• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What size hutch ??

Claire

Young Bun
Hello everyone.

Advise pls !!! How big should an external hutch be if it's to house two medium sized rabbits? :?: I can't find a single pet shop that does hutches for two ! I've read in a book that a good size is approx 180 mm wide x 90 mm High x 90 mm deep, but I'm not sure if that's big enough. Neither myself or partner are very DIY minded so making one is not an option... although I guess I could find someone to make a hutch for me.

I currently have one rabbit but hope to add another addition to the family as soon as we can find the right hutch.

Claire :)

You could always buy two hutches, join them together securely side by side, make connecting tunnel or doorway and have a MEGA hutch! That way both buns could get away from each other if they wanted time out or you could have a removable divider for if you need to separate them at any time.

The measurements you are giving are tiny... :D I think you mean cm, not mm (180mm is less than 10 inches... :? ).

I think you should really be looking at a 5' hutch for two rabbits. They will of course still need outside exercise.

I dont know if they still do them but Wyvale garden centres used to stock huge hutches and runs whch were not badly priced.I have just made one for 2-3 bunnies and it is 7ft by 4 ft.They need to be able to lie out flat either way and be able to stand up.It really isnt that hard to make one,just make a large frame out of 2 by 2 wood and attach wood walls,i am not diy minded either but i even managed a door!!!

:lol: I did mean cm !!! doh.

We have a Wyvale garden centre near us so I'll go along over the weekend - thank you for that I never thought to visit a garden centre !

We have a very large rabbit proof garden which Ben loves to guard - he even chases off the birds the little rascal !

:p

I have seen an advertisement for these people in my local paper, they are local to me, but I expect they can deliver too. Their advert states that they provide bigger sized cages:

Better Bunny Homes Tel: 01803 875050

Unit 5a, Coventry Farm, Newton Rd, Torquay, Devon TQ2 7HX

Even better, why not have a look at these ones http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/donate/rabbithutch.asp , if you buy one from them, if you mention Rabbit Rehome in your order, Rabbitrehome get a commission which then goes towards rabbit welfare. Tamsin has managed to raise quite a lot of money this way and last time many rescue centres benefitted from being sent a selection of rabbity toys (including CARROT :D ). I promise Tamsin, I'll get the photos for you.

YOu could also contact www.happyhutch.co.uk as they will make one to your specifications, and I believe Lizzie can vouch for their excellent quality as she has two bunnies, two wonderful bunnies I hasten to add, living in one of HH hutches at the moment.

annie

Agree with lazylops - the Happy Hutch co do some fab hutches. I have a split level 5' by 2' by 2' affair for my two medium buns and they do utilise all of the space - lots of room for games of all description! Drawback may be that they are quite expensive - but SO worth it if your bunnies live outside and do not have the luxury of an indoor pad!

As tinymitten has said Happy hutch can be a little on the expensive size, but I think where the welfare of the bunny is concerned you can't really compromise on cost. Also, these hutches are very well made, so will probably last you forever. :D

I always look on it this way:

Break down the cost of a hutch and compare it to how many days use you get out of it. ie. A hutch at say £120, it lasts 120 days, that's £1 a day, if it lasts for 240 days, that's 50p a day etc.

Also, remember that the bun has to 'live' in it for anything up to 8 years or more, so the biggest and best money can buy would be ideal.

Don't be grippit when it comes to the bun you love! :lol:

Hi all,

I don't mind how much I spend on a new hutch as long as my bunny has plenty of room. It makes me very sad to see the size of hutches available in the pet shops, but you've given me some great tips and helpful web address. I think converting a shed or a childrens playhouse (I'll remove the glass and replace with wire mesh) is a great idea. Just want to get the new home arranged ASAP so I get on a new companion for Ben. Off to the garden centre this evening :D

I've called a couple of local rescue centres regarding help with 'Bonding' Ben with a female, everyone has been really helpful so I just need to get the ball rolling. :D

This really is a fab web site.

It is really worth considering a shed......you don't getwet in winter...they have more space and the feeling of space over their heads and you can attach a run to the side if you make a porthole......they are generally cheaper for the size than you would pay for a hutch and you can make it fum for them inside and put a mesh door on aswell as the regular door

Pets at home have brought out a very nice and large hutch,it has only been in stock for 1 week but it's a super size compared to what they used to sell as rabbit hutches.

Back