weight is going back up again too. I really hope the best for your bun. xxxxxxxx Loads of vibes sent.

My rabbit Fudge was diagnosed with kidney failure by FHB - she ran blood profiles though.
She lost about 500g but then settled at that lower weight. She did pretty much completely lose her litter training too.
But she lived for a long time - I think almost 2 years after diagnosis. She had more bloods taken about a year after and she hadn't significantly worsened, though her kidneys had got smaller.
Interestingly FHB advised against Fortekor for her - I can't remember the exact reasons now, but it was along the lines of dosages being too small to have any impact, and that increasing them so they might actually work would actually be harmful.

Thank you all. I really appreciate the vibes.

MightyMax - I am going to email my vet before we see eachother again with some of the things you have said and some info I have received from others. I think I will ask for some bloods to be taken - I guess at least we know what we're dealing with then.

Esupi - that's helpful to know. Did you bunny survive with no medication at all? Buddy has lost about half his body weight in 6 months - the majority of it probably in the last 4-6 weeks and I am quite worried about the cold weather coming though Summer is there and they have bedding and will have a snuggle safe on the colder nights.

I guess its still a bit of a waiting game. He is still happy in himself and will do anything for food so he's still a greedy monster - I'm glad his amazing character is still there.

ill keep you posted!

MightyMax - I am going to email my vet before we see eachother again with some of the things you have said and some info I have received from others. I think I will ask for some bloods to be taken - I guess at least we know what we're dealing with then.

Esupi - that's helpful to know. Did you bunny survive with no medication at all? Buddy has lost about half his body weight in 6 months - the majority of it probably in the last 4-6 weeks and I am quite worried about the cold weather coming though Summer is there and they have bedding and will have a snuggle safe on the colder nights.

I guess its still a bit of a waiting game. He is still happy in himself and will do anything for food so he's still a greedy monster - I'm glad his amazing character is still there.

ill keep you posted!

Yes - no medication. I changed her diet - almost cut pellets out completely and switched to lots of forage. I don't know whether that really had an impact or not to be honest. I'm certain her kidney failure was caused by exposure some years earlier, and in her last year she had odd days where she would have head tilt and nystagmus and then be fine again. So she would be on and off Panacur during that time. My understanding is that the deterioration is different for every rabbit though.
We also discussed fluid therapy for Fudge towards the end, but decided against it as I didn't feel it would be fair to put her through that much stress for what would likely have been limited extra time.

ill keep you posted!

See what your vet thinks of the idea. She may think it's a waste of money. I felt it was money well spent as it put my mind at rest of one more thing to worry about :)

Day by day isn't it really .. Quality of life and what they get out of it moment by moment .. Glad he's still feeling greedy :D

Evening all

Well since my original post in November I am pleased to say that Buddy is doing really well! I love my vet - she's never given up on him and believed in the treatment available to him.

He has been on Benazepet and weekly steroid injections since December and he's put on 0.8kg making him 2.1kg and back to almost his normal weight. I have been injecting him myself which was a bit scary at first but he is good as gold. I am so glad he is feeling better. Who knows what the future lies for buddy but I do thank you all for your help and support when I was almost resigned to the worst at the beginning over two months ago!

Anyway just wanted to give an update. Here is a pic of Buddy looking for his breakfast!!

IMG_4198[1] by Siobhan OSullivan, on Flickr

Last edited:
Didn't see your original thread at the time, but great news to hear that Buddy is doing so well :D

Evening all

Well since my original post in November I am pleased to say that Buddy is doing really well! I love my vet - she's never given up on him and believed in the treatment available to him.

He has been on Benazepet and weekly steroid injections since December and he's put on 0.8kg making him 2.1kg and back to almost his normal weight. I have been injecting him myself which was a bit scary at first but he is good as gold. I am so glad he is feeling better. Who knows what the future lies for buddy but I do thank you all for your help and support when I was almost resigned to the worst at the beginning over two months ago!

Anyway just wanted to give an update. Here is a pic of Buddy looking for his breakfast!!

IMG_4198[1] by Siobhan OSullivan, on Flickr

What an amazing update and a fantastic piccie of little Buddy :D

A good vet is just worth so much, and I'm glad you have one :)

He's had such a brilliant quality of life and you now know that miracles can and do happen.
We are always here to support you xx

Back