• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Could indoor bunnies go in a garage for 1week with heater?

DemiS

Warren Veteran
Quick question, I'm going home for a week over christmas, there's no room in the house to keep the boys inside but there is a garage. If i bought a heater, kept it running 24/7 near the cage would that be sufficient? What type of heater would be best?

If that wouldn't be suitable I'll have to board them in Leeds but everywhere seems either a bit rubbish or really expensive :oops:

They would be fine :)

I used to use an oil filled electric radiator in the garage, they give off a good amount of heat.

A box/carry case full of hay will also keep them cosy :)

They would be fine :)

I used to use an oil filled electric radiator in the garage, they give off a good amount of heat.

A box/carry case full of hay will also keep them cosy :)

Thanks :) I just had a look online at heaters but there's a lot of scare stories about fires, do you think it'd be safe to keep it on 24/7 ?

As long as they have somewhere warm, dry and out of draughts, they should be fine. You will be there to keep an eye on them anyway. Snugglesafe heat pads are safe and easy - double them up and reheat twice a day. Maybe use carriers or boxes stuffed with hay as nest boxes - if they are off the ground (eg on bricks or wood runners) they will stay warmer. Unless it is a really damp and draughty garage, I wouldn't worry as long as the basics are covered and there are no ongoing health issues.

Thanks :) I just had a look online at heaters but there's a lot of scare stories about fires, do you think it'd be safe to keep it on 24/7 ?

I wouldn't leave it on 24/7, personally. I'd be paranoid especially with bits of hay floating around which could jam in the heater.
Could you buy a timer clock or something to have the heater come on at set hours when you're in?

I'd be so worried about a heater being left on. Make sure they have lots of hay and boxes with extra heat pads and they should be fine. You could even put in old blankets for them too. As the others have said just keep out of drafts and off the cold floor they will be fine.

In my honest opinion, I don't think going from a centrally heated house to a garage is a good idea. Garages drop below 0 just like a shed would, and they have cold concrete floors and many get damp.

If you could heat the garage sufficiently and keep them off the concrete floor it would be okay, but garages are usually draughty and uninsulated and lose a lot of heat. You can't have the radiator too close to the bunnies as they could get burnt (as it would need to be on full-blast), damage it, or cause a fire from the hay, so I'd say you would need multiple radiators. They would need to be thermostatic, I'd say you'd want house bunnies to be kept at 17c plus. Oil filled would be the safest in this instance I think, convector and fan are more of a fire risk and cost more to run when trying to heat a room. And you're looking at a LOT of electric - a 3kw heater will use 3kWh every hour if it is on full, that's about 42p every hour, plus the cost of the things themselves. And bear in mind putting the bunnies out there will likely trigger a moult too.

I can't believe that there is not a 4x3 little space somewhere in the house, next to the bed you'll be sleeping in perhaps, that they could fit in. A week in a dog crate isn't going to harm them, and in my opinion it'll be a lot less risky health-wise and you'll worry less. Didn't you buy an indoor cage for them? They could stay in that, it's only a week. Or take them to a trusted friend or other family member to watch them, and just give strict instructions on their care.

I don't mean to be negative, I just think it's better to be honest with you rather than hold my tongue and something bad happen.

Thanks for the help everyone. My mum changed her mind about the heaters due to fire risk.

There really isn't any space in my mums house, the kitchen and living room are tiny, and the beds fill up the rooms (not that I'd be able to sleep with them next to me anyway, at my house i can hear them from upstairs). Conservatory is the only place the cage would fit and I would have to use snugglesafe's instead of a heater

To be honest at home their cage is right up against the french windows which is probably the coldest place in the house

I've not found any boarding places near my mums that look suitable (they all seem to be booked/closed over christmas, really expensive or just really not suitable). I wanted to have them close but depending on wether or not she changes her mind about the conservatory i might just have to leave them in nottingham

Found a boarding place finally that will take the bunnies (and gerbils) but I'll have to leave them in Nottingham :(

Back