• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Quick Qu about F10 disinfectant

jerseygirl

Warren Scout
I wasn't really sure where to post this, as it isn't really a Health query.

I recently bought the 200ml bottle of F10 SC and was about to mix some up in a spray bottle.
Im going to do the 1:500 ratio. 1 ml seems so little...Is it really this concentrated?

It wasn't cheap, so Im good with it being super strong and lasting me a good long while! :thumb:

Is it for use with the rabbits as I don't think it is suitable. Not sure but I seem to remember reading something. Hold on till someone else comes along.

Is it for use with the rabbits as I don't think it is suitable. Not sure but I seem to remember reading something. Hold on till someone else comes along.

I've always wondered if it's actually safe or not because I've heard of people using it to clean up cat/dog messes and thought it might be good for those times when vinegar or bleach won't really work (sometimes that happens in our house with the cats/dogs). I wouldn't use it for buns though because there's never yet been a time when I've needed to. Would be interested in knowing if it's truly safe though.

https://www.lllreptile.com/products/18709-f10sc-veterinary-disinfectant-34oz this seems to agree with the 1:500 ratio as a general disinfectant.

Yes, I'd be using for general cleaning, particularly of items I'd used if I'd had a sick rabbit. I guess i also got it because of the prevalance of calici and myxo here, though I don't know if they specifically kill off those viruses. Maybe Virkon S would have been better...
It's just if I happened to be in an area affected, I'd like to be able to treat my shoes - for peace of mind.

I'll take a look at the links and old threads, thank you!

I've used the insecticidal wound spray on rabbits with no side effects - it was the only thing that kept some of them alive (open wounds from jaw abscesses and high risk of fly strike). For disinfectant, I use either a bleach and washing up liquid solution for general use, or Virkon S powder where there is a greater contamination / infection risk.

F10 disinfectant is 1:500 dilution (2ml in 1 litre) for general use, or 1:250 for heavier contamination risks (4ml in 1 litre). The website also gives you contact times to kill specific micro-organisms. It is approved as a veterinary and agricultural disinfectant.

Contact times: http://www.meadowsah.com/home/f10-technical-information.html

If you use the insecticidal versions, DO NOT USE ON CATS or where a cat may come into contact with it.

I've been using it for somewhere between 1-2 months after reading on here that it was safe. It's expensive initially but goes a long way, a lot cheaper than the £5 for 500ml of Beaphar's Deep Clean that I was using before. I know what you mean, it really doesn't seem as though such a tiny amount diluted in that much water could possibly do anything. I think it's just a mental thing that you think it should be stronger.

Last edited:
I buy a large tub of Virkon and find it good for just about everything pet related. As long as it is diluted you don't have to rinse.

I wasn't really sure where to post this, as it isn't really a Health query.

I recently bought the 200ml bottle of F10 SC and was about to mix some up in a spray bottle.
Im going to do the 1:500 ratio. 1 ml seems so little...Is it really this concentrated?

It wasn't cheap, so Im good with it being super strong and lasting me a good long while! :thumb:

I would use Virkon.

I've been using it for somewhere between 1-2 months after reading on here that it was safe. It's expensive initially but goes a long way, a lot cheaper than the £5 for 500ml of Beaphar's Deep Clean that I was using before. I know what you mean, it really doesn't seem as though such a tiny amount diluted in that much water could possibly do anything. I think it's just a mental thing that you think it should be stronger.
Yes!
From reading some of the links provided in this thread, I now know the SC stands for super concentrated. :lol: I somehow missed that little detail when I ordered it.
I used virkon years ago. From memory, I couldn't use it in spray form as I seemed to react to something in it.

Why are people not thinking F10 is safe? It's been around for years and I've used it many times.

I've used F10 for years, it's safe and effective, yep it does seem like you dilute it a lot, but as you said it's super concentrated..

Back