• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice for Elderly Bun Please

hartleyhare

Warren Scout
Remington is around 8 1/2 years old I think,, based on the age I was given when I got him. Several months ago he started having problems with his back legs, which I thought might be spinal or arthritic in nature as I' very had a few elderly buns over the years like this. Had a vet visit to discuss options and we decided to try Cartrophen and Metacam. This initially worked well and restored 80/90% of Remmi's mobility. However, it was fairly short lived and stopped working after 3 months.

I did discuss an x-Ray with the vet but he said that x-rays are not the best way to diagnose spinal conditions ( they are not used to diagnose humans or cats/dogs anymore ) . He said an MRI is best way to confirm what we suspect might be going on. Confirmation is not actually going to change anything though as regards treatment . There is surgery available for cats and dogs with slipped discs but vet didn't think it was available for bunnies and in any case Remmi is very old to be undergoing something as invasive as that. And arthritis is treatable but not curable.

He is still on a high dose of Metacam but his mobility has continued to decline and most days he cannot walk. He also has breathing issues ( lung scarring from what vet believed was a pasturella flare up ). I thought he might have heart problem but vet said no. So, he wouldn't be a very good candidate for a G/A.

Anyway, I'm at the point where I'm thinking I should stop with Remmi. Although he is eating well and manages day to day with support from me I wonder if its unfair to keep him going. Thought I would ask here in case there is anything else we can try.

Sorry to hear your boy is struggling. I have a bun with spinal pain and chronic snuffles and have decided, after discussing with my vet, to treat the symptoms. In Honey's case, she can walk ok but would stop eating with the pain.

Have you tried Tramadol as well as the metacam? It helps Honey a lot.

Sending vibes for your little one.

I also had an elderly and arthritic bunny and found a gentle source of heat was always very welcome, as was accupuncture. I used an aluminium electric heat pad from Petnap as it was all chew-proof. She loved it and would sit on it all the time out of choice. I also found accupuncture helped briefly so that might be worth a try.

It's so lovely when people try their best for their little fluffs. He's lucky to have you xx

Would the two doses of pain relief not cause gut problems? I will ask Dave ( vet ) about it. It might help. He is not exhibiting usual bunny signs of pain but that doesn't mean he isn't in pain I guess. He eats well and tries to get around as best he can. I can tell he's frustrated his back end will not do what he wants it too. He is having 0.6mls metacam one day and 0.9mils every other day.

I tried Acupuncture on another bun and although he enjoyed his sessions it didn't help him. There isn't anyone up here who does it or I would certainly try it. The heat pad is a good idea. I have microwave heat pads for the hedgehogs, would that work? Rems is not a chewer. They might not be large enough though, but could use two under his vetbed?

Remington is around 8 1/2 years old I think,, based on the age I was given when I got him. Several months ago he started having problems with his back legs, which I thought might be spinal or arthritic in nature as I' very had a few elderly buns over the years like this. Had a vet visit to discuss options and we decided to try Cartrophen and Metacam. This initially worked well and restored 80/90% of Remmi's mobility. However, it was fairly short lived and stopped working after 3 months.

I did discuss an x-Ray with the vet but he said that x-rays are not the best way to diagnose spinal conditions ( they are not used to diagnose humans or cats/dogs anymore ) . He said an MRI is best way to confirm what we suspect might be going on. Confirmation is not actually going to change anything though as regards treatment . There is surgery available for cats and dogs with slipped discs but vet didn't think it was available for bunnies and in any case Remmi is very old to be undergoing something as invasive as that. And arthritis is treatable but not curable.

He is still on a high dose of Metacam but his mobility has continued to decline and most days he cannot walk. He also has breathing issues ( lung scarring from what vet believed was a pasturella flare up ). I thought he might have heart problem but vet said no. So, he wouldn't be a very good candidate for a G/A.

Anyway, I'm at the point where I'm thinking I should stop with Remmi. Although he is eating well and manages day to day with support from me I wonder if its unfair to keep him going. Thought I would ask here in case there is anything else we can try.

Hi there

I have found with elderly buns that Tramadol is far more effective than Metacam. The two can be used together safely, but obviously the more drugs the more potential side effects.

There may be something helpful for you here?

http://rabbit.org/rehabilitation-and-movement-therapy-for-your-rabbit/

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-8/quality-of-life.html

As Mackers has said, heat is wonderful for old bones. I also use 24/7 electric heated pads, and find one big enough for one (or even two) rabbits. The heat is very gentle and you can make the bed soft underneath for cushioning.

Good luck. My thoughts are with you and Remmi :)

Tramadol is on order. Vet was concerned that it might make the ataxia worse, but was agreeable to a trial period of treatment. Remmi is unable to walk, so I am dubious about its success. I have given him heat, either a microwave heat pad or a hot water bottle. Difficult to say if the heat is making any difference.

Thanks for the links MightyMax, interesting reading. Remmi answers yes to all 3 questions on quality of life . However, at the same time I can see that he is fed up with dragging a useless pair of back legs around. I discussed physio with vet when Theo was alive ( he had same problem with spine/ back legs ). Vet said it might make condition worse. He showed me the exercises, which we tried but it didn't help, so I stopped. Remmi is too frail for me to feel comfortable trying. When I pick him up and put him back down he immediately has to pee, so is there maybe something renal going on too? Or am I just pressing his bladder when handling him. I try not to lift him too often, but have to in order to give his meds.

Tramadol is on order. Vet was concerned that it might make the ataxia worse, but was agreeable to a trial period of treatment. Remmi is unable to walk, so I am dubious about its success. I have given him heat, either a microwave heat pad or a hot water bottle. Difficult to say if the heat is making any difference.

Thanks for the links MightyMax, interesting reading. Remmi answers yes to all 3 questions on quality of life . However, at the same time I can see that he is fed up with dragging a useless pair of back legs around. I discussed physio with vet when Theo was alive ( he had same problem with spine/ back legs ). Vet said it might make condition worse. He showed me the exercises, which we tried but it didn't help, so I stopped. Remmi is too frail for me to feel comfortable trying. When I pick him up and put him back down he immediately has to pee, so is there maybe something renal going on too? Or am I just pressing his bladder when handling him. I try not to lift him too often, but have to in order to give his meds.

You're welcome :)

I think you may be pressing on his bladder so that might explain the peeing.

It's a difficult one, isn't it? It's hard not to lose a sense of perspective when t's our own rabbits. I hope posting on the Forum helps you a bit.

Back