• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ileus - please send some vibes! UPDATE post 16 - fights!

MiniC

Wise Old Thumper
We had our two in for boarding last week, and picked them up late Thursday. It threw their eating routine yesterday, but one bunny has returned to normal today while the other has refused all food, even treats (both were at least taking treats yesterday).

Billy has been looking sicker as the day progresses, but we've been to the vets now and have our fibreplex and meal replacement, and he's had the injections.

To make it worse, he hates the vet so much that, despite being unwilling to move today, he vaulted over my head from the exam table in an attempt to escape. He jumped 7ft in the air and landed the other side of the room! So to add pain to, well, pain, he's now taken a chunk from his lip.

We've never had to care for a bunny through ileus, i'm very worried. Billy has barely just started to trust us, I hope hhe can pull through ok...

Last edited:
How worrying for you. The best advice I can give is to keep them quiet and stress free. I had a rabbit who flew off the table straight into the wall! I was so upset as I'd told the Vet not to pick him up but she did. Sending lots of recovery vibes for your 2.

Sending loads of vibes for Billy. I hope he responds to the medication and is soon eating again.

Oh no, poor Billy :( Sending lots of vibes for him, I really hope he is feeling better soon.

I agree with tonibun that it's better to give them as much peace and quiet as possible. I prefer to time the syringe feeds so they coincide with when I need to give meds, that way I don't have to disturb them as many times during the day.

We had our two in for boarding last week, and picked them up late Thursday. It threw their eating routine yesterday, but one bunny has returned to normal today while the other has refused all food, even treats (both were at least taking treats yesterday).

Billy has been looking sicker as the day progresses, but we've been to the vets now and have our fibreplex and meal replacement, and he's had the injections.

To make it worse, he hates the vet so much that, despite being unwilling to move today, he vaulted over my head from the exam table in an attempt to escape. He jumped 7ft in the air and landed the other side of the room! So to add pain to, well, pain, he's now taken a chunk from his lip.

We've never had to care for a bunny through ileus, i'm very worried. Billy has barely just started to trust us, I hope hhe can pull through ok...

Oh no MiniC :(

Sending loads of vibes for a well Billy xx

Thank-you - I'm trying not to pester him too much, but it's very hard. He keeps doing the bunny equivalent of tossing and turning.

I don't know how often to massage his belly - anyone know?

I think he's a lot better today. I woke up every 2 hours in the night - at 1am he was in the litter tray passing a big pile of squidgy mishapen poos, there was a bit of fur in there too.

At 3am, a few more poos on the carpet, and he looked nervous about what on earth I was doing up at 3am, which was more like Billy. I did scatter about some food pellets, but he hasn't touched them.

At 7am I gave him his next lot of medicine, and he gave up a normal Billy struggle, and when I brought him to the couch for a cuddle to warm him up, he jumped off and went away to nibble on some hay. He's not a cuddle bun, but I had cuddled with him last night because he was so cold. It was a sign how ill he was that he put up with it, and a sign he's improving today because he ran away.

Thanks for the vibes! Fingers crossed they continue to work!

You can get him through stasis fine, i know it's worrying but the meds really do help. I find eating is selective at first as the bunny comes out of it, the things that go down best with our stasis bunny are wet green leaves like dandelion, romaine, coriander, mint, followed by hay. Pellets usually the last thing back on the menu x

You can get him through stasis fine, i know it's worrying but the meds really do help. I find eating is selective at first as the bunny comes out of it, the things that go down best with our stasis bunny are wet green leaves like dandelion, romaine, coriander, mint, followed by hay. Pellets usually the last thing back on the menu x

Thanks for this info! I'll go fetch some herbs and forage.

I've never had to go through stasis before, I'm still new to all this bunny stuff - i'm so worried I'll get it wrong. Sending big thanks to everyone for their support, it is just nice to have the reassurance!

I think he's a lot better today. I woke up every 2 hours in the night - at 1am he was in the litter tray passing a big pile of squidgy mishapen poos, there was a bit of fur in there too.

At 3am, a few more poos on the carpet, and he looked nervous about what on earth I was doing up at 3am, which was more like Billy. I did scatter about some food pellets, but he hasn't touched them.

At 7am I gave him his next lot of medicine, and he gave up a normal Billy struggle, and when I brought him to the couch for a cuddle to warm him up, he jumped off and went away to nibble on some hay. He's not a cuddle bun, but I had cuddled with him last night because he was so cold. It was a sign how ill he was that he put up with it, and a sign he's improving today because he ran away.

Thanks for the vibes! Fingers crossed they continue to work!

Absolutely fingers crossed and more vibes being sent :love:

UPDATE - FIGHTING

Sorry all, more help needed! Billy is bonded to Poppy - we didn't separate them while Billy was sick. They usually sleep next to each other behind the couch, but last night I noticed poppy slept in their castle, and billy stayed under the coffee table. Today they've been fighting every time they're near each other.

I took both with me to the vet, but guess billy smells funny, or it's poppy trying to be dominant bun while billy is down?

Do I separate them? How long for? And how do I put them together again?

You will have to separate them if they keep fighting as this won't help your boy to get better. You haven't been giving him treats to try to get him eating and she has got angry? I don't suppose it's this, it must be as he is unwell and she is taking advantage. You will have to reintroduce them in a neutral area when he is better.

You will have to separate them if they keep fighting as this won't help your boy to get better. You haven't been giving him treats to try to get him eating and she has got angry? I don't suppose it's this, it must be as he is unwell and she is taking advantage. You will have to reintroduce them in a neutral area when he is better.

We've tended to give them both treats equally, but she has been stealing his, so we've given him extra after she steals his. Maybe she sees this as favouritism, or thinks the syringe food is special.

We've divided the living room in half with puppy panels for now, I will try reintroducing themin the bathroom when he's better. Hopefully just a couple of days...

Sending vibes that he improves further over night and that your buns become friends again.

After Will had been to the vets for GI stasis Nancy kept humping him and later gave him a good wash!

Just a thought, were you given pain relief to administer at home.xxxx

Back