• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bug is in hospital - UPDATE

Fellie

Warren Veteran
Poor wee lass has stasis - no gut sounds and tummy is very bloated :(. She was fine last night at midnight - gobbling down fenugreeks but not eating this morning.

She is still my feisty little Bug though - gave the vet a hard time :love:

She has lost weight though which I'm pleased about as all my buns were chubby chubsters last year and have been on a long slow diet (gradually cutting back on pellets and bad treats) so she is a healthy weight now.

Hopefully there is no blockage - they are doing x-rays - and that meds and critical care will get her going again.

Last edited:
Poor wee lass has stasis - no gut sounds and tummy is very bloated :(. She was fine last night at midnight - gobbling down fenugreeks but not eating this morning.

She is still my feisty little Bug though - gave the vet a hard time :love:

She has lost weight though which I'm pleased about as all my buns were chubby chubsters last year and have been on a long slow diet (gradually cutting back on pellets and bad treats) so she is a healthy weight now.

Hopefully there is no blockage - they are doing x-rays - and that meds and critical care will get her going again.

Oh Fellie, so sorry!

Sending loads of Bug vibes and strength for you :wave:

We're almost certain we traced our Ted's recurrent stasis back to fenugreek crunchies. His last 2 episodes were only 5 weeks apart. We cut them out completely and he's now been stasis free for 8 months. Nothing to lose trying it. Hope Bug is ok x

Thank you everyone:thumb:.

I've had a call from the vets - they had tried to do a conscious x-ray but Bug was a bit grumpy and kept biting the vet :lol: - I do love that girl :love:

So they did x-rays under sedation and no blockages thank goodness - but she does have dried impacted food in her tummy. Not sure why but it seems she hasn't been drinking enough :? - they always have water which is replaced 4 times a day so not sure what the monkey thinks she is up to.

She has had strong pain meds - vet says she is happily stoned right now :D - and is getting fluids and meds intravenously. She is staying in the vets over the weekend as she is a pickle to try and get meds into so she is better off there for now. The main thing for me is that she is not in pain anymore and is relaxed and getting the medicine she needs.

We're almost certain we traced our Ted's recurrent stasis back to fenugreek crunchies. His last 2 episodes were only 5 weeks apart. We cut them out completely and he's now been stasis free for 8 months. Nothing to lose trying it. Hope Bug is ok x

That is interesting - this is Bug's second bout of stasis in 2 months - the first one we caught very early on so was easier to fix. It could be the crunchies - as you say, no harm in cutting them out. Thank you for that.

I've had a call from the vets - they had tried to do a conscious x-ray but Bug was a bit grumpy and kept biting the vet :lol: - I do love that girl :love:

So they did x-rays under sedation and no blockages thank goodness - but she does have dried impacted food in her tummy. Not sure why but it seems she hasn't been drinking enough :? - they always have water which is replaced 4 times a day so not sure what the monkey thinks she is up to.

She has had strong pain meds - vet says she is happily stoned right now :D - and is getting fluids and meds intravenously. She is staying in the vets over the weekend as she is a pickle to try and get meds into so she is better off there for now. The main thing for me is that she is not in pain anymore and is relaxed and getting the medicine she needs.

I'm glad to hear that there is no full obstruction. IV fluids will be of great benefit to her to rehydrate the gut contents. Sending lots more vibes for her x

Sending Bug millions of vibes. I cut out crunchies for good early this year, Mr B has a much cleaner bottom, he still gets one now and then but on the whole a good improvement.

That is interesting - this is Bug's second bout of stasis in 2 months - the first one we caught very early on so was easier to fix. It could be the crunchies - as you say, no harm in cutting them out. Thank you for that.

It was someone on here that told us they were made of corn and that some bunnies can't tolerate it. I had had my suspicions for a couple of reasons and the fact he's been well for months now makes me as sure as I can be that they were causing the problem. We replaced them with lots of different dried forage, much more natural and the bunnies love it 😊

Sounds like Bug is now in the right place. Lots of vibes for a speedy recovery x

Really really glad there's no blockage Fellie :D

Fluids is absolutely the right thing, and I hope she makes a full recovery.

Back