• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I don't know what is wrong with my rabbit

Rita87

New Kit
I need advice please
My male rabbit is 10 months old , he is neutered ,dutch breed
he was acting a little weird the last few days ,not active as usual and not social ,until yesterday he started grinding his teeth loudly with rising his head up , I was terrified and I rushed him to the vet , she checked his teeth ,his eyes ,the body ,his poop and his ears and she said nothing appears wrong ,she gave me a pain killer and medicine for his stomach circulation to be active ,when we came back home he was refusing to eat so i started to give him food by syringe and I gave him medicine on time , today the grinding is a little bit less but I noticed that the corner of his eye is a bit reddish and his right eye is watery ,and his head is shaking sometimes ,and he is acting weird(jumping around and suddenly stops and become quiet like he wants to sleep )
few hours ago he started eating by his own , he is refusing to eat hay , but he ate the dry food that I was giving him earlier by the syringe ,and also a little bit of apple ,but he is refusing to drink water
I am so confused and worried ,what should I do :?:cry::cry:

Last edited:
Hello, and welcome to the forum.
First of all, (((hugs))) to you. It is always frightening when our rabbit companions seem off in some way. We've all been through it. I'm sorry your little one is having issues. Was his neuter recent? It could explain a few of his symptoms if so. If not, he may be experiencing gut stasis (which is why your vet would've given him the gut stimulant.) If he is moving around, then suddenly laying down, check to see if he's pressing his belly to the floor. This could be an indication of stomach discomfort. Did your vet do an xray or take blood samples to check for a blockage?

It could also be an ear infection which would explain the head shaking, or possibly even tooth root problems, since his eye is watering as well. These can grow up into the eye socket and cause discomfort. Both of these would discourage his eating. If these behaviours have not stopped he should be seen again.

If he should start circling or be unable to keep his balance, he needs to be seen immediately to treat for possible head tilt. I don't want to worry you further, it is just that the sooner he gets treatment for it the better his chances at recovery.

When was the last time he pee'd or poo'd? Is he taking any greens at all? That will give him some water content if he's not drinking. You can even leave the water on that you wash them in for a bit more.

Do you have a rabbit savvy vet? We are not vets here and cannot diagnose your rabbit. If your vet doesn't have exotics knowledge, it would be worth posting a new thread in either Health or General or Rabbit Chat asking for a vet nearby your location. You would need to provide this information, which is why I suggested General Chat as that is not easily seen except by forum members, if you are uneasy about posting such things online.

Hopefully someone will be along (although I know it is overnight there now) who can better advise you, but if you think there is something wrong happening, I would ring your vet for advice or take your bunny to a rabbit experienced vet. If he is looking very much worse or stops eating again even an out of hours service can help stabilize him.

Thinking of you and your bun and sending vibes for him to feel better soon. xx

Thank you so much for the advice and all the information you gave me ,it was really important and helpful for me to understand how to deal with the situation
and I am sorry for late response I was so busy with him
he is eating hay and drinking water again,not very active but he is moving around a little by little exploring his place
so happy seeing him gradually back to normal,it has been such hard days for me ,hope no one experience such thing
thank you so much again <3

Back