• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Self Mutilation

Herts47

New Kit
Hi

I've been a member for a while but have not posted for ages. If anyone has any advice on this I would be most grateful. My 3 month old rabbit, Emily, was free running in a room in my house (all my rabbits are house buns) with some other free roamers. When she came to get her food I noticed a horrible wound almost taking up the whole of her side. The remaining fur was not sticking either. I immediately took her to a vet who advised to put her down. She was very placid at this point and I thought she deserved a chance. Despite being told by the vet that the treatment would last months, she would be in pain, and it would be very expensive, I put my foot down and said I wanted to treat her.

The vet used laser treatment on her which was very successful and within 3 weeks she was back home and her wound had completely healed. I put her in a cage at that point as I had originally thought she had been attacked (which would have been unusual with my buns), and I wanted her to have some peace. She was doing brilliantly, and, although aggressive when she came back from the vets, and because she had to wear a buster collar which was then removed when she got home, she started to calm down and trust me. She loved her food and water and I gave her a mobile toy to play with (which she destroyed in minutes but liked to bat it like a cat when I pushed it gently towards her). I felt we were getting a nice bond between us.

10 days after this - on Monday morning just gone, I went to feed my buns and discovered she had chewed her side again without warning overnight. This time the wound wasn't as wide but it was so deep the muscle was showing and there was black congealed blood on her. Her little nose was red as well. There was no gunk in her cage so she must have eaten all the skin and blood. I was cross (but didn't shout) she had done this to herself.

i immediately took her to the vet and left her there for the vet to assess later on in the day and to call me with a treatment plan. At this stage I wasn't worried as I thought she would just have to be admitted again - even though she hated the vet. Unfortunately the vet called me later on and said she had to be put down as she would only do it again and again, was aggressive and went for the vet, and was in pain and "had had enough". She was so persuasive and said the treatment this time would take months (even though she said the same last time and it was only 3 weeks). In my high emotional state, and because she was telling me to, I agreed. The vet asked if i wanted to be there but I knew I would frighten little Emily with my crying etc, so I said no. I spoke to my daughter who is at college doing animal care, and she said she would hold Emily whilst she was being put to sleep, but would also be able to get a good idea if she was as stressed as the vet was making her out to be (she was very docile when I left her at the vets). My daughter phone the vets 10 minutes after I had put the phone down, but Emily had already been put to sleep.

The vet is one of the best rabbit vets around my area, but I'm shocked that they didn't give Emily a second chance, were adamant she needed to be put down, and they put her to sleep so quickly after the phone call to me.

I'm devastated and I think I made the wrong decision and should have either taken her to another vet who would have treated her, or insisted she was treated at least for a week so I could assess her after the week and see how she was then. I miss her so much and feel I've let her down as she defied the vet's original suggestion that she was put down and it would take months to heal her etc.

Has anyone else ever had a rabbit put down to self mutilation, and what would you have done in this circumstance? I never want to make the same mistake again.

I remember you posting a while back, and I thought you were a really lovely person :love:

I am horrified to hear your story and can only say how very very sorry I am that this has happened. I have had a rabbit who self mutilated and the treatment was certainly protracted, but there was never any question of PTS. Though it doesn't sound like it was as bad as Emily's case.

Here's a bit of info:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Mechanical/Mutilation/Selfmutilation.htm

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?348150-Rabbit-Self-Mutilation/page2

I hesitated before posting those links, as nothing will bring Emily back and you should forgive yourself.

Sending you loads of love and hugs. You did what you and the vet thought best at the time. Her case was extreme and I don't think you should further punish yourself by feeling you should've done any different.

Please stay with us and post again xx

I am so sorry to read about Emily. Fortunately I have never had to experience this. There must have been a reason for doing this but as the Vet said she may have continued to self-mutilate and it wouldn't have been a good life for her. I would think you and the Vet made the right decision.

Did the vet ever even suggest trying to get to the route of the problem? Your vet sounds very suspect.
Self mutilation is often a response to severe pain or stress. It does sound like she was an extreme case but personally, I would change vets immediately since the vet seemed very reluctant to treat her. Offering to put an animal down should be a very last resort and it may have been the case the second time but seems very strange for your vet to suggest this immediately and then put her down immediately after you put the phone down...there may be an explanation but I'd certainly want more info from your vet.

What vet do you use? Are you in the u.k?

Hi Mighty Max. I remember you from the last time I posted and also though you were very kind and supportive, plus gave great advice. I've often come on since and read posts for advice and guidance etc., but didn't post. I will certainly remain on here as I really like this forum.

Thanks for your supportive post on Emily's problem. I haven't read the links you've sent yet but will do. It's still very raw at the moment and I'm still shocked the vet put her down so quickly after the call. Emily hated the vets and wearing the buster collar, so was quite aggressive. The vet said that Emily went for her so I think that might have been why they wanted to put her down quickly. So sad, and I still think it was unnecessary.

Lots of love xx

Thank you Tonibun for your kind words and support. I still don't know if I made the right decision and I'm still very upset about it all. It was a week ago today and it still hurts as she could still be here with another vet maybe (or maybe not).

Hi Vegan Bunny. I use Nine Lives in Redbourne, Herts. This forum recommended these vets as they are rabbit savvy - and they are. This particular vet does seem to suggest putting an animal down quite quickly. My hamster, Daphne, had a cancerous growth and this vet said to put her down but Daphne was sprightly, eating and drinking well and climbing all over her cage at the time! I said no - only when I thought Daphne was suffering. I took Daphne to the vets again as the growth grew and I had another vet who agreed with me saying she was an old lady (she was 2.5), was moving around well etc., but if I thought she was suffering I could bring her in at the time. He agreed with me that it was better for her to pass away peacefully in her own home (cage), and she did indeed do this.

When I took Emily in the first time the same vet (the first vet) said to put her down then as it would take months of treatment and it wasn't fair to put her through it. Emily's wound cleared up in just under 3 weeks (the vets use laser). Last week was the 2nd time Emily was brought in, but she was afraid of the vets and the vet said she was aggressive. She also said Emily went for her, so I think that's the reason she was put down. By contrast, I have another rabbit, Zeus, who hurt his foot jumping from his shelf onto the cage floor and he chewed at it. He had successful treatment then chewed it again. The same vet treated him no problem and there was no mention of him being put down.

I know a foot is easier to treat than the wound that Emily had on her side, but even so. Zeus is really placid (although he too hates buster collars and being at the vets), whereas Emily was fiesty, and I think that's the difference. Why she had to be put down so quickly after the call I don't know, but can only guess that the vet had other appointments or something. If she had allowed us time to think, my daughter would have gone up there (she does animal care), and would have been able to see if Emily was as distressed as the vet said she was, and also spoken to the vet to discuss an alternative to being put down. Sadly, Emily didn't get that second chance.

I'm so proud of Emily for beating the odds the first time round when the vet wanted to put her down, but I should have given her that second chance as well and gone against what the vet was telling me. I was so emotional though and believed the vet in that Emily would have kept doing it and would have suffered.

I have 3 other buns who need their teeth burred (they go every month or so), but am dreading calling them again to book the appointment. I don't want to cheese them off by asking for another vet, but am not reading to see her yet as I'm emotional that this has all happened. Dilemma.....

Back