• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flooring dilema sore hocks

shadow05

Mama Doe
Hiya guys been a long time, my poor boys feet are bad again. They did get better for a short time with some changes made to his living arrangements but for some reason its got bad again.

Anyways ive finally been given permission to set him up in a pen in his own room by my mom. The problem im having is that i dont know what to use for him. He use to be toilet trained but due to problems in past with his feet and kidneys/bladders i havent been keeping on top of that with him as i had to cover the whole of his cage floor in bedding/litter.

I also know about the wood shavings being bad hes going to be changed over to megazorb with this move as well.

My biggest problem with the flooring is that scooter is a fairly difficult bunny to house because i cant use certain stuff with him. He either would destroy it and possible kill himself process or he would move/dig it up.

Ive tried puppy pads and which for him if he wudnt destroy wud be best but its a case of disguising them well enought so that he doesnt shred them and eat them.

I havent tried vet bedding yet but im interested in giving it a shot but i think he wud pee all over and try and eat which isnt good.

I would just go all natural and just have it as megazorb and straw but the problem is that it has to stay in the pen and there has to be as little smell as possible. If im using a puppy play pen the straw will just get through the bars and all over floor which will make my mom angry with me and she would ban me from keeping him in there anymore.

So id have to find a way of blocking the lower bars without using anything like wood as it wud be hard and very pricely for me to do and get a hold of.

I know what a lot of you are thinking but scooter is a bunny who knows what he wants and the one thing he has never wanted is loads of cuddles and being picked up. He hates it and always has. He likes his head being rubbed and his ears playing around with but other than that he avoids human contact unless its on his terms or he wants something. I have always respected his wishes despite being gutted that he has never wanted cuddles and being made a massive fuss over.

Please i really need your help i wanna get this right for him.

Would stable matting be an option...too difficult for him to dig into and eat, but no gaps for wee etc to go through, soft enough for hocks? I know the foam mats that slot together have been used for sore hocks but wasnt sure if wee in the joins would be an issue.

The wee in the joints wud be a pain but id be able to manage it. Id have to be careful when selecting the rubber matting as well because even though ud think he wudnt be able to have ago i know he wud if there was a slightly raised bit that he cud get his teeth on he wud have a pretty good go.

Ill be buying a new play pen as well preferable one with a door or a gate for me to get in and out of easy.

Back