• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worried about my rabbits new behaviour

Ellis_Cara

New Kit
I've had my rabbit, Spud, a Netherlands Dwarf for just over a year now. He's been perfect. He's now toilet trained, sociable, friendly etc. The only thing remotely quierky about his was that he didn't like vegetables but that didn't worry me too much.

He's an indoor rabbit and to stop him getting bored he's out his hutch from 30 minutes to 4 Hours eveyday. He always used to seem happy. Until about 2 weeks ago he's started jumping back into his hutch. I don't know why he does it. He can't be out his hutch for more then 10 minutes before jumping back in. It doesn't matter if I'm in the room or not. If I shut his cage off as soon as I open it up again he'll jump back in.

He's not scared of me when he's out though and his body language is normal. If this happened 2 weeks after getting him I would say it was because he's lonely or scared but it has just started after over a year.

Any advice ?

Hi, and welcome to the forum :wave:

I'm not sure why there has been a change of behaviour, has there been any changes in the house such as new pets, new routine, change in flooring or cleaning chemicals?

One thing I would point out is that a rabbit shouldn't be shut in a hutch for any length of time, really they do need a lot of space available to them 24hrs a day as they are very active even at night, can you make an attached run out of puppy panels, or allow free range? The rwaf recommends a minimum of 6ftx2ft hutch with a permanently attached run of 8ftx6ft giving 60sqft of space. http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm

Oh my, I feel terrible. I've now opened his hutch so he has full roam of the room he's in (all things that could harm him are out of his reach)

We recently got a new dog but the behaviour started before that.

Even though he has full roam now I doubt he'll leave the hutch and he just seems to want to get back in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh my, I feel terrible. I've now opened his hutch so he has full roam of the room he's in (all things that could harm him are out of his reach)

We recently got a new dog but the behaviour started before that.

Even though he has full roam now I doubt he'll leave the hutch and he just seems to want to get back in there

Please don't feel terrible :cry: he's a very lucky bunny to have someone who cares for him like you do :thumb: Is he still eating ok?

Rabbits have very sharp senses so what might seem a little change to you can seem a big change to them - just something like a new bit of furniture or a weird noise from the heating coming on, or it might have been a one off thing that startled him like neighbours doing some DIY. It might also have made him a bit nervous where you closed him out of his hutch - to a bunny a hutch is the 'warren' where they run to safety if anything goes wrong so they feel nervous if they can't get back in.

I imagine that you'll find with the door open all the time he'll get brave and pop out in his own time when he feels comfortable. You could try using some cardboard boxes to make him a tunnel extension for coming out through with some entrances/exits so he can explore a bit further into the room and still hide easily. Other boxes around the room will help too - rabbits like lots of cover. Also scattering some food (e.g. part of his dinner) just outside the hutch might encourage him to venture out. Even if it's just long enough to eat the food it will build up his confidence and he'll gradually stay out longer, plus food makes good associations for bunnies.

It sounds like he is comfortable with you so you might also find your presence gives him confidence. If he will you could call him out of the hutch to get a treat and a stroke - let him go back in when he wants but again it just builds up his confidence.

Have you thought about the possibility of getting him a girlfriend (presuming he's neutered)? That can be a good confidence boost and great company - plus extra bunny cuddles for you!

Rabbits have very sharp senses so what might seem a little change to you can seem a big change to them - just something like a new bit of furniture or a weird noise from the heating coming on, or it might have been a one off thing that startled him like neighbours doing some DIY. It might also have made him a bit nervous where you closed him out of his hutch - to a bunny a hutch is the 'warren' where they run to safety if anything goes wrong so they feel nervous if they can't get back in.

I imagine that you'll find with the door open all the time he'll get brave and pop out in his own time when he feels comfortable. You could try using some cardboard boxes to make him a tunnel extension for coming out through with some entrances/exits so he can explore a bit further into the room and still hide easily. Other boxes around the room will help too - rabbits like lots of cover. Also scattering some food (e.g. part of his dinner) just outside the hutch might encourage him to venture out. Even if it's just long enough to eat the food it will build up his confidence and he'll gradually stay out longer, plus food makes good associations for bunnies.

It sounds like he is comfortable with you so you might also find your presence gives him confidence. If he will you could call him out of the hutch to get a treat and a stroke - let him go back in when he wants but again it just builds up his confidence.

Have you thought about the possibility of getting him a girlfriend (presuming he's neutered)? That can be a good confidence boost and great company - plus extra bunny cuddles for you!

Thank you for that advice! I'm feeling a lot happier about his situation as I was so upset at the thought of him being sad or distressed.

I've been meaning to get in neutered for the longest of times. I will enquire at the vets. I would love to get him a GF

Update:
Opened up his hutch more and he's getting brave exploring and sniffing!

Will get him neutered ASAP and will go on the search for a dwarf girlfriend!

I will be spending the next couple of days making it easier for him to get out of his hutch and finding boxes for him :)

What a lovely update. So glad it is going so well. Hope he sails through his neutering op and that you find a rescue near by that can help with bonding.

Aww, that's great to hear. Good thought on making it easier to go in/out - again that will make him more confident.

Hope the girlfriend search goes well - how exciting!

This is a lovely update. Its the best feeling in the world knowing your making your bun happy. The second best feeling is seeing two buns groom and cuddle each other then binky across the room. Im sure he knows you love him. Vibes for a safe neuter and the girlfriend hunt. xx

Back