• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Daisy is doing well :o)

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
Just wanted to share this with you :) today was the first day (I think!) since the 12th Oct that Daisy has not had an injection of anything!! I have been gradually reducing her metacam dose, she was on 1.5mg/kg at the maximum; now she is on 0.8mg/kg. Today I split it into two, and she has had the oral version, in her mashed banana :) she has been doing great the last few days, maybe because the weather has been bad and she didn't go out, so rested her legs... today was nice though, and this morning she was frolicking around the garden like a spring lamb!! :D I am a bit unsure though what to do for the best, as I do think she overdid it a little. She was only out about 15 mins, but was really skipping around, and tonight she isn't as good as she has been... I don't want to stop her going out as she loves it, but what would you do??

I am also now thinking that she has gotten used to having all of her metacam in a big once daily dose, and the half dose isn't doing it's job :( I just wanted to give her a break from being stabbed with a needle, as she is a bit scabby in places now, and her skin seems really tough. It's really difficult deciding what to do...

She's doing really well isn't she. I agree it's a lovely photo.

Maybe it's the two things combined i,e. the going out in the garden together with switching to the oral half-doses. I know if it were me, I wouldn't stop her going out in the garden if she likes it. I would consider that her quality of life was more important. Perhaps monitor her and when she goes out in the garden and therefore has increased pain, stick to the injections and when she's just resting indoors, try her with the oral half-doses.

It must be so difficult to judge the medication just right.

I don't have any advice but I would always consider quality of life the most important as Omi said. Lovely photo:love:

Just wanted to share this with you :) today was the first day (I think!) since the 12th Oct that Daisy has not had an injection of anything!! I have been gradually reducing her metacam dose, she was on 1.5mg/kg at the maximum; now she is on 0.8mg/kg. Today I split it into two, and she has had the oral version, in her mashed banana :) she has been doing great the last few days, maybe because the weather has been bad and she didn't go out, so rested her legs... today was nice though, and this morning she was frolicking around the garden like a spring lamb!! :D I am a bit unsure though what to do for the best, as I do think she overdid it a little. She was only out about 15 mins, but was really skipping around, and tonight she isn't as good as she has been... I don't want to stop her going out as she loves it, but what would you do??

What a lovely photo :love:

I would let her have a mad few minutes in the garden, as I believe rabbits doing what rabbits love is essential to their quality of life :)

When the weather is fine (as it often isn't these days) I think the sunshine and fresh air is very beneficial. I hope you can cope with the pain if you feel she overdid it a little. Guess unused muscles must get a little sore when they are used again, just like with us :)

Thanks everyone :) Daisy wasn't bad last night, just not quite as good as she had been! But she's been out again today, and is fine tonight :) second injection-free day! I'm so happy, and so proud of my Daisy
:love:

Back