• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Home needed for Flemish Giants

Jaypot

Mama Doe
Hi all
Have been asked by my vet nurse :roll: if I wanted her two Flemish Giants - apparantly, her dogs are trying to attack them and have already destroyed her guinea pigs hutch and run :shock:
Thing is, I haven't got the room with having 25 buns already :oops:
I would love to have them but they are fit and well and it wouldn't be fair to squash 'em in :lol:
The buns are 13 months old, bonded, the male is castrated but the female is entire :roll:
They are not vaccinated :shock: I have never actually met a vet nurse yet who has her buns vaccinated :roll: I know that some must do but not any I have found :?
The male is a REW (Oh sigh, how I love them) :oops: and the female is a black and brown splodgy colour.
I would really like to get these buns rehomed as I am worried about the dogs getting to them - the piggies are now at the vets until something can be sorted out for them - personally, I would take them dogs for training along with the owner - they are acting like pack dogs :shock:
The buns are in the North Wales area.
PM me if you are interested. Thanks.
I would really love to have them - it's not fair - ah well :(

Tell her to get her dogs trained better....sorry I have 3 dogs 2 of whom are springers and they aref ine with my buns but it did takesome training. I know some dogs are worse than others , it would be intersting to find out what dogs they are and why can't she make a big pen that the dogs cannot jump. Who wrecked the guinea pig hutches the dogs or the rabbits?
If I was taking anymore i woulf have had them ...but lost one bun to EC and not having any more until I have a new shed and no buns os a least only one so I can get him checked...I also cannot afford anymore at the moment...just got 2 kittens.
I ham not having a go here just some suggestions.....if it comes across a nasty

hi,
i would love to take then on but have no room for them as 16 new hutches r being made but now big enought 4 flemish
iv always wanted a large pet bunny but cant just yet :cry:
a rew flemish quite a rare colour for then as iv only seen the steel coloured ones
i wish i could have them but just stuck for space
becky

Rexy bexy said:
rew flemish quite a rare colour for then as iv only seen the steel coloured ones

Flemish Giants in the UK are only Steel coloured... as the original ones were about 100 years ago.

Over on the Continent they were then bred in lots of different colours, but we didn't get them here until recently because of our quarantine laws.

So these will be Continental Flemish Giants, called either Continental Giants, or Vlaamse Reus (which is "Flemish Giant" in the Flemish language).

Or possibly they may be British Giants... a breed created here before the Continentals came over.

hmmm, I might know someone looking for a British Giant... just need to remember who and where :?

Tam

Noooooooo, too much temptation :lol: . I would love giant bunnies but have no room, with my 21 rescues here. I love REW bunnies :oops: .
I have a young border collie who is fantastic with my bunnies, just wants to lick them. However when she arrived at 8 weeks old she was a monkey for trying to nip the cats in the heel to try to round them up, as collies do :roll: . That could have been a big problem but I used The Dog Whisperer book. I followed her advice to stop any unwanted behaviour, within a week the rounding up had stopped with no fuss and she was a dream around the small animals. I recomend that book to all dog owners who have problems. Mind you it means putting in the effort of following the advice with no let up, but it does turn out well behaved dogs with gentle training. The problem is some people can't be bothered to put in the effort from day one :( .
Good luck with finding a home, let us know where they go :D .

Jaypot said:
They are not vaccinated :shock: I have never actually met a vet nurse yet who has her buns vaccinated :roll: I know that some must do but not any I have found :?

Just curious.... have you ever asked any veterinary professionals why they don't vaccinate? It would be interesting to know why, whether they have access to data about the vaccinations (or the risks of infections) that we don't!

This is going to sound cynical but I have often wondered whether the vaccinations are as necessary as vets would have us believe. I know that there is a large profit for vets in all vaccinations (I worked for a vet myself for a while once), and I know that the VHD & Myxi vaccines aren't 100% effective anyway... I also kept rabbits in the days when myxi vaccine was not available.

Does anyone have any links to data about the levels of myxi and VHD infection in domestic rabbits?

Pendragon said:
Jaypot said:

Just curious.... have you ever asked any veterinary professionals why they don't vaccinate? It would be interesting to know why, whether they have access to data about the vaccinations (or the risks of infections) that we don't!

This is going to sound cynical but I have often wondered whether the vaccinations are as necessary as vets would have us believe. I know that there is a large profit for vets in all vaccinations (I worked for a vet myself for a while once), and I know that the VHD & Myxi vaccines aren't 100% effective anyway... I also kept rabbits in the days when myxi vaccine was not available.

quote]

This was exactly my thought's when I read the post!

I know there is at least two bun's on the Tufty Fund fourm's who have Myxi and they have been vacinatted against it.

Louise

Myxi vaccinations aren't a guarentee but I believe they do offer some protection and that they also lesson the effects so the bun is more likely to survive if though do get it. As you say though it would be interesting to see if the vet nurse had any particular reason against vaccinations.

Tam

jabs

I have at the moment 15 bunnies of my own. The longest I have had them in my care is 5 years. They are all rescue buns and apart from 2 came to me at approx 2-3 yrs old. None of them have been vaccinated while in my care, mainly because I couldnt afford it and the orignisation needed, altho my vets have said they would visit me- at a price. I like to think I am very vigilant picking them up every day to check them over and I keep all hutches.bowl.etc.etc clean. Maybe I' , just lucky so far I hope it continues.
lynne

I'm a vet nurse an both of my buns are vaccinated, and all the other vets and nurses who I work with who have buns also vaccinate theirs. We have seen some pet buns die of myxi this year, it is rife by us at the moment.

Up to now these two haven't found a home :cry: The current owner rang up a zoo to see if they wanted them!!!! :shock: They said that they would take the female but not the male - they would have bred the female :shock:
The owner also rang the breeder who she got them from and he said he would take the female - this is just so sad and it's making me so angry!
I will find out more on Thursday but if there is a chance that they may end up getting split up or the female being taken for breeding then I will have to find some space here until they can find a forever home :cry:
People make me so angry - poor buns :cry:

Any chance of a photo? I will draw some extra attention to them on RR. There will be a home out there for the pair of them together we just need to find it :D

Tam

I know this isn't much help in rehoming the rabbits but i am a trainee vet nurse and both my buns are vaccinated against vhd and myxi. hope these buns find a home soon :D

Hi there, Please could you give me some further information about these bunnies..
1) How old are they?
2) Have they ever had any health problems, if so, what?.
Are they fit and in good condition at present?.
Are their teeth okay?.
Have they been insured/ are insured?
3) Have they been handled much?. Are they ammenable if for example I needed to pick them up and check their bottoms, syringe them with any medications etc?
4) What are they currently housed in? Indoors or outdoors?

Sorry for all the questions, but I may possibly know someone who could help, but I need to be sure all the details of the bunnies are fully presented first.
Thank you. :D

Back